Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #16531
Podge
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Irish Boxing

What you make of tonight's Prizefighter, BamBam and Mush?

Interesting where Sinky goes next. Christ, Prince Arron and Duddy wouldn't be a two-round demolition now, methinks. I can remember at ringside at their fight thinking this kid had a lovely jab but was terrified of the occasion. And I mean terrified.
Podge is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #16532
BamBam
The Brick Fist Mafia
ESB Addict

I think Arron looked better than he is. Flournoy dealt with him nicely and, although caught with a nice shot to set up the KD, was somewhat bundled to the floor. In my book Flournoy won the boxing match but lost the war due to the KD.

That said Arron boxed rings around Pryce. And Pryce beat Sinky on a clear SD (if such a thing exists but you know what I mean). I don't know what Sinky can do. He may rely took much on the powder keg punches.

I thought it was less exciting than some prizefighters but thats probably because they were all evenly matched. There were no massive underdogs going for broke knowing a miracle punch was their only chance. Everyone had some sort of chane in the QFs.

I know he lost but Flournoy was my boxer of the night. I don't think he can go too far but he's a tidy little boxer. I think he should get to brit domestic level.
BamBam is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #16533
Podge
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I watched it with the commentary off first and then back on again. It's amazing what Jim Watt sees. He nearly called Arron-Pryce round one a 10-8. Come on, like!
Podge is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #16534
tony mush
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
What you make of tonight's Prizefighter, BamBam and Mush?

Interesting where Sinky goes next. Christ, Prince Arron and Duddy wouldn't be a two-round demolition now, methinks. I can remember at ringside at their fight thinking this kid had a lovely jab but was terrified of the occasion. And I mean terrified.
think hes really showed his years tonight.perhaps retirement.if not mabye a rubbermatch with pryce or a defence of his irish title against spike.

yeah arron really suprised me tonight.but then again all i seen of him before tonight was the duddy match.just wondering his matchmaking seems very strange seems he fights complete journeyman then decent prospects and loses.well before tonight obviously.who manages him?
tony mush is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #16535
Steve Wellings
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Maybe Sinky could get himself on the Egan card against James Moore now, as Cormac suggested. It would be a good gauge as to how much more he has left.
Steve Wellings is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #16536
BamBam
The Brick Fist Mafia
ESB Addict

Yeah it would help make it a bumper card too. He has enough left to deal with the Henry Coyles of this world but I don't know if he has a lot more than that.
BamBam is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #16537
boxingbrain
Journeyman

vCash: 500

i hear jj mdonagh is on the peters show in april is this true?
boxingbrain is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #16538
D-nunan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingbrain View Post
i hear jj mdonagh is on the peters show in april is this true?
Any1 know anything about the peters show in april?
D-nunan is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #16539
nutter
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Boxing: Egan cruises to brink of historic perfect 10

By Bernard O'Neill

Saturday February 27 2010

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] is a mere nine minutes away from winning a historic 10th consecutive Irish title after recording a landslide win over [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] in the semi-finals of the Elite National Senior Championships at the National Stadium last night.
The 2008 Olympic silver-medalist, who had beaten his Grangecon light-heavyweight opponent twice in 12 months prior to last night's bout, was 3-1 up at the end of a a low-tempo first round.
Egan, though, upped the pace to stretch his lead to 12-1 by the end of the second and added another nine points to his tally in the final frame to claim a 21-2 decision. The Neilstown southpaw will now meet either [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] -- who meet tonight -- in next weekends 81kg final.
Countering
"Once I got my distance, I was making him miss and countering to the head and body," said Egan, who beat McCarthy 9-5 in last year's final by Egan.
"I'm flying at these Championships and now I'm just looking forward to getting in the ring next weekend."
Defending champions [Only registered and activated users can see links. ],[Only registered and activated users can see links. ], [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] -- who received a walkover after [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] had to pull out injured -- and AIBA World Youth champion [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] also progressed to next weekend's deciders.
Donovan, of the St Michael's, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] club, recorded a convincing 10-2 victory over [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and said: "Tonight was more of a threat than last week, but while I was pleased with the win there is always room for improvement."
Moylette was 4-0 down in the first round of a full-blooded duel against defending 64kg champ [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] from Crumlin BC, but turned things around in spectacular fashion to lead 8-5 at the end of the second. Both boxers ceded two points apiece after receiving public warnings in the third, leaving the score at 10-8 to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s Moylette. However, despite being put under enormous pressure from Sutcliffe in the final two minutes, Moylette held out to win by a two-point margin.
McLaughlin beat [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 5-0. Meanwhile, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] came from behind to edge out [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] on a razor-thin 12-11 countback after both both boxers were tied at 6-6 after three top-class featherweight rounds.
Lindberg was 2-1 up at the end of the first and 5-4 ahead at the end of the second, but McCullough twice restored parity with body shots in the final frame en route to having his hand raised on accepted scores in a repeat of the recent [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] final which Lindberg won on a 7-6 countback.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] saw off the challenge of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] in the flyweight decider. An impressive 8-2 victory over his Belfast opponent -- who had [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s former coach [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] working his corner -- did the business for the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] man.
The flyweight belt became vacant after defending champion [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] withdrew because of a hand injury.
The featherweight title is also vacant following [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s decision to ink a pro deal with [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s stable last year.
St Francis, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] welterweight [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] the intermediate 69kg champion, forced [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] into a standing count in the first en route to a 10-3 win in the only female semi-final of the evening.
nutter is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #16540
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Hey is Duddy's fight on the 13th a showcase fight or what? It seems like a pretty lopsided affair.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #16541
tony mush
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
Hey is Duddy's fight on the 13th a showcase fight or what? It seems like a pretty lopsided affair.
all his fights have been since the lyell loss there building him up again
tony mush is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #16542
puca
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 697

Joyce lads having a good night in the stadium JJ Joyce beat roy sheehan Dave Oliver Joyce beat Ross Hickey
puca is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #16543
puca
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 697

Other winner so Far Ahern beat Conlon,Fryers beat Kilroy, Donnelly beat Upton.
puca is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #16544
nutter
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Boxing: Senior Championships round-up

Saturday, 27 February 2010 22:50
John Joe Joyce beat Roy Sheahan 10-2 in an all St Michael's Athy welterweight semi final at the Irish Daily Star sponsored Elite National Championships at the National Stadium.
The Beijing Olympian, nicknamed triple J, was 3-1 ahead at the bell for the end of the first and was 6-1 in front at the end of the second.
Joyce, officially ranked sixth in the world, paid tribute to Sheahan after his win.

He said: 'Roy is a world class boxer. We were sparring during the week and Roy must have won ever round. Tonight was just about who won on the night, it's all about on the night.'
Meanwhile, European Youth champ Jason Quigley had to come from behind to see off the challenge of European senior bronze medalist Eamon O'Kane in an all Ulster middleweight semi final,
while Tommy McCarthy will meet defending champion Ken Egan in a repeat of the 2009 light heavyweight final.
Senior debutant Quigley was 1-0 in arrears inside the opening minute of the first, but upped the tempo in the second to lead 6-1. A further four points in the third sealed an impressive victory for the classy 18 year old Finn Valley club-man.
McCarthy, a bronze medal winner at the 2008 World Youth Championships, beat Michael Ward 6-3 in his third bout at Irish and Ulster senior level since being out for nine months with a hand injury.
Former champ Conor Ahern has to use his vast experience to see off the challenge of Belfast ace Michael Conlon in a top class flyweight duel. Trailing 5-2 at the end of the second round the Dubliner produced a blistering final frame to win by a three point margin.
Immaculata featherweight James Fryers laid the foundations for his victory over Sean Kilroy in the first round, which he won 3-0. He was still leading 3-0 going into the third after neither boxer made an impression on the computer in the second.
Kilroy pulled one back early in the third, but Fryers added another two points to his tally to record a well deserved win. The lightweight duel between EU champ David Oliver Joyce and 2008 European bronze medalist Ross Hickey went the way of the St Michael's Athy man.
Hickey, boxing comfortably behind his right jab, opened up a 2-0 lead in the first, but Joyce leveled it at 2-2 and was 7-3 up at the end of the second after repeatedly stepping inside Hickey's reach to blast home sharp combinations to the head and body. Joyce, who claimed his EU gold at featherweight, registered the only three points of the final round.
Joyce, a winner of four senior titles in the past, will now meet his St Michael's Athy team-mate and defending champion Eric Donovan - who has also won four Irish senior titles - in next weekend's 60Kg final.

Meantime, Stephen Donnelly moved to within one bout of adding an Irish senior belt to his recently acquired Ulster senior title courtesy of an 8-6 win over Sonny Upton in an all Antrim light welterweight decider.
However, the All Saints man, who was 4-2 ahead in the second, was 6-5 down early in the third before he pulled away in the final 60 seconds. Kelly Harrington had her hand raised in victory from
the only Elite female meeting of the night, a 10-6 decision setting up a 69Kg final with Intermediate champ Jessica Lyons.
Alan Reynolds, a five time Irish senior champion in the past, beat Drimnagh heavyweight Jimmy Sweeney and Tommy Sheehan record the St Michael's Athy clubs third win of the night at the expense of Gareth Smith.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
nutter is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #16545
Paddy
ESB Founders Club
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
New role in my job, Mush, takes up loads of time. For a disorganised miscreant like myself, it took a few weeks to adjust. I missed you SOBs.

Good card on in the CityWest in April. No excuses, we must all go and turn that sumbitch Black and Yella that night, ESB Irish-thread style. A few of us should stay over if we all save a few quid, we'd have the craic before, during and after.

I've been breakin' Tommy Egan's balls to get Prunty on the show, as Paddy threatened to go nuclear on me if I didn't.
Its not a show without Prunty! I'm going to see about getting Jedward to do the ring walk with him!
Paddy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum