Old 05-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #8296
Irishbc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
Maybe he should just retire then........

The fighter he was robbed against(Usman Ahmed) is fighting for the British and Commonwealth Flyweight titles this month btw, for anyone interested.
What is he your brother? I tell it like I see it, same as I did with Duddy years ago, always said this guy was good for a punchup and nothing more, and you people are shocked he got beat by lylle?

I see nothing in Luke Wilton, I think a few of his amateur fights are on youtube at the belfast boxing shows.
Irishbc is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #8297
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishbc View Post
What is he your brother? I tell it like I see it, same as I did with Duddy years ago, always said this guy was good for a punchup and nothing more, and you people are shocked he got beat by lylle?

I see nothing in Luke Wilton, I think a few of his amateur fights are on youtube at the belfast boxing shows.
did you have money on Lyall to better Duddy?
slapbangwhallop is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #8298
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

are the bhoys at irishboxinng.com on holiday?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #8299
liberties
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy141 View Post
some of the opponents for the castlebar show are on boxrec..very surprised at eddie hylands opponent he seems very poor for a fighter of hylands calibre.
think this fight for hyland is just to get him back in the ring before the hyland show in june he has,nt fought since december
liberties is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #8300
mossy141
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapbangwhallop View Post
are the bhoys at irishboxinng.com on holiday?
seems like it!!
mossy141 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #8301
fra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:

no mate ur spoiling 4 a row ...we on this thread tend 2 talk up r fighters not run them down and that includes my man duddy...so take urself away da ****
fra is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #8302
nutter
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Rogan vs. ***ton: Styles Make Fights, Should Be Good

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]By Coach Tim Walker - I make an effort to learn who the fighters are, who they've fought and who the fighters they've fought have fought. I use all of this to assess the level of skill they have and how far it seems they can go in the sport. Most of the time, it's easy to assess a fighter's skill level. Other times it's not so easy.

In the case of Martin Rogan and Sam ***ton I must admit that I had only recently heard of Rogan and had never heard of ***ton until he was announced as Rogan's opponent. That is not to say that they aren't good fighters. I just didn't know much about them. Thus analyzing a fight and fighters I know little about will prove itself to be a bit arduous. Nevertheless it is the task that is set before me..

To do this effectively I had to go into my "woodshed" so to speak. My "woodshed" is my analogy for a time of study and investigation. For this fight I've been in my "woodshed" for quite some time and I hope that my effort makes this fight a bit more transparent to you.

Inside Sam ***ton

I went inside his 11-1-0 record and discovered that it isn't real. His opponent's combined records at the time he fought them is 108-194-21 (33% winning ratio) andīthose same opponents today have a combined record of 110-229-21 (30% winning ratio). What's even more telling is that against the extremely low competition he has faced he mustered only 4 knockouts and was knocked out in his single loss to Derek Chisora who, by the way, isn't a world beater at this stage either. What does this mean? Well it's actually not too bad for a new heavyweight to get a few cream puffs at the onset of his career but ***ton isn't a new heavyweight. He has been a pro for nearly 5 years. Thus his record is not real in the sense that he isn't an elite heavyweight and shouldn't be under the misconception that he will be an elite heavyweight. Still, you don't have to be a world beater to be a fan favorite. Fact is, ***ton puts it on the line. The bell goes ding and he starts swinging! He offers very little defense or footwork which means he's there to be hit as much as he hits. Fans like him.

Inside Martin Rogan

I went inside Martin Rogan's 12-0-0 record and discovered that it is real. Like ***ton his opponents, current combined record of 148-211-14, loose more than they win but there is something different in how Rogan is being developed. When you look at the tail end of his resume you notice that the quality of his opponents has increased lately (60-6-0). In that you see wins over Audley Harrison, Matt Skelton (beat by KO) and a couple of newcomers in Davis Dolan (cruiserweight) and David Ferguson. Thus he has beaten a couple of guys who were at least mentioned in discussions about heavyweight title challengers. What's the problem? His age! Rogan is 38 years of age and while boxers definitely seem to be fighting longer these days the glass ceiling for Rogan is fortified against solid rock. In other words, there is no room for error on his part because he hasn't done enough to establish himself on a world level and he's not in a position where he can take two years to start over. He is a position where he must either, "Win or go home!" Rogan fights at close range and therefore can be hit as much as he hits.

Fight Analysis & Prediction (Dare I Say!)

Both fighters are products of the Prizefighter Heavyweight Tournament which seems to have brought both of them back to life. Their fight is 12 rounds for the Commonwealth (British Empire) Heavyweight Title. ***ton has been scheduled for one 10 round fight which he won by TKO. Rogan on the other hand went 10 rounds with Audley Harrison and knocked out Matt Skelton in round 11 of their scheduled 12 rounder.

Power: Edge to Rogan (more quality knockouts against better competition)

Speed: Even

Toughness: Edge to Rogan (spars regularly with bare knuckle fighters, wow!)

Experience: Edge to Rogan (has faced higher level of professional fighter)

Ring Generalship: Even

Prediction: Rogan will give ***ton his second loss by KO within 8 ro
nutter is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #8303
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

the belfast card is ****in awesome
Old 05-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #8304
nutter
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapbangwhallop View Post

the belfast card is ****in awesome
I know, I can nae wait man. Who all is going
nutter is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #8305
mossy141
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter View Post
im not.....never been to a pro show in my life...but hey il watch it on da box!
mossy141 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #8306
nutter
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy141 View Post
im not.....never been to a pro show in my life...but hey il watch it on da box!
This will be my third show of the year. I was in Craigavon for Kelly, and then in Dublin for Dunne. Now I will be in Belfast for Rogan. I might go to Castlebar or the Hyland show in Dublin after that. Undecided which one yet. You should go to the next show in your region, its always a good night out.
nutter is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #8307
fra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter View Post
i will b there nutter my boy...i will b there
fra is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #8308
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:

I've no connection to Wilton, it's just you're making him out to be a bum and I happen to believe that what I've seen from him, taking into account he's only 20(and likely to improve at that age) and the current standard of the British/Commonwealth Flyweight/Super-Flyweight divisions that he could get himself a title in those divisions in the future.

I never said he could win a World title, infact I don't think he'll ever win a European title but to completely write off a young fighters career already seems like you have a personal distaste against him.

As I said a man who he imo beat is fighting for the British and Commonwealth titles in his next fight, is it inconceivable he'll not do the same in the future and the very least and has a chance to maybe win those titles ?

He's got a bit of a porous defence at the moment but going forward he seemed to have decent tools for me, has a very good workrate, good stamina and is aggressive(so exciting).

Even if he achieves nothing in the game I feel he will be one to watch in terms of excitement. You don't hear people here lambasting Jamie Power for being shit, we all know Jamie is limited technically but has all the guts in the World and will deliver a good fight against anyone, and we're grateful for that.

But some people just prefer to hate on fighter, rather than give technical analysis of flaws they have or else praise fighters they do see promise in.......you know something constructive.
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #8309
puca
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 697

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
I've no connection to Wilton, it's just you're making him out to be a bum and I happen to believe that what I've seen from him, taking into account he's only 20(and likely to improve at that age) and the current standard of the British/Commonwealth Flyweight/Super-Flyweight divisions that he could get himself a title in those divisions in the future.

I never said he could win a World title, infact I don't think he'll ever win a European title but to completely write off a young fighters career already seems like you have a personal distaste against him.

As I said a man who he imo beat is fighting for the British and Commonwealth titles in his next fight, is it inconceivable he'll not do the same in the future and the very least and has a chance to maybe win those titles ?

He's got a bit of a porous defence at the moment but going forward he seemed to have decent tools for me, has a very good workrate, good stamina and is aggressive(so exciting).

Even if he achieves nothing in the game I feel he will be one to watch in terms of excitement. You don't hear people here lambasting Jamie Power for being shit, we all know Jamie is limited technically but has all the guts in the World and will deliver a good fight against anyone, and we're grateful for that.

But some people just prefer to hate on fighter, rather than give technical analysis of flaws they have or else praise fighters they do see promise in.......you know something constructive.
Gotta agree there Wilton is no world beater but hes no bum either he always looks in good condition and comes to fight.Noone here ever claimed he was going to be pfp champ or anything neither did the young lad himself.I like fighters like him i love fighters like Jamie Power who you mentioned they seem to be genuine exciting fighter who give their all and ALWAYS will give value for money so back off young Luke and respect him for what he is.... a professional boxer
puca is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2009, 04:15 AM   #8310
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

vCash: 1153

Quote:

Hello Irishbc, your drawing more and more posters into this dispute about young Wilton. I have also seen Luke fight as an amateur, and the point you make about his ability in that code is quite valid. Yes, he was never going to set the world alight as an amateur, but his style could be more suited to the pro game[maybe]. And the point that bigears is making is equally valid, in that Wilton is only 20, so he has years to develop.
Irishbc, I had a "rule of thumb" theory, and it was if a Ulster boxer is not good enough to win an Ulster senior amateur title, then he will struggle in the pro game, and dare I say that is where you are coming from. But my view in recent years has moved away from that as I have seen to many aggressive boxers robbed in the amateurs because of this infernal computer scoring system. So I have a policy now of wait and see, and I suggest you do the same. Although it's good to hear from another Belfast poster [not enough of us on here], so keep posting my friend.

CITY SHOWDOWN INSPIRING MAGEE

BOMBER BACK IN BELFAST WITH A BANG
ardy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum