Old 01-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #15107
Jonny The Hips
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam View Post
I heard a rumour about Macklin a while back but I didn't post it up because I thought it was a big dirty waffle. I would have looked like a right clever bastard now if I had!

I agree with you there to an extent Steve. Changing trainers is always a big decision and not something that should be done often or lightly. I thought Macklin looked good with Gallagher.

That said, though, how hard would it be for Macklin to say no to Freddie Roach. He's just about to hit world level and he has the chance to work with (arguably) the best trainer in the world. Too hard to turn down I reckon
Plus working with Freddie also opens a lot of doors! thats three irish fighters in wild card now....
Jonny The Hips is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #15108
Steve Wellings
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Steve Wellings is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #15109
moorser
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

good pics steve , is that fight definatley going ahead in england , it should be in belfast i cant get my head around why it isnt
moorser is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #15110
BamBam
The Brick Fist Mafia
ESB Addict

I like his yellow handwraps. I need to buy new ones. Mine are raggedy as **** these days. Nice snaps Steve
BamBam is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #15111
southpaw jab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1533

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardy View Post
You will be eating your words, once Lee takes the title from Pavlik.
Kelly Pavlik would kill Andy Lee, literally! The closest Andy Lee is ever going to come to the world championship is sitting ringside.
southpaw jab is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #15112
moorser
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw jab View Post
Kelly Pavlik would kill Andy Lee, literally! The closest Andy Lee is ever going to come to the world championship is sitting ringside.
like hopkins nearly killed pavlik like literally!
****in noob
moorser is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #15113
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw jab View Post
thanks for for popping by!
slapbangwhallop is online now  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #15114
nutter
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Duddy positive on Pacquaio slot
26 January 2010 - By Cormac Campbell Irish middleweight star John Duddy has told irish-boxing.com about his hopes of appearing on the undercard of Manny Pacquaio’s clash with Joshua Clottey.
New York based Derryman Duddy was speaking after an impressive first round stoppage of Juan Astorga at Madison Square Garden last Saturday. And Duddy feels, after a difficult year in 2009 – which included a defeat against Billy Lyell – fortune will be on his side in 2010.
“I'm over the moon after Saturday night,” he enthused.
“I started really fast and my timing and punches were just flowing from the bell. I stunned him with a good right and I never let him recover. I finished him with a solid left hook to the body.”
The mooted slot on the undercard of Pacquaio vs Clottey at Cowboy’s Stadium on March 13 would appear to be the perfect opportunity for Duddy to secure a World Title shot – but the Derryman, 28-1 (18KO) is refusing to count his chickens before they have hatched.
“The fight on the undercard of Pacquaio vs Clottey isn't finalized,” he admitted. “But I hope it works out. It will one of the biggest fights this year and the event itself is supposed to be massive. It's a new stadium and their talking of about 75,000 people to attend it.
“It don't get much bigger than that!!!”
With such a carrot dangling in front of him, Duddy is wasting little time in ensuring that he will be in tip top condition.
“I'm back in the gym and looking forward to whatever is coming,” he said.
“If all goes well, I should be in action pretty often this year.
nutter is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #15115
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorser View Post
duddy-astorga

Nice one Moorse.

Duddy looked good there - picked his man off with a good range of accurate shots.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #15116
nutter
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Irish Boxing Stars are honored at Awards Ceremony

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] (Photo by Jacqueline Galway: left to right; Martin Rogan, Eddie Hyland, Kevin O'Hara, Jamie Conlan, Paul McCloskey, Martin Lindsay, Patrick Hyland, Gary O'Sullivan, Neil Sinclair & Carl Frampton).

Brendan Galbraith: Saturday 23rd January 2010. The cream of Irish boxing attended the Bogart Menswear National Boxing Awards in An Culturlann, Belfast, to celebrate the current stars of Irish boxing and their predecessors.

Bernard Dunne was named Boxer of the Year. The Dubliner, who prevailed in one of the most exciting fights of the year to secure the WBA super-bantamweight title from Ricardo Cordoba in March 2009, beat off stellar [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] from European champions Matthew Macklin and Paul McCloskey. Dunne was unable to attend the ceremony due to prior commitments, however his trainer, Harry Hawkins was on hand to accept the award..

Belfast Super Bantamweight Carl Frampton (3-0), who is managed by Barry McGuigan and trained by Gerry Storey (senior and junior) was named Prospect of the Year. Before joining the pro ranks last year, Frampton impressed in the amateur ranks as a two-time Irish Junior Champion and several multi-nation titles. The heavy-handed orthodox has an exciting trajectory ahead of him that will enviably feature more fistic appearances on Irish cards and a surge for titles.

The Irish Champion of the Year award was presented to super-featherweight champion Eddie Hyland (Tallaght) in recognition of recent victories over domestic rivals Kevin O’Hara and Oisin Fagan.

Belfast’s John Breen was awarded Coach of the Year after another successful year in his Lombard Street [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

The award ceremony, now in its second year, was compeered by Irish-boxing.com editor, Cormac Campbell and featured a keynote address by Boxing Union of Ireland President, Mel Christie.

Boxing historian and author Barry Flynn made a presentation on the careers of boxing legends John Caldwell and John McNally – inducting the duo into the Hall of Fame. On the night, there was also a special exhibition that charted the history of boxing in Ireland.
nutter is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #15117
nutter
Contender
ESB Senior Member

nutter is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #15118
mike4819
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Don't know if it would make any sense career-wise, but I'd love to see Duddy fight Smichet again and maybe Brian Vera.
mike4819 is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #15119
iceman
Tis my Island
ESB Addict

vCash: 12406665

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4819 View Post
Don't know if it would make any sense career-wise, but I'd love to see Duddy fight Smichet again and maybe Brian Vera.
I bet you thats who slapbangbollocks was talking about as a possible Duddy opponentIt makes sense.Vera is a native Texan,he defeated Lee,if Duddy beats him well it sets up a title shot and a future bout with Lee

Duddy /Vera at Cowboys stadium on the pac/Clottey undercard - you heard it hear first from a totally unreliable source
iceman is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #15120
barry big balls
You cant handle the truth
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
I bet you thats who slapbangbollocks was talking about as a possible Duddy opponentIt makes sense.Vera is a native Texan,he defeated Lee,if Duddy beats him well it sets up a title shot and a future bout with Lee

Duddy /Vera at Cowboys stadium on the pac/Clottey undercard - you heard it hear first from a totally unreliable source
I doubt duddy is fighting vera next as brian is fighting issac rodrigez on the 26th of february.
barry big balls is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum