Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who's the most overrated by the general public?
Steve Cunningham, "dominating no1 CW today" 2 1.36%
Chad Dawson, "top elite fighter, made Hopkins quit" 16 10.88%
Andre Ward, US media hype, premature P4P ranking 19 12.93%
Dmitry Pirog, "the Man after Sergio", he's a mere paperholder, barely escaped C-level Maciel 11 7.48%
Manny Pacquiao "improved P4P king" 62 42.18%
Amir Khan "man at LWW, would dominate Bradley" (emotional choice) 8 5.44%
Robert Guerrero "soon P4P-er elite" off Katsidis win, Yordan, Salido struggles ignored 1 0.68%
Yuriorkis Gamboa "(soon) P4P-er KO machine", still flawed, yet to fight true elite 2 1.36%
Nonito Donaire - "uncrowned SBW, FW, SFW champion" come on! 6 4.08%
Other - name the fighter you think that's not as good or accomplished as general public thinks 20 13.61%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #46
BigBone
It was man, it ****in was
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most overrated fighter by the general boxing public today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR BOXING View Post
why isn't Canelo in the options?
Why didn't you read the 1st post?
BigBone is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #47
DanishFightfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 4021

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesare-borgia View Post
Im going with ward, premature p4p ranking for a resume that isnt that impressive yet people act like he is already a hof and enxt p4p 1 superstar.
I consider him a very good boxer allthough I dont like his style, if he wins the s6 he deserves to be top 10 ranked imo.
Yeah, i mean what the **** is he doing on a top 10 P4P list?(I have even seen him being ranked ahead of both of the Klitschko brothers). I agree that he has the talent and potentiel to become a top P4P'er, but he is not there yet. If he beats Froch in december, he will take a step in the right direction..
But imo, Kessler, Froch, Pascal, Khan, Vitali, Bute are all ahead of Ward in terms of Resume..
Not saying that he should be ranked below all of these guys...
DanishFightfan is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #48
non-stop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Most overrated fighter by the general public today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipers View Post
Manny Pacquiao
Brandon Rios
Marcos Maidana

Im a fan of all three but they do get overrated
Brandon Rios For Sure.
non-stop is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #49
Delroc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1233

Donaire or Pirog.
Delroc is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #50
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Martinez needs to be on that list, I think.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #51
Prince.
24/7 365
East Side Guru

Why was Khan an emotional choice lol
I think Floyd's protege Jessie Vargas is overhyped and overated.
Timid Timmy has gone downhill... apparently there was alot of buzz when he started. Lets hope he gets on track and fights top 10 opponents.
Prince. is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #52
Chex31
AttackingLikeASlickApache
ESB Senior Member

Manny Pacquiao, easy.

Followed by Martinez.
Chex31 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #53
PaoloMirani
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This might come across as haterade but right now its gotta be JMM. Before u numbnuts start calling me pactard there are obvious reasons.....first of all JMM was impressive against Pac last wknd, but now all of a sudden this guys is mouthing off saying he's better than Pac. The reality of it is JMM, even moreso than Pac, looks great against opponents who come to him but put him against another technical/slick fighter and suddenly he looks average....Chris John hello? Derrick Gainer? Floyd...ok he gets a pass for that one. And don't give me this shit about him getting robbed. Te fact is he looked like shit in those fights.

Seriously, JMM is really a one dimensional fighter. Why do u think he keeps losing to Pac? When he needs to put a step forward, he looks like a deer in headlights. Get him out of his comfort zone....he's a B level fighter at best, getting dropped by Katsidis and roughed up by pudge boy Juan Diaz.. Lemme put it this way, he's about the same size as Pac but do any of u guys believe he'd last against Cotto, Margarito, shit even Hatton.

....ok my bad, this ended up sounding like haterade afterall, but someone needs to put this whole JMM hoopla intop perspective.
PaoloMirani is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #54
tito44
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloMirani View Post
This might come across as haterade but right now its gotta be JMM. Before u numbnuts start calling me pactard there are obvious reasons.....first of all JMM was impressive against Pac last wknd, but now all of a sudden this guys is mouthing off saying he's better than Pac. The reality of it is JMM, even moreso than Pac, looks great against opponents who come to him but put him against another technical/slick fighter and suddenly he looks average....Chris John hello? Derrick Gainer? Floyd...ok he gets a pass for that one. And don't give me this shit about him getting robbed. Te fact is he looked like shit in those fights.

Seriously, JMM is really a one dimensional fighter. Why do u think he keeps losing to Pac? When he needs to put a step forward, he looks like a deer in headlights. Get him out of his comfort zone....he's a B level fighter at best, getting dropped by Katsidis and roughed up by pudge boy Juan Diaz.. Lemme put it this way, he's about the same size as Pac but do any of u guys believe he'd last against Cotto, Margarito, shit even Hatton.

....ok my bad, this ended up sounding like haterade afterall, but someone needs to this whole JMM hoopla intop perspective.
I stopped reading soon as I saw JMM.
tito44 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #55
bataglia
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It's Guerrero - and I like him. Very impressive vs Katsidis and impressive overall lately, but Katsidis has been beaten a lot lately and has lost every time he's stepped up in class. Even though the performance was fantastic, it doesn't even warrant a p4p top 20 spot.

YET I see some people putting him in with Mayweather, Pac and says he would "school" Maidana. He has a chance vs Maidana, but the other guys would embarras him. He has flaws in defense (guard mainly, footwork's good) and not enough power to keep top fighters like JMM, Pac and Floyd in check (it's respectable, though). I'd make him the favorite vs Rios and Soto. Acosta is no easy match for him, though.

JMM would fins the gaps in his defense and knock him out. Guerrero will eat the right. Even though Robert's footwork and sharp jab will win him some rounds and give JMM with his slowing feet some early problems, JMM will find a way. Even more intelligent.

So my choice is Robert. Incredible how it all started after the Katsidis fight. Blows my mind.

Dawson, Donaire and Khan are rated right, I think. Dawson's become a little underrated, even. Donaire's win over Montiel is, apart from JMM's over Pac, the best win this year. Was perhaps THE best performance this year.

Ward very overrated. He didn't look all that vs Abraham and Bika and one excellent win doesn't catapult you into the p4p top 5. And for heavens sake, to the ones who are putting him so much highr than Bute - they have a lot of opponents in common and Bute's been beating them better! He's bordeline top 10, based mainly on ability. The ability is top 5 but he has to adapt better. He did against Kessler - after that a bit less clever.

Sergio a little overrated but his run is good. Borderline top 5. I'd pick him to stop Pirog and Sturm. Pirog's getting there though. One more year...

People putting Gamboa in the top 10 is just incredible. Nowhere near.

USS was never that rated anyway. He was (and still is) solid. Not the surefire #1 CW some people wanted it to be, though. Not been doing much lately.

Pac's not overrated. No way. What he's done is incredible. Shutting out Mosley, Mararito, Cotto and Clottey is extreme. Yes, Mosley was almost shot and Margo is very past it but they were still big and good. Had Floyd had that run - especially the demolition job of Cotto, remember the much anticipated fight betweeen Floyd and Miguel? - he would have been raised to the heavens. This forum brainwashes people.

Still, Floyd's win over Mosley was extremely impressive and he would school Pac. But to automatically put him as the best fighter in the world without fighting more often and proving it is not right. On ability he's the best, but that doesn't cut it for me. Depends on criteria.

Rios will be beaten very soon. He was very hurt vs Acosta so people shouldn't overestimate his chin. Felt Antillon's punches at some point too. JMM would knock him into next year and Guerrero and Khan dance circles aorund him. Gamboa might take him too.
bataglia is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #56
BeastsideBoxing
"The Thrill" Gavril
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe View Post
How is Bute overrated by general public? He is only really overrated by hardcore Bute fans who put him above Froch or Ward, most other people hate him or put him #3 in SMW below Froch or Ward where he should be imo.
Bute is not even that known by "the general boxing public"
There are still hardcore boxing fans that didn't knew about him untill the Pavlik-Martinez/Bute-Miranda double header that was suppose to build for an Pavlik-Bute on HBO. And some that got to know him after the Johnson fight.

Here's an example at 2:40 of this video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xewhdfPQg_k&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]
BeastsideBoxing is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2011, 03:36 AM   #57
BeastsideBoxing
"The Thrill" Gavril
East Side Guru

I say Rios.
BeastsideBoxing is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2011, 03:37 AM   #58
Jeff Young
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 7241

On that list? Pirog
Jeff Young is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #59
Exactabox
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 375

Canelo - Cintron will KO him.
Floyd - most overrated defensive fighter in the history of the sport.
Bradley - Garbage

Last edited by Exactabox; 11-20-2011 at 05:03 AM.
Exactabox is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 AM   #60
RickieLambert
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishFightfan View Post
Yeah, i mean what the **** is he doing on a top 10 P4P list?(I have even seen him being ranked ahead of both of the Klitschko brothers). I agree that he has the talent and potentiel to become a top P4P'er, but he is not there yet. If he beats Froch in december, he will take a step in the right direction..
But imo, Kessler, Froch, Pascal, Khan, Vitali, Bute are all ahead of Ward in terms of Resume..
Not saying that he should be ranked below all of these guys...
Really?
RickieLambert is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum