Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #46
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 84
Default Re: How shot do you think Roy Jones is now after recent fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
I agree with the second part,but Joe didn't do a great deal for the vast majority of his reign either.
Not true either
if you work out how many fighters were top 10 rated and how many became top 10 rated after Calzaghe beat them he fought 22 SMW title fights and 15 were or became top 10 rated. I havent included Ferreyra who had been top 10 rated before fighting Calzaghe 15 out of 22 at SMW, Thats very good but even better when you note Calzaghes LHW career, because as a career total it becomes 17 out of 24. he fought 13 fighters who were rated when he fought them. Reid, Sheika, Woodhall, Veit2, Brewer, Mitchell, Ashira, Manfredo, Lacy, Kessler, Jones, Hopkins, Bika. Eubank got rated for his loss so could be included to make 14
Remember Pudwill, Sobot and MCintyre were subs for Tate, Salmaci, Echoles respectively
bailey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #47
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
The Tarver KO shot him. He's so gunshy and weak now. His legs are gone and he has a soft spot on his head. He's a shot fighter.
Why do you think Tarver couldnt do it again?
bailey is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #48
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post

He was ahead on one card going into the last round against a fighter who looked unlucky to many against a CW world champ in his previous fight.
Remember also how Jones beat Sheika who went on to give Diaconu a tough fight and nobody felt Diaconu was shot after having 2 tough fights with Pascal who became the top LHW
If you watched that fight, he was clearly losing, albeit competitive against a C level Cruiserweight with limited mobility and handspeed.

Diaconu is a C level fighter who still beat a bum

Your if A>B and B>C then A>C argument is terribly flawed.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #49
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 835

i wrote a more elaborate post but it got ****ed up so im gonna summarize

if you wanna defend the opinion that maybe Jones wasnt as shot as we think you could say the following

Tarver was just a bad match up and possibly better than a lot of Jones other foes

you could say he was still shook up confidence wise when he was to get dominated and KO'd by Johnson or perhaps he didnt train hard who knows

he beat Adjamu and Hanshaw but got hit way more than he should have kinda like late career Ali

but then he fought Trinidad and beat him way better than anybody predicted

he was confident going in vs Calzaghe who was still unproven because of the controversy in the Hopkins fight and Jones even said make 168 so i can take both Ring titles

he looked on the way to victory when he dropped Joe but eventually could not handle Joes whirlwind style and did show heart and guts fighting hard despite a bad cut

Then he beat Lacy way worse than anybody could have anticipated

vs Green he got hit on the temple and lost equilibrium like any normal human but the real issue was he got hit because he lowered his left to bait Green in so he could counter with a right but his diminished reflexes and speed meant that this trick that worked in his prime did not

vs Hopkins and Lebdeev 2 fights i havent seen he went deep into the fight and was more difficult than predicted

you said he was ahead vs Lebdeev now was that bad judging or was he really in the fight??

my assessment is obviously he did not look great in Tarver 1 now was that due to Tarver, weight loss, getting old over night or a combo of those 3

he looked good vs Tarver til the KO

vs johnson he was gun shy and while watching i was like well jones will show up eventually and take over but didnt and was down for minutes after the KO and i though that was it

now it was easy to write him off

but he won a few and then you could say well Calzaghe was just a bad style and Green got lucky

but i think physically he has obviously slowed though he shows moments of old in certain fights like Lacy and Trinidad

its tough to say but he has obviously declined

its like late Ali nowhere near his physical prime but his shell is still better than lots of fighters

if jones would adapt to old age and not leave a low left to get cracked by lesser guys like Green he may still be winning fights
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #50
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Poor Failey....he falls in love with ONE boxer right as he retires...tries DESPERTELY to make up for it with ridiculous love threads and fanboy analysis courtesy of boxrec or youtube. Proven to be HORRIBLY inconsistent. LIke, mental patient shit.

Failey is one of the fakest ****s on this site. But as long as headgiver and the other losers have his back (they pretty much havre to kiss each others ass, otherwise NO ONE would agree with them), he'll keep doing his thing.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #51
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Quote:
Why do you think Tarver couldnt do it again?
That was one of the luckiest shots I've ever seen...Tarver isn't some great fighter. He caught Roy in a way no one had ever caught him and shattered him. The beating he took in the first Tarver fight did a lot to lower his punch resistance.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #52
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

It doesn't matter if Roy is still a top 10-20 light heavyweight or cruiserweight. He's an absolute shell of what he once was. That's the very definition of being a shot fighter.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #53
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Not true either
if you work out how many fighters were top 10 rated and how many became top 10 rated after Calzaghe beat them he fought 22 SMW title fights and 15 were or became top 10 rated. I havent included Ferreyra who had been top 10 rated before fighting Calzaghe 15 out of 22 at SMW, Thats very good but even better when you note Calzaghes LHW career, because as a career total it becomes 17 out of 24. he fought 13 fighters who were rated when he fought them. Reid, Sheika, Woodhall, Veit2, Brewer, Mitchell, Ashira, Manfredo, Lacy, Kessler, Jones, Hopkins, Bika. Eubank got rated for his loss so could be included to make 14
I would take you to task on that but I know there's no point.Only the most hardcore Joe fans think the whole of his reign was a worthy one and I have no dislike for Calzaghe so I'm not getting into a debate over him in an unrelated thread.Especially one that I'll never win,right or wrong.It's all yours
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #54
mrtony80
Likes thick chicks
ESB Addict

vCash: 314

I can't believe Roy has 8 ****ing loses. I remember when, like FMJ, his 0 was his pride and joy. 8 loses. 3 in a row. Wow. Now he is fighting some guy who is 14-5. On PPV.
mrtony80 is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #55
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO KIDD View Post
i wrote a more elaborate post but it got ****ed up so im gonna summarize

if you wanna defend the opinion that maybe Jones wasnt as shot as we think you could say the following

Tarver was just a bad match up and possibly better than a lot of Jones other foes

you could say he was still shook up confidence wise when he was to get dominated and KO'd by Johnson or perhaps he didnt train hard who knows

he beat Adjamu and Hanshaw but got hit way more than he should have kinda like late career Ali

but then he fought Trinidad and beat him way better than anybody predicted

he was confident going in vs Calzaghe who was still unproven because of the controversy in the Hopkins fight and Jones even said make 168 so i can take both Ring titles

he looked on the way to victory when he dropped Joe but eventually could not handle Joes whirlwind style and did show heart and guts fighting hard despite a bad cut

Then he beat Lacy way worse than anybody could have anticipated

vs Green he got hit on the temple and lost equilibrium like any normal human but the real issue was he got hit because he lowered his left to bait Green in so he could counter with a right but his diminished reflexes and speed meant that this trick that worked in his prime did not

vs Hopkins and Lebdeev 2 fights i havent seen he went deep into the fight and was more difficult than predicted

you said he was ahead vs Lebdeev now was that bad judging or was he really in the fight??

my assessment is obviously he did not look great in Tarver 1 now was that due to Tarver, weight loss, getting old over night or a combo of those 3

he looked good vs Tarver til the KO

vs johnson he was gun shy and while watching i was like well jones will show up eventually and take over but didnt and was down for minutes after the KO and i though that was it

now it was easy to write him off

but he won a few and then you could say well Calzaghe was just a bad style and Green got lucky

but i think physically he has obviously slowed though he shows moments of old in certain fights like Lacy and Trinidad

its tough to say but he has obviously declined

its like late Ali nowhere near his physical prime but his shell is still better than lots of fighters

if jones would adapt to old age and not leave a low left to get cracked by lesser guys like Green he may still be winning fights
Good honest post.
One judge had Jones ahead against Lebedev.
Against Green there was a glove wrapping query
bailey is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #56
AnotherFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Valid points and factually correct but you have to analyse it with a bit more scrutiny.Roy was considered for a time the most talented fighter since Ray Leonard,lofty praise but for a change with some justification.I don't think the Trinidad Roy fought was anything like the live contender of old.I always felt Roy's problem was he probably reached his physical peak at LHW,a division which with all due respect,didn't contain the names that you would hope would be on the resume of a true crossover ATG.I think he went stale there,and there really isn't much of a case for arguing that it was downhill all the way after Ruiz.Statistically you are spot on,but you have to scratch the surface and look a bit deeper here.
Interesting read.

Just out of curiosity and assuming you can be bothered to read and reply.

I have never studied Jones career with any depth. The way many posters talk about him like he was a demigod and go on a rampage every time his loss to Calzaghe is mentioned makes me wonder a bit.

Was Roy Jones really all that, and what was it that convinced people?

It is hard to grasp that the pitfull, heartless beeing that covered up against Calzaghes useless slaps once was considered to great.
AnotherFan is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #57
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_Uppercut View Post
Poor Failey....he falls in love with ONE boxer right as he retires...tries DESPERTELY to make up for it with ridiculous love threads and fanboy analysis courtesy of boxrec or youtube. Proven to be HORRIBLY inconsistent. LIke, mental patient shit.

Failey is one of the fakest ****s on this site. But as long as headgiver and the other losers have his back (they pretty much havre to kiss each others ass, otherwise NO ONE would agree with them), he'll keep doing his thing.
Notice the ***** logged off again after posting .
Uttercunt also claims to have me on his ignore list after he got ***** whipped
bailey is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #58
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
I would take you to task on that but I know there's no point.Only the most hardcore Joe fans think the whole of his reign was a worthy one and I have no dislike for Calzaghe so I'm not getting into a debate over him in an unrelated thread.Especially one that I'll never win,right or wrong.It's all yours

Good idea. FAILEY is a total waste of time. His idea of debate is to go to boxrec, make a case, bring up HOW many wins in a row some scrub got before fighting Joe C, and then disagree with anyone elses verdict. Wash, rinse, repeat ad nauseum...
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #59
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
No need to get into it as this thread is about Jones.
I dont think his whole reigh is worthy, but do know that many casual fans didnt know the division or the fighters and only know about now due to the S6 or because America has got another world champ in Ward to get them believing again
bailey is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #60
bonzo7580
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

completely shot has been since 2004 .
bonzo7580 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum