Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 210
Default How shot do you think Roy Jones is now after recent fights?

How shot do you think Roy Jones is now after recent fights?

In Jones last fight he was stopped in the final round against D Lebedev. On one of the judges cards Jones was ahead and could have been given the benefit of a KD in the last round before the stoppage. In Lebedevs previous fight he fought world champ M Huck to a SD which many felt he won.
Now Lebedev has just fought J Toney and beat him in every single round, and nobody felt Toney was shot before the fight and if they really did, I never heard anyone say Toney was more shot than Jones. I read quite alot of people felt Toney was going to win and Toney was more proven at CW than Jones.

So now how shot do you think Jones was. Jones chin has never been the best as evidenced by how badly shook up he seemed when Lou Del Valle caught him flush and put him down.

If we look at Jones last 2 fights against Lebecev and Hopkins -
Against Lebedev Jones was ahead on one card in the final round and unlucky not to have a KD scored against a CW who had just fought a world champ to a SD and
Against Hopkins, Jones scored a KD that Hopkins made out was behind his head as he wasnt able to continue without some time out and Hopkins is now recognised as the LHW champ. That could have been a KO win for Jones.

No doubt some fanboys will feel threatend by this question and bring up Calzaghe, but just try and be real men and answer the question.

How shot do you really think Jones is now?
bailey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
pistal47
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: How shot do you think Roy Jones is now after recent fights?

He was clearly in his prime when he fought Calzaghe and Danny Green. Nowadays he is shot to shit though.
pistal47 is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
SweetHome_Bama
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 10918

He was shot since Tarver 1.
SweetHome_Bama is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Now Lebedev has just fought J Toney and beat him in every single round, and nobody felt Toney was shot before the fight and if they really did, I never heard anyone say Toney was more shot than Jones.
Toney has been shot to shit for the last 4 or 5 years, WTF are you talking about?

Jones in his last few fights was just as shot as he was in his match vs Calzaghe, or close enough to it. Yes bailey, we know what your real reason is for making this thread.
Axe is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHome_Bama View Post
He was shot since Tarver 1.
Why was he shot then? Jones had just scored arguably his biggest win at HW. I think the weight loss caused him problems for a few fights after at LHW, but I cant see how he can be called shot after he had just scored his biggest win
bailey is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
SweetHome_Bama
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 10918

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Why was he shot then? Jones had just scored arguably his biggest win at HW. I think the weight loss caused him problems for a few fights after at LHW, but I cant see how he can be called shot after he had just scored his biggest win
Going back down you could see the loss of reflexes and foot speed. His reduced ability to take punches also showed up.

You could tell he was no longer the Roy of old and every fight after that bared that contention out.
SweetHome_Bama is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
Toney has been shot to shit for the last 4 or 5 years, WTF are you talking about?

Jones in his last few fights was just as shot as he was in his match vs Calzaghe, or close enough to it. Yes bailey, we know what your real reason is for making this thread.
I know your reasons for being so on edge with my questions , but try not to worry about Calzaghe, hes not part of the thread.
Toney is now so shot yet so many felt he was going to put up a good fight against Lebedev and possibly win.
Now did you think Toney was more shot than Jones?
Be a real man and try and answer
bailey is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
madmanc3210
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I seriously dont think that jones is shot,its just that fighters like calzaghe and lebedev have raised the bar.lebedev is vastly under rated
madmanc3210 is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
Stinky gloves
Champion
East Side Guru

I think he is constantly improving !
Stinky gloves is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHome_Bama View Post
Going back down you could see the loss of reflexes and foot speed. His reduced ability to take punches also showed up.

You could tell he was no longer the Roy of old and every fight after that bared that contention out.
Does it though?
I admit he didnt look great in his first fight back from HW but he still beat Tarver who became the man of the division.
He then suffered a shocking 2nd round KO after winning the first round. Jones was considered favourite going in.
He looked bad against Johnson, but after that looked alot better against Tarver losing a decision against the champ, then beat 3 fighters. One an undefeated SMW contender, and another being Trinidad who was considered Hopkins biggest win by some.
After losing to the champ again (Calzaghe), Jones then clearly beat Lacy and Sheika. Sheika went on to give Diaconu a tough fight and nobody felt Diaconu was shot. Now Jones has pushed a CW contender
bailey is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
Post Box
I'm back too, bitches
East Side Guru

He's still green.
Post Box is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
Jordan_Davies
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 12201

Hes not as shot as people made him out to be when he fought Calzaghe but he should have ended his career after the Lacy fight and gone out on a win. If he had lasted the last round with lebedev which he even gave him trouble in that fight it would have been good but hes gone now, completely shot and i have no desire to see him in the ring again for his health.

Call it quits Roy
Jordan_Davies is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
Derrick_Rose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Jones was clearly in his Prime when Calzaghe outboxed him, Jeff Lacy was the hottest American prospect since the young Cassius Clay until Calzaghe ended his career, Kessler the greatest european fighter ever lived, Manfredo Jr the baddest man on earth!

Bailey, you can now go to sleep. I wrote everything you wanted to read.
Derrick_Rose is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_Davies View Post
Hes not as shot as people made him out to be when he fought Calzaghe but he should have ended his career after the Lacy fight and gone out on a win. If he had lasted the last round with lebedev which he even gave him trouble in that fight it would have been good but hes gone now, completely shot and i have no desire to see him in the ring again for his health.

Call it quits Roy
I dont want to see any fighter get hurt and think Jones should call it a day. But shot? He was ahead on one card going into the last round against a fighter who looked unlucky to many against a CW world champ in his previous fight
bailey is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #15
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_Rose View Post
Jones was clearly in his Prime when Calzaghe outboxed him, Jeff Lacy was the hottest American prospect since the young Cassius Clay until Calzaghe ended his career, Kessler the greatest european fighter ever lived, Manfredo Jr the baddest man on earth!

Bailey, you can now go to sleep. I wrote everything you wanted to read.
You havent written anything I want to read and have got many details wrong.
Lacy not even brought up but... Lacy was being hailed as the new Tyson not Cassius Clay .
Kessler wasnt even mentioned either dummy.

Forget prime nobody said that. The question was how shot do you think he is after recent fights when you consider the full picture
bailey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum