Old 02-20-2008, 03:56 AM   #736
mickrick1
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
I spent some time in Galway, you're right, it is a beautiful place.

I met a guy there called Chick Gillan I think his name is, he ran a barber shop on the Claddagh and did boxing coaching as well. Great guy.
Hello Shamrock - Chick is still cutting hair and I believe still coaching boxing - I heard a request on the radio last week for him - I think it was his 80th birthday. Chick coached Francie Barrett (a traveller) who fought at the 1996 olympics and carried the Irish flag into the arena.
mickrick1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #737
fra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml
From the Lowell Sun:

The new career of the Mill City's resident boxing legend recently led him on a journey to his ancestors' homeland. "Irish" Micky Ward spent four days in Ireland last month for negotiations to train super bantamweight Bernard Dunne. The former European champion, who hasn't fought since losing his title last August, is looking toward a return to the ring sometime this spring. Dunne, who sports a professional record of 24-1 and is ranked ninth by the WBO, had been trained by the legendary Freddie Roach when fighting in the United States, but was under the tutelage of Harry Hawkins across the Atlantic. After the loss in August, Dunne's handlers wanted the Lowell legend to take over the reins.

Before leaving for Ireland, Ward expressed reservations about being so far away from his family for such an extended period of time, though he would have likely taken the job if the price was right. Ultimately, Dunne decided to stick with Hawkins and Ward is perfectly happy with the memories of a land he'd never before seen.
"The scenery was beautiful," said Micky of the Galway coast. "I didn't get a chance to do much sight-seeing, but the house I would have stayed at was right near the water. I'd go back in a heartbeat. I'm definitely taking a trip there again."
Of course, had he gotten the training gig, the language may have been a difficult hurdle to overcome. According to Ward, "They spoke the old language, the real Gaelic. Even their English was hard to understand with the accents.
"They might as well have been speaking Greek," he said with a laugh.
Suffice it to say, the missed opportunity was a learning experience. Others will likely follow, so you'd better bone up on your languages there, Mick. And if a Greek boxer ever does require your services, I can think of one sports scribe who'd love to spend a couple of months on a Mediterranean Island acting as interpreter!

Funny because Micky has a really thick Boston accent.
thanks for that ml ....very interesting.....do you think ward could have brought something different to dunnes training.....and ml.. do you think ward can make it as a top flight trainer
fra is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #738
ml
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I really can't determine Ward's potential as a trainer. I would imagine he demands his fighters maximize their potential like he did as a fighter. Besides conditioning, I really couldn't tell you how he is as a technical coach. Its interesting that when his crazy brother trained him he did a lot of the roadwork and sparring with him.
ml is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #739
fra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml
I really can't determine Ward's potential as a trainer. I would imagine he demands his fighters maximize their potential like he did as a fighter. Besides conditioning, I really couldn't tell you how he is as a technical coach. Its interesting that when his crazy brother trained him he did a lot of the roadwork and sparring with him.
ml...that might have hindered ward in his own boxing career...the lack of top quality sparring...
fra is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #740
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

vCash: 1153

CELTIC INVASION [ BOSTON MARCH 15TH]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
ardy is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #741
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardy
Dunnes next fight is yet to be announced, but it's expected to be in County Mayo on April. It will be broadcast by RTE. Matt Macklin fights Ramon yori boy Campas on the 22nd of March in Dublin.This fight will also be broadcast by RTE.
That's great news, thank you sir!! I was really starting to enjoy watching Dunne and seeing how much the fans supported him. Macklin was very impressive when I saw him on RTE the last times. I have not seen one fight on RTE that was not top quallity and entertaining, it is great they put your Irish fights out to the world with such good production value.
pipe wrenched is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 PM   #742
Shamrock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrick1
Hello Shamrock - Chick is still cutting hair and I believe still coaching boxing - I heard a request on the radio last week for him - I think it was his 80th birthday. Chick coached Francie Barrett (a traveller) who fought at the 1996 olympics and carried the Irish flag into the arena.
Hi Mickrick, Chick cut my hair for nix and gave me a medallion to remember his shop by, it reads National Junior Championships 1977, Champion: Pat Mullen. Do you know Pat Mullen, or have heard of him?
Shamrock is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #743
Shamrock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
When are you coming back to Ireland. As you can come to Belfast for a pint in the Shamrock Bar. I'm buying.
I would just love to get Guinness with you Ardy, anywhere at all.
Shamrock is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #744
fra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I would just love to get Guinness with you Ardy, anywhere at all.
can i come to...me likes beer ...lots and lots of beer
fra is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #745
Shamrock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fra
can i come to...me likes beer ...lots and lots of beer
Why not fra, do you drink the black stuff? (awesome in Ireland)

great in New Zealand
Shamrock is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #746
mickrick1
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Hi Mickrick, Chick cut my hair for nix and gave me a medallion to remember his shop by, it reads National Junior Championships 1977, Champion: Pat Mullen. Do you know Pat Mullen, or have heard of him?
Shamrock - I am a blow in - I come from Derry originally so I wouldn't know too many of the local boxing fraternity. You're not going to believe this but I was watching the main national news this evening on RTE and they had an article from Chick's barber shop - he retired today at the age of 75 - what a coincidence.
mickrick1 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #747
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

IRELAND BOXING SENSATION JOHN DUDDY
ardy is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 05:21 PM   #748
Shamrock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrick1
Shamrock - I am a blow in - I come from Derry originally so I wouldn't know too many of the local boxing fraternity. You're not going to believe this but I was watching the main national news this evening on RTE and they had an article from Chick's barber shop - he retired today at the age of 75 - what a coincidence.
More than one! I am a blow in as well, somebody told me that when I was last there.

So Chick retired! He gave me an awesome haircut to return to NZ and be the best man at a girls wedding that I coached.

Chick also had a farm with small ponies he and his wife were breeding as I recall.
Shamrock is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #749
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

JOHN DUDDY:IS HE PRODUCT OR HYPE
ardy is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #750
Shamrock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
JOHN DUDDY:IS HE PRODUCT OR HYPE
Whats this guy a ****ing pom or something? Thats straight bias no less.
I saw the Eastman fight and Duddy won handily right through despite the ruling of the single eyed ref!
Shamrock is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum