Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #871
fra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Irish Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy La
He doesn't use his hands for defense, he's trying to slip punches as if he were a slick boxer...but he doesn't have that talent. He does have skill, he just has flaws to go along with it...but Duddy won't let someone beat him. Whether he comes around or not, I'll still be a Duddy fan.
thats the way... i see it too...buddy...but i hope and pray he learns from this fight.
fra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #872
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy
boo is just another ****jockey know it all on this forum!!!!!

Duddy is still learning. He has not been hyped up in my opinion, I do know he has a large fan base at home and abroad, thats not really hype. Hes charismatic, tough and with alot of potential. Like alot of young fighters. There will always be haters!!! Have not seen the fight. I gather it was not as easy a night as some may have expected.
He learned more in the fight than if he had ko'd the guy in the first!!
Good luck to all our Irish boys in the future!!
he's 28! how long does it take to learn basic defense?
slapbangwhallop is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #873
fra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardy
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Here's a report on the Duddy/Smichet fight from the BBC. There's a quote from Arum that Duddy/Pavlik will take place towards the end of 2008.
i dont know if that is a wise move..unless he improves his defence...or maybe he should go for the big payday...and then get out.
fra is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #874
Shamrock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapbangwhallop
he's 28! how long does it take to learn basic defense?
exactly! but I still think Duddy is good on the inside, he just needn't have been there so often in Smichets fight plan. he needs some of Lee's distance coaching. I have a feeling he will be an improved performer from herein - we will see a new, wiser Duddy next up!

But, oh! What a terrible long eye cut! His cutman was amazing to stem the blood.
Shamrock is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #875
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

vCash: 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by fra
i dont know if that is a wise move..unless he improves his defence...or maybe he should go for the big payday...and then get out.
Well Fra, the cuts have to heal, so in the meantime Irish ropes should ditch Don Turner, his advice between rounds was piss poor.A new trainer like Buddy McGirt could maybe make a difference with Duddy and his defensive flaws. Also he will need a fight before Pavlik.John should come back to Ireland and fight in the Kings Hall again, against one of the top European fighters.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #876
Shamrock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Well Fra, the cuts have to heal, so in the meantime Irish ropes should ditch Don Turner, his advice between rounds was piss poor.A new trainer like Buddy McGirt could maybe make a difference with Duddy and his defensive flaws. Also he will need a fight before Pavlik.John should come back to Ireland and fight in the Kings Hall again, against one of the top European fighters.
Yep Ardy, keep the cutman and ditch the coach. but he does need another IRISH coach!
Shamrock is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #877
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Yep Ardy, keep the cutman and ditch the coach. but he does need another IRISH coach!
McGurt's an Irish name - datildoferme!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #878
Shamrock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapbangwhallop
McGurt's an Irish name - datildoferme!

hahahaha its McGirt I tawt
Shamrock is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #879
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

Quote:
hahahaha its McGirt I tawt
Yeah,as Jim Watt said on SKY, Turner was giving poor advice.Instead of bellowing at John to calm down,he was telling Duddy to mix it up inside,where there would be a greater danger to the cuts.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #880
Shamrock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah,as Jim Watt said on SKY, Turner was giving poor advice.Instead of bellowing at John to calm down,he was telling Duddy to mix it up inside,where there would be a greater danger to the cuts.
Turner wants ass kicked Ardy, the cutman needs a medal!
Shamrock is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #881
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

Quote:
Turner wants ass kicked Ardy, the cutman needs a medal!
Agreed mate, fanastic work by the cutsman, I hope Duddy knows a good plastic surgeon
ardy is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #882
bizness
Journeyman

How come alot of good irish prospects go over 2 america and start thier carrers and do well,where do the contacts come from?
There is alot of expat scots over in ny/east coast so surely there is gap in market 4 some scots fighters 2 go over and have few fights and make name 4 themselfs across the pond,
any info much appreciated!!!
bizness is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 03:24 PM   #883
Shamrock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Agreed mate, fanastic work by the cutsman, I hope Duddy knows a good plastic surgeon
****, what a cut....

That Turner needs shut in the dunny for 10 days. We could have cornered John better than he did Ardy? Be kinda nice wearing all that green stuff too I thought

I took that young girl boxer and her mum to see these fights Ardy, she was impressed with Duddy's looks and the fact he wore the Shamrock, same as her. I told her that one day she could step in the ring with a green gown inscripted 'Mo Chroi'. I'm taking her and 2 others to fight in Hobart next month.
Shamrock is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #884
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizness
How come alot of good irish prospects go over 2 america and start thier carrers and do well,where do the contacts come from?
There is alot of expat scots over in ny/east coast so surely there is gap in market 4 some scots fighters 2 go over and have few fights and make name 4 themselfs across the pond,
any info much appreciated!!!
Barry, just put an Irish accent on and go ahead yerself!!! you've got an Irish name so that wouldnt know the difference.

Actually I think its demographic but also cultural in America - Irish boxers made up a lot of the first champions and there is a strong tradition of supporting Irish boxers - not sure it works the same in the Scottish community. Also many/most of Duddy's supporter would be second/third/fourth generation. Similar in a way to the East End of Glasgow - its gets compliated
Old 02-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #885
ml
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Alright fellas just got back from the fights and have to say it was the worst card i ever witnessed. Before i got to the fights I enjoyed the company of some Derry natives and they were all top notch guys. As for the Duddy fight the atmosphere was piss poor with a what seemed like a very dissappointing showing of Duddy fans. Like i said in prior post Duddy has shown a serious lack of power. A guy like Gatti was always a fan favorite because he took tremendous punishment but always had the ability to pull a ko out of the fire, which Duddy seems to lack. I guess I dont have to make it clear how big a Duddy fan I am but this fight confirmed what i have told Ardy which is pavlik and Duddy should not be mentioned in the same breath. I really need to see video of the fight to get a better perspective, but i can tell you no one in the entire building thought Duddy won. Even the Irish were disgusted by the idea that DUDDY WON TE DECISION BEFORE THE FIGHT EVEN STARTED. The crowd for Duddy seemed smaller (maybe because he was not headlining) and I hope he can cashout in the near future.
I dont have time or energy to express the disgust that we had for that so called heavy weight title fight.
ml is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum