Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default I Think If SRR Trains And Boxes Like He Did For LaMota 6 He Beats Any MW Ever

His workrate was absolutley incredible, his combination punching beautiful. He was in perpetual motion, took some big, big shots from a middle hitting but genuine MW, and outlasted one of the best Stamina/Chin/Guts combo's ever to step into the ring.

He sparred over a hundred rounds for that fight and looks near invincible to me.

If he genuinely was better than that at WW, he must be the greatest.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: I Think If SRR Trains And Boxes Like He Did For LaMota 6 He Beats Any MW Ever

He beats every middle ever...yet he was behind on the cards after 8 rounds. Hardly 'unbeatable' material.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: I Think If SRR Trains And Boxes Like He Did For LaMota 6 He Beats Any MW Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
His workrate was absolutley incredible, his combination punching beautiful. He was in perpetual motion, took some big, big shots from a middle hitting but genuine MW, and outlasted one of the best Stamina/Chin/Guts combo's ever to step into the ring.

He sparred over a hundred rounds for that fight and looks near invincible to me.

I think that Randy Turpin would have conceivably beaten him even on that night.

He found a strategy which was a good foil for Robinson.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
He beats every middle ever...yet he was behind on the cards after 8 rounds. Hardly 'unbeatable' material.
I'd be interested to hear which middle you think would have come out of those 8 rounds ahead v LaMotta in that fight. It's near insane aggression and workrate.

Robinson outboxes and outlasts his man beautifully, staying out of serious trouble whilst working Jake.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
I think that Randy Turpin would have conceivably beaten him even on that night.

He found a strategy which was a good foil for Robinson.
Yes indeed.

But it should also be said that in their second fight - which Robinson was properly prepared for, in contrast to the first - Robinson briefly demonstrates a top gear we don't even see in the LaMotta fights.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear which middle you think would have come out of those 8 rounds ahead v LaMotta in that fight. It's near insane aggression and workrate.

Robinson outboxes and outlasts his man beautifully, staying out of serious trouble whilst working Jake.

It's hard to say really. Although if you're going to go down the 'trained better than ever' route then it's only fair to acknowledge the 'weight weakened' opponent, which La Motta certainly was.*

* By the way, i don't. If they're weight-weakened, that's their tough shit.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
* By the way, i don't. If they're weight-weakened, that's their tough shit.
Completely. Boxing is a composite sport and that includes your mental approach, training etc. LaMotta also trained very hard for this fight, he apparently sparred more rounds than Robinson.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
He did seem to be a bad matchup, but he didn't find the strategy in their second fight I will say, Robinson was also the master of rematches, so he wins a series with anyone IMO.
I like how Robinson can't find the right strategy but still wins. The shit hits the fan and he just goes into overdrive.

Imagine knowing you had that type of thing under your belt for an emergency. I'm trying to think of other fighters who had this secret gear. Jack Johnson maybe?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yes indeed.

But it should also be said that in their second fight - which Robinson was properly prepared for, in contrast to the first - Robinson briefly demonstrates a top gear we don't even see in the LaMotta fights.
Sure.

I think that in the second fight Turpin had the same problem that Max Schmeling had in the second Joe Louis fight.

He had beaten the unbeatable fighter first time round by finding a subtle flaw in their style and exploiting it. In the second fight the unbeatable fighter would not make the same mistake and would not get surprizesd.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #10
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think a prime Bernard Hopkins gives him serious problems.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #11
George W Hedge
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

I agree 100%

Even a young Ali used to rewatch Ray`s movements in the 6th lamotta fight, he would have dropped lamotta if the ref never stepped in... THATS how good srr was that night.
George W Hedge is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #12
hdog
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

He was a great matador. Anybody shorter than him that comes in gets butchered. Would probably still have trouble with Monzon though.
hdog is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:

Other great middleweights would have showed him something different than Lamotta that night. Hagler and Hopkins had much more in their arsenal. Lamotta did have the the ability to keep coming though, and he was a hard opponent to keep off. Robinson was a complete fighting machine at his very best.

I have three documentaries on Robinson. Bright Lights and Dark Shadows, Pound for pound, and Sugar Ray's greatest fights.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #14
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Sure.

I think that in the second fight Turpin had the same problem that Max Schmeling had in the second Joe Louis fight.

He had beaten the unbeatable fighter first time round by finding a subtle flaw in their style and exploiting it. In the second fight the unbeatable fighter would not make the same mistake and would not get surprizesd.
I could agree with your opinion if Robinson dominated Turpin in their rematch, but he did not. He was yet again behind on the cards, and was on the verge of getting stopped due to the terrible cut. If Turpin had survived the round, arguably the fight would have been stopped, as Robinson and Gainford were told "last round". I'm pretty sure Robinson pleaded for "one more round".

Louis dominated Schmeling during their rematch, Robinson never done the same with Turpin. He had problems yet again. The most important thing of all though, he won the fight.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #15
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Other great middleweights would have showed him something different than Lamotta that night. Hagler and Hopkins had much more in their arsenal.
I agree with that. Hopkins for sure, and Hagler to a lesser extent.
Marnoff is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum