Old 03-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #1486
marty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengloves
yep,being irish these days is more of a state of mind rather than your birthplace.do those who fought the british in canda under the flag of ireland for irish freedom consider themselves irish,i most certainly would think so.i cant wait to move back home and live in ireland again,ive only been gone 3 years,but my whole sense irishness has been reinvigorated.london is an amazing city and definatly worth seeing,but then again why go there when you have dublin,the history that place has is amazing,walk past the GPO and you still cansee the bullet holes of 1916,come to derry,walk the city walls.
go to galway and kerry and look over the atlantic,true beauty.walk through the antrim glens and see true irishness in a society dominated by westernism,it really is a beautiful thing.as soon as i get the money together and ready to settle down the first thing i'm doing is moving out of the city and heading to the country.

was in florida (for guess what lol) some 10 years ago with the family, and went to NYC for a holiday 4 years ago,loved the place.
next time will be to see john duddy fighting in MSG,just cant wait.

irish boxing is so rich in history it is a shame that it waned over the last 20 years,although thanks to some great promotion it is firmly back in the hearts and minds of the people.

o yea,when anyone comes to ireland,you must get to croke park for any type of gaelic game ... its a magnificent scene.
Im thinking about going to Pavlik/Duddy, here it could be a quere session, that weekend.
marty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #1487
iceman
Tis my Island
ESB Addict

vCash: 12406665

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml
I am basically the only one in my family who has not been yet, but I am going to make it a point to go in the next few years. I want to see the rural countryside and would also make it up to Belfast. It may pain you guys but i will also go over and see London and maybe Scotland. However, if you guys keep sending over your best fighters i might not need to go (lol). Have any of you lads been to the States?
Ml - i've lived in Chicago for the past 12 years,only been to NY once for a short weekend and never left McClain ave
iceman is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #1488
ml
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I never been to chi-town but have friends and family who love it. Its got the irish flavor like Boston and New York. How could a town run by a character like the old man mayor Daley(emphasize what a character!)not be a great town.
ml is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #1489
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

vCash: 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml
I never been to chi-town but have friends and family who love it. Its got the irish flavor like Boston and New York. How could a town run by a character like the old man mayor Daley(emphasize what a character!)not be a great town.
Yeah I've heard there's a large Irish community there.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #1490
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

JUNIOR MIDDLEWEIGHT JAMES MOORE STIRS IN THE SAUCE
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
ardy is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #1491
decyboy86

vCash:

Guys im finding it hard to believe the amount of critisism that andy lee has got for fridays loss to brian vera.Ok,he was bound to get critisism and thats expected because he did dissapoint,but people calling him a duck fighter and not able for boxing are completely wide of the mark......yes he needs some work but the kid has talent for sure, and i would put alot of money on him beating vera well in a rematch.And how many top fighters have we seen with the famous '0' on the record....thats right, not many.Andy lee will be back and much stronger. Sorry for rambling on just pissed of at guy's who have seen that 1 fight on friday and are judging him already.....
Old 03-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #1492
greengloves
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decyboy86
Guys im finding it hard to believe the amount of critisism that andy lee has got for fridays loss to brian vera.Ok,he was bound to get critisism and thats expected because he did dissapoint,but people calling him a duck fighter and not able for boxing are completely wide of the mark......yes he needs some work but the kid has talent for sure, and i would put alot of money on him beating vera well in a rematch.And how many top fighters have we seen with the famous '0' on the record....thats right, not many.Andy lee will be back and much stronger. Sorry for rambling on just pissed of at guy's who have seen that 1 fight on friday and are judging him already.....
in honesty mate,you'll just have to get used to it if you're going to talk about boxing on this site,if you aren't sugar ray you ain't nothing in these guys eyes,they talk about lee's flaws and praise vera but the gulf in technical class was obvious from the first bell,just a case of lee being dragged kicking and screaming into a match he didnt want.
it pisses me off too,people don't realise that in boxing people can get beat and still be a very good boxer,its only down to the inactivity of fighters that it is magnified,if a fighter fought every month,it wouldnt matter,and if a rematch is made i will be cheering on lee for every second!
greengloves is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #1493
goldenboy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
i know how ya feel mate!! it is irratating but I have as much faith in andy lee as i ever did. We know how capable he is so fingers crossed for a rematch and then were back on track..
goldenboy is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #1494
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

BAZAN PREDICTS McCLOSKEY DOWNFALL
ardy is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #1495
mike4819
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

There's a ton of assholes on the esb forums, half of them never threw a punch in anger and are so willing to call someone a bum. Pay them no mind! Manny SHOULD have kept his mouth shut, but they would have hated Andy anyway!
i've never seen any unfair "bad-mouthing" of any fighter on Ardy's section. Mostly positive stuff, information sharing etc.!
mike4819 is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #1496
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4819
There's a ton of assholes on the esb forums, half of them never threw a punch in anger and are so willing to call someone a bum. Pay them no mind! Manny SHOULD have kept his mouth shut, but they would have hated Andy anyway!
i've never seen any unfair "bad-mouthing" of any fighter on Ardy's section. Mostly positive stuff, information sharing etc.!
Yeah, there is a lot of Lee haters out there.It's up to Lee to prove them wrong.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #1497
mickrick1
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Top Rank to cancel Lee deal

mickrick1 is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #1498
Shamrock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Lee has a ways to go, I did see him susceptable to a persistant slugger. Lee didn't seem to know how to punch short. Like it or lump it you cannot always control a fight at distance, you have to know how to fight in close as well to be the all round fighter. Thats my take for what its worth.
Shamrock is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #1499
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrick1
Top Rank to cancel Lee deal

Thank's for that mick, it's good to hear Lee is still confident.Bob Arum can bangle his deal, there is alot of money to made here in Ireland and Europe.

I know what you mean about Lee punching on the inside Shamrock, a few well delivered hooks on the inside, wouldn't have went amiss on Vera during Friday's fight.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #1500
mickrick1
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Lee has a ways to go, I did see him susceptable to a persistant slugger. Lee didn't seem to know how to punch short. Like it or lump it you cannot always control a fight at distance, you have to know how to fight in close as well to be the all round fighter. Thats my take for what its worth.
Shamrock - you're a boxing coach - in your opinion would it be a huge job to transform Andy Lee's ability to fight in close or learn to 'tie up'. Is this an area that taller fighters normally find difficult. Surely he will always find it difficult against a Ricky Hatton type fighter unless this is addressed.
From my limited knowledge of the game this would appear to be Andy's biggest deficiency - he seemed to lack stamina the other night but that can be addressed - he didn't throw the right hook in combination with the straight left again this can be sorted. His head movement wasn't brilliant but again I take it this can be improved upon.
I would be interested in your take on the above.
mickrick1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum