Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-24-2008, 04:38 AM   #856
The Tuaman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Duddy is tough as hell, but that wont save him against Pavlik.

If a guy like Smichet can connect flush time and time again you can bet that Top 10 guys will do exactly same.

Duddy needs to improve his Defence, his Offence isnt too bad, when he fought on the outside he looked ok when he tried mixing it up on the inside Smichety was getting the better of him, and i think we all no Diddy wont want to fight Pavlik on the inside
The Tuaman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2008, 04:59 AM   #857
Smazz20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Didn't see the fight, but can't really say i'm surprised. Howard Eastman, a shot 37 year old, could tag Duddy at will. How the hell is Duddy suppoed to fight at the top level. He's a star in boxing due to his fighting style, but he's only a gatekeeper level fighter.
Smazz20 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 06:30 AM   #858
mickrick1
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

If Don Turner was brought in to help shore up Duddy's defense he has failed miserably - in this fight it was totally non existant. Maybe it is a case of John not wanting to listen. Another query would be what has happened to John's power - he did land a number of flush punches but at no stage did he really rock Smichet. Smichet ended the fight virtually unmarked.
mickrick1 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #859
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

I watched the fight last night and was shocked at how bad Duddy was - I knew Walid was tough (see youtube for the Demers fight) but I thought Duddy would have enough to win every round and maybe a round 9 or 10 stoppage but no KO. I watched rounds 1 -5 through my fingers and couldnt believe John wouldnt use his guard.

Anyway I watched the fight again today and it wasnt sooooooo bad - it was bad just not terribly bad. Duddy was stupid and fought the wrong fight.

I scored it thus

RD1: 10-9 Smichet - first minute Duddy schooled him but then the Smichet bombs landed

RD2: 10-9 Duddy - Duddy's superior boxing skills

RD3: 10-9 Duddy - All Duddy for the first two and a half minutes but then came the Walid bombs which landed - possibly even.

RD4: 10-9 Smichet - Good round - good trading of blows, Duddy workrate could have taken it/it could have been even but I gave it to Smichet for his more eye catching work

RD5: 10-10 Even - Smichet dominant - then Duddy - then Smichet - then Duddy - couldnt call that one!

RD6: 10-9 Duddy - Duddy outboxes Walid

RD7: 10-9 Duddy - even exchanges but then Duddy outboxes - Duddy starts boxing on the outside and it proves effective

RD8: 10-9 Duddy - Intermitant Walid shots lands but Duddy's jab wins the round

RD9: 10-9 Duddy - clear Duddy round (possibly the only one!) move movement, better range of shots

RD10: 10-10 Even - Duddy possibly won this one also but it was scrappy

97-94 Duddy

Anyone know the punchstats?
slapbangwhallop is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #860
mickrick1
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapbangwhallop
I know what you are saying Ardy but I disagee - I set out my thoughts in detail on the Pavlik v Duddy thread. I am not going to stoop to someone elses level because they are disrespecting Duddy - I would prefer to lay the facts infront of them and show them up as talking shit instead of trading insults.

Pavlik deserves the respect he gets - he's the champ, he's a good guy, he's got a good jab and a great overhand right = respect from me - that doesnt lessen my support for Duddy.

Infact if you think I dont support Duddy heres a wee story for ya - I just got engaged at Christmas and I only gave the wee wan a token ring with the idea of bringing her over to NYC and Tiffanys for the real thing - maybe I had it planned that I could double it up for it to coincidently coincide with the Duddy v Pavlik fight!!! Will I see ya there?
Slapbangwallop - on a lighter note does the 'wee wan' have to wear a lucky bag ring indefinitely now?
mickrick1 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #861
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

vCash: 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Duddy needs to fight at distance Ardy, he started that late, but not well schooled. Sorry!
I agree Shamrock, John needs to radically change his style. He needs to keep is hands up higher,and block or parry punches, instead of always trying to slip them, which he cant do effectively.The strange thing was,John looked good against Eastman[as always his defence was poor at times], and I honestly believe he could build on that performance.I think the occassion got the better of him last night,and he tried to hard to please.

BUT ALL IS NOT LOST, AS HE WON THE FIGHT. I BELIEVE IRELANDS JOHN DUDDY WILL RETURN, AND BE THE FIGHTER WE KNOW HE CAN BE.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #862
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrick1
Slapbangwallop - on a lighter note does the 'wee wan' have to wear a lucky bag ring indefinitely now?
lol, she wasnt happy when I gave her my thoughts on the fight this morning and told her NYC was off!!

Its a nice ring she has now but its swarovski crystal not diamonds

Last edited by lawton; 03-01-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #863
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley
Your boy is a "c" level fighter, but all you Irish guys kept trying to claim he would knock Pavlik out. Tonight Irish John Duddy was EXPOSED! If ya can't take the heat, get the **** out of the kitchen pal!

Boo
You are a clown, and there is no need to gloat.Duddy is a warrior, and remember he still won the fight.I may be disappointed in his performance, but he will always have my support.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #864
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardy
You are a clown, and there is no need to gloat.Duddy is a warrior, and remember he still won the fight.I may be disappointed in his performance, but he will always have my support.
boo is a dick and a shite talker.

C level fighter! ok, it was a bad performance and in my eyes the prospect of Duddy winning a world title has diminished but he is still top 10
Old 02-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #865
Buddy La
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 809

John should always fight at a distance. He is not very good on the inside and is mostly ineffective because he cannot get out of the way of punches, and good inside fighters seem to take advantage (as did Campas and Eastman). I find it funny that some will criticize John for his lack of defense, yet be blind to his great jab and double left hooks.
Buddy La is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #866
iceman
Tis my Island
ESB Addict

vCash: 12406665

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardy
I agree Shamrock, John needs to radically change his style. He needs to keep is hands up higher,and block or parry punches, instead of always trying to slip them, which he cant do effectively.The strange thing was,John looked good against Eastman[as always his defence was poor at times], and I honestly believe he could build on that performance.I think the occassion got the better of him last night,and he tried to hard to please.

BUT ALL IS NOT LOST, AS HE WON THE FIGHT. I BELIEVE IRELANDS JOHN DUDDY WILL RETURN, AND BE THE FIGHTER WE KNOW HE CAN BE.
Ardy - i was impressed with Duddy's performance against Eastman.His defense had improved considerably and he outworked and outboxed Eastman on his way to a comfortable victory.
Last night however he fought like the guy who went tooth and nail with Campas.At this stage of his career he can't be taking backwards steps.I though he would build on the Eastman win and put in an improved performance against Schmit and then get his big payday against Pavlik
iceman is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #867
Buddy La
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 809

If Duddy were to eventually get a title shot against Pavlik, maybe Pavlik will underestimate him and this fight will be a blessing in disguise. I am delusional, so excuse me for my wild predictions.
Buddy La is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #868
greengloves
Contender
ESB Senior Member

it may not have been the performance of his dreams,but come championship night i am sure the occasion will not take hold of duddy and he can show us what he is truly capable of!
duddy abu.
greengloves is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #869
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Here's a report on the Duddy/Smichet fight from the BBC. There's a quote from Arum that Duddy/Pavlik will take place towards the end of 2008.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #870
goldenboy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

boo is just another ****jockey know it all on this forum!!!!!

Duddy is still learning. He has not been hyped up in my opinion, I do know he has a large fan base at home and abroad, thats not really hype. Hes charismatic, tough and with alot of potential. Like alot of young fighters. There will always be haters!!! Have not seen the fight. I gather it was not as easy a night as some may have expected.
He learned more in the fight than if he had ko'd the guy in the first!!
Good luck to all our Irish boys in the future!!
goldenboy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum