Old 03-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #1576
high tower
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardy
Hello High Tower, I see your a newcomer to the forum. Belfast boxing has "went to the dogs" in recent years,,but are best prospect is Martin Lindsay,an undefeated featherweight. We also have veteran Neil Sinclair still plugging away, he fights on RTE tomorrow night. Also undefeated heavy Martin Rogan fights in that heavyweight tournament in England on SKY in April. So we have still something to cheer about. Don't be a stranger.
I forgot about Lyndsay, he's a great talent and is sure to make a splash if he gets regular meaningful fights. Correct me if i'm wrong but Lyndsay hasn't recieved great levels of support which is surprising considering he comes from the mac, though i'm sure that will change once he gets a bigger profile.

I didnt realise big rogie was on the bill, that should be interesting and i'd be confident in him taking it. not the biggest talent but a good strong scrapper who can bang!

Whats Sinky doing with himself these days, is he training hard? There have been whispers about him and his love of the good life getting in the way!
high tower is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #1577
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengloves
there's one thing that you can never doubt duddy for and that is his heart and chin,with this he is unlikely to get knocked out by anyone outside the top 7-8 and when he wants to box he can box to a very high level,to say he has no skill is really quite demeaning to the way he fought against eastman and also the last 6 rounds against smichet,of course duddy doesnt seem to have the power that we once all thought he does but this doesnt diminish the fact he is a very good boxer,above domestic level and euro level.
The biggest positive for me from the Smichet fight was he was able to get his feet under him and and box. Reigning in the emotion at that point could not have been a small task for him. And, since I'm sure he won't forget that lesson anytime soon, perhaps a very good thing to have happened.
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #1578
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

vCash: 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by high tower
I forgot about Lyndsay, he's a great talent and is sure to make a splash if he gets regular meaningful fights. Correct me if i'm wrong but Lyndsay hasn't recieved great levels of support which is surprising considering he comes from the mac, though i'm sure that will change once he gets a bigger profile.

I didnt realise big rogie was on the bill, that should be interesting and i'd be confident in him taking it. not the biggest talent but a good strong scrapper who can bang!

Whats Sinky doing with himself these days, is he training hard? There have been whispers about him and his love of the good life getting in the way!
Well Sinky fights tomorrow night,we will see then how fit he is then.But McCloskey was all praises about Neil and the sparring their having on the build-up to there fights tomorror. Lindsey fights next month in Canada, and apparently 100 from Belfast are making the trip to watch him.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #1579
marty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit
The biggest positive for me from the Smichet fight was he was able to get his feet under him and and box. Reigning in the emotion at that point could not have been a small task for him. And, since I'm sure he won't forget that lesson anytime soon, perhaps a very good thing to have happened.
I agree, but Duddy needs to work on so much to become a complete fighter!!!
marty is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #1580
high tower
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Well Sinky fights tomorrow night,we will see then how fit he is then.But McCloskey was all praises about Neil and the sparring their having on the build-up to there fights tomorror. Lindsey fights next month in Canada, and apparently 100 from Belfast are making the trip to watch him.
In that case it's good to see Lyndsay get some support behind him, I hope things turn out well for him.

It will be good to see Sinky get one last payday, I'd love to see him in against Wayne Alexander, now that would be a war while it lasts
high tower is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #1581
Buddy La
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 809

If anyone is familiar with Youtube.com, there is a nice video documentary on John Duddy after the Smichet fight. I'm unable to post it, sorry ... but it's a good video to watch to understand how disappointed he was after the Smichet fight, even when he won!
Buddy La is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #1582
greengloves
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy La
If anyone is familiar with Youtube.com, there is a nice video documentary on John Duddy after the Smichet fight. I'm unable to post it, sorry ... but it's a good video to watch to understand how disappointed he was after the Smichet fight, even when he won!
yea,its been posted up here before,its from bbc northern ireland,very good little documentary and its shows the contrast of emotion before the fight to after brilliantly.i can't help but to feel for him.
greengloves is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #1583
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by high tower
In that case it's good to see Lyndsay get some support behind him, I hope things turn out well for him.

It will be good to see Sinky get one last payday, I'd love to see him in against Wayne Alexander, now that would be a war while it lasts
I think Sinky problem is confidence.He is an insecure guy, and I know things about him that are not public knowledge, which I wouldn't talk about here. But if he can get his head right, he can win the British title again. McInter [wrong spelling]defeated Kevin Anderson twice, Sinclair can Ko McInter easy.And he can beat Micheal Jennings also, if he is back to anywhere near his best again.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #1584
sandwedge
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 178

I'll go with mccloskey descion tomorrow. Mccloskey's defence is very good, he either leans back or roll's with hook's and avoids jabs by using head movement. His best punch is his right uppercut but it doesn't connect a lot of the time but when it does it nearly always stuns them. His timing was amazeing in his last fight.

Last edited by Ion85; 04-22-2007 at 10:30 AM.
sandwedge is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #1585
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
That's a decent sugguestion,but an Irish Forum doesn't stop at the island of Ireland, it encompasses the whole nation of Ireland, which includes Irish-America and our Irish compatriots "down under". So tieing us down to a geographical location wont work.Thanks for the sugguestion anyway.
No one is suggesting you should be tied down, mate...but, as you say, it doesn't really matter what forum you post under, as long as you will all find the threads you're interested in easier than in General, right? European is pretty quiet; there's a low turnover of threads...that's why I'd post there...
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #1586
marty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwedge
I'll go with mccloskey descion tomorrow. Mccloskey's defence is very good, he either leans back or roll's with hook's and avoids jabs by using head movement. His best punch is his right uppercut but it doesn't connect a lot of the time but when it does it nearly always stuns them. His timing was amazeing in his last fight.
Its going to be tough, gut i agree with you.
marty is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #1587
Shamrock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
It's not me that is suguestion this forum, it's other regulars on the thread. I,m only rebutting a post that we should join with the British forum.
This thread is building, I see no reason why we can't have an Ireland Forum! If Australia can, we can! The thread as it stands is going to get too big for ESB to maintain on the regular forum. It'll become so huge they'll have too delete it?
Shamrock is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #1588
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty
I agree, but Duddy needs to work on so much to become a complete fighter!!!
Well, boxing 'fans' complain and call fighters protected (and I'm sure some are) but it is a rough game and one lesson at a time can be enough. Duddy now knows he needs to step it up another level. I'm sure he will have the movtivation and desire to do so.
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #1589
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
This thread is building, I see no reason why we can't have an Ireland Forum! If Australia can, we can! The thread as it stands is going to get too big for ESB to maintain on the regular forum. It'll become so huge they'll have too delete it?
The bigger problem is that it includes too many topics so going back and looking one up would be harder. It is more about keeping ideas organized. If you tried to start threads under the 'general boxing forum', they would just get buried. Say one for Duddy, one for Lee...... Plus they would be inundated with the regular 'haters'.
Hermit is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #1590
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit
The bigger problem is that it includes too many topics so going back and looking one up would be harder. It is more about keeping ideas organized. If you tried to start threads under the 'general boxing forum', they would just get buried. Say one for Duddy, one for Lee...... Plus they would be inundated with the regular 'haters'.
It's hard to know, what is right. A forum by ourselves, although tempting, might fall on it,s face.I suppose it depends if we get more regulars.

Hermit, have you an Irish grandparent or great grandparent. Because, if you have your in, offically Irish.Lets do an Irish jig to swear you in.
ardy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum