Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #331
ml
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Irish Boxing

For those interested in Irish American fighters here a long, but one the best boxing articles I ever read. Its about the Pittsburgh Kid Billy Conn.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
ml is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #332
fra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml
For those interested in Irish American fighters here a long, but one the best boxing articles I ever read. Its about the Pittsburgh Kid Billy Conn.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
thanks pal.... im sure i will enjoy reading this
fra is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #333
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Thanks for the feedback guys (or lads as you say over there). I noticed that after 9/11 Micky Ward starting emphasizing his american patriotism with our flag on his trunks. His mouthpiece still had the Irish flag on it though. Gerry ****ey was 1/4 spanish descent (mom was 1/2 spanish) and Jerry Quarry was predominantly irish wth some american indian and dutch blood in there too. Jack Dempsey was Irish-Scotch and Cherokee indian (with traces of jewish blood). ****ey and Quarry called themselves Irish and emphasized this. Dempsey never did. He was acknowledged as just american. Although the Irish pub in Atlantic City has many photos of the great man on its walls. Gene Tunney did not speak much about his ethnicity. On the other hand, Billiy Conn did. During the instructions of his fight with an Italian-american (I believe either Bettina or Apostoli) he made some ethnic slurs during the refs instructions. Conn was ****y and arrogant in there he always psyched out his opponents. When his trainer said - "Billy that was all live on radio you know." Conn was like - "Why didn't you tell me that for Christsakes!!!" He still went out and beat the Italian. Gotta love Billy Conn! Other guys like Paddy Flood, Joey Archer and Denny Moyer were dawn good boxers too.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #334
ml
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Jack Dempsey was not Irish Catholic (aka Irish American) and was from the west therefore he did not have that ethnic base. Gene Tunney was a very intellectual individual that enjoyed the company of high society, which caused him to be percieved to be waspy by many Irish Americans.
ml is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #335
Hawks28
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu
I'm interested in what you guys think of notable Irish-american boxers of the past. Names like John L. Sullivan, James J. Corbett, Jack Dempsey, Gene Tunney, Micky Walker, Harry Greb (1/2 Irish, 1/2 German), Tommy Loughran, Philadelphia Jack O'Brien, Terrible Terry McGovern, Jimmy McLarnin, Billy Conn, all these legends who were Irishmen. Does it count for you that they were Irish-americans?
Jimmy Mclarnin was Irish-Canadian.
Hawks28 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #336
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks28
Yes, he lived in Vancouver then eventually moved to Seattle I believe. Thanks for the info bro. He also became a very rich man after retiring. His manager was one of the few actually honest ones and loved him like a son. He invested well and became a very wealthy man. Lived into his 90's too.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #337
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

Quote:
born in Belfast wasnt he!?
slapbangwhallop is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #338
Hawks28
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapbangwhallop
born in Belfast wasnt he!?
born in Hillsborough, County Down, Ireland. Moved to Vancouver, Canada at age 3.
Hawks28 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #339
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

Quote:
born in Hillsborough, County Down, Ireland. Moved to Vancouver, Canada at age 3.
close enough for me!
slapbangwhallop is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #340
Hawks28
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu
Yes, he lived in Vancouver then eventually moved to Seattle I believe. Thanks for the info bro. He also became a very rich man after retiring. His manager was one of the few actually honest ones and loved him like a son. He invested well and became a very wealthy man. Lived into his 90's too.
I think he went with manager Pop Foster to San Francisco, because it was easier to get fights there. And yes, he did become very rich after his retirement, he made some great investments. He must've been a smart guy, able to retire at 29, and be very secure financially for the rest of his days. Your right about his manager loving him too, as he left Jimmy $286,000 when he passed away.
Hawks28 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #341
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardy
That,s right big ears, blame everyone expect McCullough. It was a non-title fight, boxers coming in over the agreed weight happens all the time. It was only 1 3/4lb not a stone. McCullough was offered compensation.Wayne acted like a prima donna and effectively scuppered the promotion.The blame lies with both fighters, but it was McCullough who refused to fight, not Martinez.I'm a big McCullough fan, but he really disappointed the Belfast fight fans that day by his actions.
As far as I'm aware the fight was made at 124 lbs , McCullough came in at 120 lbs(which is why a journalist called McCullough unproffesional which provoked an argument between the man and McCullough) .

Martinez was 1 3/4 lbs over at 125 3/4 . Now unless I have the weights wrong , 5 3/4 lbs is huge weight to give away for a Super-Bantamweight . Okay a lot of that weight is Wayne's fault for coming in very light but still .

Martinez is to blame , and solely to blame . After he weighed in he didn't even try to shift the weight he started drinking water........that either means (a)he didn't want to make the weight and was looking for an advantage or (b)the Super-Bantamweight(122 lb) champion of Europe weighed 125 3/4 and was bone dry so simply couldn't get off anymore .

If it's (b) then the likely hood is Martinez is physically unable to make the weight and will fail to do so against Munroe aswell , but I think we know that's not the case .

One man boils himself down , the other doesn't . That'd be fine if it was a game of tiddlywinks we are playing but you don't take chances when mens lives are at stake .

There's no point in McCullough going in there for the money and getting knocked out like Chico did against Castillo . I'd rather not see Wayen fighting at all put if he is going to fight for his own sake it should be on a level playing field .

If Martinez made the weight the fight would of gone ahead , it's as simple as that .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 02:47 AM   #342
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

vCash: 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears
As far as I'm aware the fight was made at 124 lbs , McCullough came in at 120 lbs(which is why a journalist called McCullough unproffesional which provoked an argument between the man and McCullough) .

Martinez was 1 3/4 lbs over at 125 3/4 . Now unless I have the weights wrong , 5 3/4 lbs is huge weight to give away for a Super-Bantamweight . Okay a lot of that weight is Wayne's fault for coming in very light but still .

Martinez is to blame , and solely to blame . After he weighed in he didn't even try to shift the weight he started drinking water........that either means (a)he didn't want to make the weight and was looking for an advantage or (b)the Super-Bantamweight(122 lb) champion of Europe weighed 125 3/4 and was bone dry so simply couldn't get off anymore .

If it's (b) then the likely hood is Martinez is physically unable to make the weight and will fail to do so against Munroe aswell , but I think we know that's not the case .

One man boils himself down , the other doesn't . That'd be fine if it was a game of tiddlywinks we are playing but you don't take chances when mens lives are at stake .

There's no point in McCullough going in there for the money and getting knocked out like Chico did against Castillo . I'd rather not see Wayen fighting at all put if he is going to fight for his own sake it should be on a level playing field .

If Martinez made the weight the fight would of gone ahead , it's as simple as that .

We should agree to differ, but your point hasn,t landed on deaf ears. Wayne was a great fighter, I remember him stopping 17 opponents in a row, when he was about 16. We thought we had the next Barry McGuigan on our hands, and he didn't disappoint.I do agree that he should retire, and concentrate on training other fighters.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #343
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardy
We should agree to differ

but your point hasn,t landed on deaf ears. Wayne was a great fighter, I remember him stopping 17 opponents in a row, when he was about 16. We thought we had the next Barry McGuigan on our hands, and he didn't disappoint.I do agree that he should retire, and concentrate on training other fighters.
Agreed

I think he could have accomplished so much more in his career though , he's most well known for winning a World title at Bantamweight and then losing World title shot after World title shot once he moved up .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #344
puca
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 697

Great threads and place for irish boxing which is cool.Andy Lee will not be boxing on the wlad undercard that is for certain im told.
But will be in the ring in the states in march.I hear espn are doing a night of contenders around the 22nd.James Moore is pencilled in already.
Keep an eye out for James what he is doing he is doing nicely learning his trade getting his wins and all under the radar.He will explode this year.Also MC Closkey and Lyndsey two talented guys on the fast way to the top.
puca is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #345
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

vCash: 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by puca
Great threads and place for irish boxing which is cool.Andy Lee will not be boxing on the wlad undercard that is for certain im told.
But will be in the ring in the states in march.I hear espn are doing a night of contenders around the 22nd.James Moore is pencilled in already.
Keep an eye out for James what he is doing he is doing nicely learning his trade getting his wins and all under the radar.He will explode this year.Also MC Closkey and Lyndsey two talented guys on the fast way to the top.
Hello Puca, there's a undefeated heavyweight from Lisburn[near Belfast] who is scheduled to be on that James Moore headlined promotion. Do you know if there is any other Irish fighters on that event.
ardy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum