Old 02-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #646
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

vCash: 1153
Default Re: Irish Boxing

THROWBACK BOXER, MODERN MESSAGE
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This is a great article about John Duddy's appeal to the Irish-American community.It's a very interesting read.

Last edited by ardy; 02-16-2008 at 08:08 AM.
ardy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #647
fra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu
Who do you guys think is going to win the Pavlik-Taylor fight this saturday night? I don't think it is a foregone conclusion to assume Pavlik will absolutely win. Taylor had him on very unsteady legs in round two of their first fight. Of course, Pavlik roared back like the champion he is to kayo Taylor and win the title in the seventh. I want Pavlik to win mainly because he's a bigger draw and more exciting. I have a feeling there will be a rubber match if Taylor wins this time. If Pavlik wins again boxing fans are going to treated to a possible fight of the year candidate. A june bloodbath between Pavlik and Ireland's John Duddy. Pavlik-Duddy has the potential to evoke great fights of yesteryear like Pender-Basilio, Basilio-DeMarco, and Zale-Graziano - just to name a few. Just salivate at the prospect of a revered, modest, well-mannered Mid-western kid (Pavlik) who can punch like heck taking on a handsome, charismatic Irishman with a charming speaking brogue and a take no prisoners fighting style. Now THAT is a fight I would be willing to buy on pay per view! So let's all say now for saturady night: Lets go Pavlik! So the fight with Duddy can happen in june for Madison Square Garden.
i want pavlik to win...so him and duddy can get it on...also i think pavlik will KO taylor again....
fra is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #648
andylee
Andy Lee and Cotto fan

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fra
i want pavlik to win...so him and duddy can get it on...also i think pavlik will KO taylor again....
i agree about wanting pavlik to win...if not, there will be 3rd. match between the two fairly soon, delaying others a chance to beat pavlik.
andylee is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #649
andylee
Andy Lee and Cotto fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardy
THROWBACK BOXER, MODEN MESSAGE

This is a great article about John Duddy's appeal to the Irish-American community.It's a very interesting read.
i do not know alot about duddy, but with all the PR andy lee is getting lately, lee may well take the mantle as the irish-american icon within a year or so...
most certainly duddy CURRENTLY has the record to own the accolades.
BTW...now that lee is getting known...i feel it would be better to change my profile name; please advise on how to do it....?!
andylee is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #650
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylee
i do not know alot about duddy, but with all the PR andy lee is getting lately, lee may well take the mantle as the irish-american icon within a year or so...
most certainly duddy CURRENTLY has the record to own the accolades.
BTW...now that lee is getting known...i feel it would be better to change my profile name; please advise on how to do it....?!
Hello, keep your name Andy, it's as good a handle as any.Duddy has a certain appeal that the Irish-Americans have tapped into. They like his quiet spoken humbleness. Funny thing is, most Irish boxers carry themselves in that dignified fashion.Being a braggart is not the Irish way.

Last edited by ardy; 02-16-2008 at 08:05 AM.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #651
ml
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I was reading in the new Micky Ward bio that after he beat Neary he was supposed to fight Eamonn Magee. I guess they had sparred in the past and the fight was going to be over there, but it fell through. Would the high work rate and left hook to the body of Ward or defensive counter punching of Magee prevail? By the way is an irish counter puncher an oxymoron? We can both agree they are two hard as nails guys.
ml is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #652
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml
I was reading in the new Micky Ward bio that after he beat Neary he was supposed to fight Eamonn Magee. I guess they had sparred in the past and the fight was going to be over there, but it fell through. Would the high work rate and left hook to the body of Ward or defensive counter punching of Magee prevail? By the way is an irish counter puncher an oxymoron? We can both agree they are two hard as nails guys.
I'd have fancied Magee to be honest , but Ward would of been capable of getting the win .

Although not renowned for classy boxers we occasionally do produce them , such as Bernard Dunne.........if only he had Magee's(or going to extreme's Wayne's) chin .

Andy Lee is a natural counter-puncher too , that'll become more evident when he steps up in opposition .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #653
ml
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I was intrigued by Magee for his crazy life story and was only able to watch a couple of his fights. I have read various irish trainers say he had the potential to be the greatest irish fighter of all time. He seemed to be a lazy fighter with a load of potential. How was his power as a counter puncher? He also had a great chin right? Reguardless of the outcome Ward would be standing after 12 rounds.
ml is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #654
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml
Now Ml, that would have been a great fight. I know Eamonn, I boxed at the same club as him, Sacrad Heart in Belfast. He was a special talent, and should have been fighting at the highest level in the professional ranks. But his lifestyle outside the ring let him down. He's a mean moody guy that you wouldn,t want to cross. A Magee that would have fulfilled his full potential would have beaten Ward, Hatton and a lot more with ease. But the Magee we know might have struggled with Ward's workrate, but I think, he still might have found a way to win. Magee/Ward would have been a 50/50 fight.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #655
ml
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It sounds as though Ward is the complete opposite of Magee in a lot of ways. He is complete gentleman outside the ring who never cut corners in training and gave it everything he had. Like Magee he had some issues outside the ring that nearly ended his career, but was always a standup guy, the Warriors Code!

ml is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #656
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml
I was intrigued by Magee for his crazy life story and was only able to watch a couple of his fights. I have read various irish trainers say he had the potential to be the greatest irish fighter of all time. He seemed to be a lazy fighter with a load of potential. How was his power as a counter puncher? He also had a great chin right? Reguardless of the outcome Ward would be standing after 12 rounds.
I agree with those trainers. He fought like a professional when he was only 13/14. In his later years, he would smoke and drink up to a week before a major fight.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #657
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml
It sounds as though Ward is the complete opposite of Magee in a lot of ways. He is complete gentleman outside the ring who never cut corners in training and gave it everything he had. Like Magee he had some issues outside the ring that nearly ended his career, but was always a standup guy, the Warriors Code!

Good song Ml. Magee also had reputation as a street brawler. He KOed my mate in a fight outside a bar in Ardoyne[that's the area of Belfast we grew up in].Although that,s going back a long time.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #658
ml
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Ardy, have to say i take Ward over magee in a bar fight all day, LOL. Boston vs Belfast throwdown.
ml is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #659
rendog67
The firestarter
ESB Senior Member

cmon the hoops
rendog67 is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #660
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml
Ardy, have to say i take Ward over magee in a bar fight all day, LOL. Boston vs Belfast throwdown.
I wouldn,t bet on it
ardy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum