Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #29596
misticmonk
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 605
vCash: 400
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny The Hips View Post
lads Soccer, Rugby etc are much cheaper to show than boxing-i heard Setanta paid less than 20,000 for a full season of Magners league rugby. To film a boxing show seems to cost twice that amount?

I think slap's approach might be better- this fight is certainly one the public are interested in- so it should be shown by the public service broadcaster...

I think Hyde's point in the following is interesting.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

In around about way he asks if RTE are to show an irish title fight later in the year(which costs the same amount if not more to broadcast than this fight) but not show the world title fight questions will be asked! That is the worrying thing- if we are to believe Ryle either they have picked dates with peters for the year and will stick to them or we could have no boxing on tv this year at all! Peters has given them good shows and i recall Andy Lee getting same ratings as hurling or GAA game (300,000) so how can they be loosing cash?

instead of getting onto RTE could we tempt a ig Limerick business to come to the rescue. Pay for the broadcasting of the show and get all the good will and publicity that would go with that?
How about "Truly Irish Rashers" they have been doing a lot of advertising since they launched in the last two years, and it might be a brand that would gel with the event. Contacts, conversations and sending out feelers can't do any harm.

J.P.McManus is a great sporting man and Limerick native but I don't think you can just hold out a begging bowl and ask him to pay for it but there maybe some angle that could make it work.

I am going to make a plea to the Limerick TDs expressing the worth of lending their support to Casey.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
misticmonk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #29597
paddymickey
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,540
vCash: 933
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by misticmonk View Post
How about "Truly Irish Rashers" they have been doing a lot of advertising since they launched in the last two years, and it might be a brand that would gel with the event. Contacts, conversations and sending out feelers can't do any harm.

J.P.McManus is a great sporting man and Limerick native but I don't think you can just hold out a begging bowl and ask him to pay for it but there maybe some angle that could make it work.

I am going to make a plea to the Limerick TDs expressing the worth of lending their support to Casey.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
What if McManus got to be an official sponsor. Therefore he get's a load of avertising a la Hunky Dory's or Ladbrookes style?
paddymickey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #29598
lukekiko
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel 09 View Post
J. P. McManus is the man to get onto he's worth about 1.2 billion surely he could give a handout for a fellow limerick man.
good shout a sponser should come in and foot the bill would be great publicity for them hopefully happens i know someone sponsered the hylands to get there show in the basketball arena shown on setanta think the fee was around 12 grand.
lukekiko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #29599
leighton
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,131
vCash: 650
Default Re: Irish Boxing

With the amount of cash JP splashes about it could well be worth a shot. He has been known to sponser a lot of chairities within the Limerick area and businesses as well as horse racing. Sadly I just cant see him getting involved in this. A bookie would be the best way forward. Paddy Power havnt been involved with Boxing so for a major bookie here they would be ideal. I feel its a case of Dolphil would have to get a main sponser on board. IF they were to get that and go to a TV station and say that this sponser is willing to give X amount to go off the cost of the fight will you put the remainer to it maybe they would get someone to take it on.
leighton is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #29600
tony mush
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vazquez & Marquez are heroes
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 2863
Default Re: Irish Boxing

send off one to rooooooiiiiilllleeee
tony mush is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #29601
ó Cuinneagáin
Tree hugger
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Anaclann Dúlra an Traonaigh
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Default Re: Irish Boxing

"Dear Mr. O' Dea,

I am contacting you in relation to the WBA World Title fight on the 19th of March in City West, Dublin between Guillermo Rigondeaux and Willie Casey, who is as you know a Limerick and Southill native.

This fight is not to be shown on RTE, even though it's being offered for free by the fight promoters Dolphil Promoters.

I know you are a proud Limerick city man and Limerick sporting fan. I remember you cheering Limerick on against Kilkenny in the 2007. As a fellow Limerick city man, you know well the negative light in which the media portrays our native city.

Here is a man coming from one of Limerick's most deprived areas fighting for a World Title after only 11 fights. The man is a hero for the people of Limerick city and is on the cusp of greatness. The people of Limerick City and Ireland need to see Willie Casey fight for a world title on terrestrial television. It would be a total shame if Limerick and Irish people are unable to see and cheer this great sportsman on.

Although I no longer live in Limerick, I always gave you my Number 1 vote. My father also is a long tine Fianna Fáil supporter and has canvassed for you in numerous elections.

Thanking you in advance,

Feargal ó Cuinneagáin."

Sent to the Legend that is Willie O' Dea.
Willie O' Dea always looks after his own. E-mails to Willie might help....

ó Cuinneagáin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #29602
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,816
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ó Cuinneagáin View Post
"Dear Mr. O' Dea,

I am contacting you in relation to the WBA World Title fight on the 19th of March in City West, Dublin between Guillermo Rigondeaux and Willie Casey, who is as you know a Limerick and Southill native.

This fight is not to be shown on RTE, even though it's being offered for free by the fight promoters Dolphil Promoters.

I know you are a proud Limerick city man and Limerick sporting fan. I remember you cheering Limerick on against Kilkenny in the 2007. As a fellow Limerick city man, you know well the negative light in which the media portrays our native city.

Here is a man coming from one of Limerick's most deprived areas fighting for a World Title after only 11 fights. The man is a hero for the people of Limerick city and is on the cusp of greatness. The people of Limerick City and Ireland need to see Willie Casey fight for a world title on terrestrial television. It would be a total shame if Limerick and Irish people are unable to see and cheer this great sportsman on.

Although I no longer live in Limerick, I always gave you my Number 1 vote. My father also is a long tine Fianna Fáil supporter and has canvassed for you in numerous elections.

Thanking you in advance,

Feargal ó Cuinneagáin."

Sent to the Legend that is Willie O' Dea.
Willie O' Dea always looks after his own. E-mails to Willie might help....
Mumham Abu!
Luimenach Abu!
Casey Abu!
Clinton is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #29603
Ectoplasm
BOXING IS DEAD
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dublin (and Clare)
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Irish Boxing

While I do feel it's a disgrace that RTÉ aren't showing this, I don't think it's right to bring race into it. People are suggesting that they don't want to show it because Willie's a traveller. I'm sure that has nothing to do with it. They always show Andy Lee's fights in Ireland. The reasons they have given for not showing it are not at all satisfactory but it's not right to suggest that it has anything to do with Willie's background.
Ectoplasm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #29604
tony mush
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vazquez & Marquez are heroes
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 2863
Default Re: Irish Boxing

i think if there was a dub fighting in it it be shown tbh
tony mush is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #29605
Max Banjo
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,100
vCash: 3325
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighton View Post
With the amount of cash JP splashes about it could well be worth a shot. He has been known to sponser a lot of chairities within the Limerick area and businesses as well as horse racing. Sadly I just cant see him getting involved in this. A bookie would be the best way forward. Paddy Power havnt been involved with Boxing so for a major bookie here they would be ideal. I feel its a case of Dolphil would have to get a main sponser on board. IF they were to get that and go to a TV station and say that this sponser is willing to give X amount to go off the cost of the fight will you put the remainer to it maybe they would get someone to take it on.

they sponsored Rogie if i remember rightly...
Max Banjo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #29606
ah,sure
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,267
vCash: 2075
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony mush View Post
i think if there was a dub fighting in it it be shown tbh
It could be worse.

He could be from Cork
ah,sure is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #29607
tony mush
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vazquez & Marquez are heroes
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 2863
Default Re: Irish Boxing

yeah then he wouldnt get a minute of airtime
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah,sure View Post
It could be worse.

He could be from Cork
tony mush is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #29608
leighton
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,131
vCash: 650
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Banjo View Post
they sponsored Rogie if i remember rightly...
Thats news to me I stand corrected. For the likes of Paddy Power it would be ideal IF Dolphil and Hyde were to go to them and say be the sponsor for this World title fight we have American tv sorted we just need you to give us some leeway to get us on Irish tv. Just look at a majority of the shows on tv a lot of them have sponsors for the show. IF you go to a company with a sponsor the better chance you have of getting the airtime.
leighton is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #29609
Max Banjo
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,100
vCash: 3325
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighton View Post
Thats news to me I stand corrected. For the likes of Paddy Power it would be ideal IF Dolphil and Hyde were to go to them and say be the sponsor for this World title fight we have American tv sorted we just need you to give us some leeway to get us on Irish tv. Just look at a majority of the shows on tv a lot of them have sponsors for the show. IF you go to a company with a sponsor the better chance you have of getting the airtime.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

he had it on the back of his shorts u can see paddy power on john breen
Max Banjo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #29610
misticmonk
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 605
vCash: 400
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ó Cuinneagáin View Post
"Dear Mr. O' Dea,

I am contacting you in relation to the WBA World Title fight on the 19th of March in City West, Dublin between Guillermo Rigondeaux and Willie Casey, who is as you know a Limerick and Southill native.

This fight is not to be shown on RTE, even though it's being offered for free by the fight promoters Dolphil Promoters.

I know you are a proud Limerick city man and Limerick sporting fan. I remember you cheering Limerick on against Kilkenny in the 2007. As a fellow Limerick city man, you know well the negative light in which the media portrays our native city.

Here is a man coming from one of Limerick's most deprived areas fighting for a World Title after only 11 fights. The man is a hero for the people of Limerick city and is on the cusp of greatness. The people of Limerick City and Ireland need to see Willie Casey fight for a world title on terrestrial television. It would be a total shame if Limerick and Irish people are unable to see and cheer this great sportsman on.

Although I no longer live in Limerick, I always gave you my Number 1 vote. My father also is a long tine Fianna Fáil supporter and has canvassed for you in numerous elections.

Thanking you in advance,

Feargal ó Cuinneagáin."

Sent to the Legend that is Willie O' Dea.
Willie O' Dea always looks after his own. E-mails to Willie might help....

Top marks Feargal
Now change the name and party and send to Michael Noonan too
misticmonk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013