Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who will have a better career?
Russell 23 57.50%
Broner 16 40.00%
I could give a rat's ass? 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #31
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Bigger success: Russell or Broner?

I'm not a HUGE fan of either one, and I don't think either will be a star, but when push comes to shove I'll go with Broner. Russell is a bit more talented, but I think Broner has much better instincts. The fact that Broner has been as successful as he has been despite having a style that judges typically hate speaks volumes. Also, Russell had some motivation issues in the past, and I can't help but think they'll come back up again in the future.

If you were to ask me the African-American prospect who I think will be the best long term, well hell, I'm not sure who I'd go with. There are a lot of other prospects I really like, and while there's a couple of black fighters in that mix, one is Ukranian and the other is African. I like Vernon Paris's skills better than either of these guys, but the dude's head is a serious liability and that can't be ignored. A year and a half ago, I would have said Danny Jacobs, but the fact that he still hasn't fought anyone decent since the Pirog loss is also a huge warning sign to me. I still like Dominic Wade, but I feel like he's going in neutral. Demetrius Andrade has talent, but doesn't seem to be progressing and seems to have a weak will in some ways. Jermell Charlo has huge holes in his defensive game. Brad Solomon seems to be lacking in heart, a la Chad Dawson. Broner might not even be the best Cincinnati prospect in his weight class - Yaundale Evans has looked pretty good too.

At the end of the day, I think Andrade is the most likely to be successful long-term, but they're all young enough that they can happily prove me wrong.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 02:38 AM   #32
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhaus View Post
I'm not a HUGE fan of either one, and I don't think either will be a star, but when push comes to shove I'll go with Broner. Russell is a bit more talented, but I think Broner has much better instincts. The fact that Broner has been as successful as he has been despite having a style that judges typically hate speaks volumes. Also, Russell had some motivation issues in the past, and I can't help but think they'll come back up again in the future.

If you were to ask me the African-American prospect who I think will be the best long term, well hell, I'm not sure who I'd go with. There are a lot of other prospects I really like, and while there's a couple of black fighters in that mix, one is Ukranian and the other is African. I like Vernon Paris's skills better than either of these guys, but the dude's head is a serious liability and that can't be ignored. A year and a half ago, I would have said Danny Jacobs, but the fact that he still hasn't fought anyone decent since the Pirog loss is also a huge warning sign to me. I still like Dominic Wade, but I feel like he's going in neutral. Demetrius Andrade has talent, but doesn't seem to be progressing and seems to have a weak will in some ways. Jermell Charlo has huge holes in his defensive game. Brad Solomon seems to be lacking in heart, a la Chad Dawson. Broner might not even be the best Cincinnati prospect in his weight class - Yaundale Evans has looked pretty good too.

At the end of the day, I think Andrade is the most likely to be successful long-term, but they're all young enough that they can happily prove me wrong.
I think Broner is pretty clearly the best black, American prospect in the sport now.

**** Andrade! And Jacobs sucks.
Xplosive is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 02:50 AM   #33
crimson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I like both but Russells frame size will make it harder for him both competitively and mass appeal wise.
crimson is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 04:34 AM   #34
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Both are very talented, both are technically much better than prospects like Berto and Alexander who Broner was compared to. Broner is trying too hard to be Mayweather and he needs to cut out the showboating. He has different strengths and weaknesses to Mayweather too and his power is obviously no joke, he seems like he wants to copy Floyd's moves more than work to a gameplan and being his own fighter. Russell is more relaxed, picks his shots better and generally more professional

Broner has the much bigger frame, which will probably see him go up in weight. Russell needs to be a career FW, SFW tops, he doesn't have the frame to move up. I think both will have allot of success, the only question is if they have the X Factor to beat a Gamboa or Brandon Rios in a 50-50 fight, neither are ready to be thrown in that deep just yet though

Exciting prospects, if only Golden Boy and Arum would work together they could make fights with Juanma, Gamboa, Brandon Rios, Donaire down the line, but sadly they rarely do work together
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #35
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 9633

This is what i don't understand about boxing fans. They go ga ga after a prospect KOs a bum. That's what Rodriguez was, a handed bum.

People went ga ga over Daniel Jacobs. He seemed to have it all. The hand speed, the power, and talent. But turns out he's too basic and nothing but a 1-2 guy. Raw talent alone doesn't guarantee you nothing. It's about skills and how hard you are willing to work.

I'm not sold on either guys yet. Both obviously have all the raw talent you could ask for but we have to see more of each to determine for sure.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #36
Beenie
Evolve already!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
WTF would he do that for? JMM, Rios... both would beat his ass. If he moves down he's got Gamboa to deal with...

He needs to stay in this division and see if he can own it. Hang around 130 and mature as a fighter until JMM retires then move up.
JMM has likely departed 135 for good. And by the time Broner is positioned to fight Rios, Rios likely will have moved up as well; not to mention that a fight between Rios and Broner would be remote considering the promotional obstacles involved in such a fight.

Even with the current top two guys as non options, there are still better opportunities for Broner to expand his name with at lightweight than at SFW. GB can still offer him fights against Katsidis, Linares, and Demarco; all more network friendly options for Broner than the 130 possibilities, imo.
Beenie is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #37
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 3583

I like both fighter's, But to me Russell seems like the type that will suffer @ the elite level.
WHY?

Mainly dude to the fact that he is steamrolling his comp & will believe in his own hype (Power) as he continues blasting out these outmatched opponents.
The kid is already world class because of his AM experience.
+ Russell seems to be too straight up when he fights seems a bit stiff.
(Bad news @ the elite level)

Just hope they don't wait to long.
Broner on the other is simply put a ST8 "G" nothing more I can say...
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #38
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Pacula View Post
You have to understand the unique business of boxing. Like it or not that fake personality will sell. Ironically Russell's humble nature could be what holds him back from being a real star unless he starts knocking people out. So far he's on the right track. My vote easily goes to Broner. He appears well-rounded as a fighter and his haters club is multiplying by hundreds as we speak. That's a recipe for success.
I couldn't agree more. All that humble stuff won't win fans unless you're knocking people out. Broner has the type of style and personality that will give him lots of fans and haters like pbf. Broner needs to keep doing what he's doing and Russell needs to work on his personality.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #39
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Broner thinks he's a rock star and he's never really been tested yet. He just won a world title and hasn't even fought anyone in The Ring Top 10.

1. Takashi Uchiyama
Record: 17-0 (14 KOs)
Titles: WBA

2. Juan Carlos Salgado
Record: 24-1-1 (16 KOs)
Titles: IBF

3. Roman Martinez
Record: 25-1-1 (16 KOs)

4. Jorge Solis
Record: 40-3-2 (29 KOs)

5. Takahiro Ao
Record: 22-2-1 (10 KOs)
Titles: WBC

6. Adrien Broner
Record: 21-0 (17 KOs)
Titles: WBO

7. Diego Magdaleno
Record: 21-0-0 (7 KOs)

8. Argenis Mendez
Record: 19-2 (10 KOs)

9. Eloy Perez
Record: 23-0-2 (7 KOs)

10. Juan Carlos Burgos
Record: 28-1-0 (19 KOs)

WTF would he do that for? JMM, Rios... both would beat his ass. If he moves down he's got Gamboa to deal with...

He needs to stay in this division and see if he can own it. Hang around 130 and mature as a fighter until JMM retires then move up.
agreed about this plus he was too one shot at a time and let that bum get in his chest and put leather on him
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #40
PR BOXING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Pacula View Post
You have to understand the unique business of boxing. Like it or not that fake personality will sell. Ironically Russell's humble nature could be what holds him back from being a real star unless he starts knocking people out. So far he's on the right track. My vote easily goes to Broner. He appears well-rounded as a fighter and his haters club is multiplying by hundreds as we speak. That's a recipe for success.
I couldn't said it any better myself. people have to understand this
PR BOXING is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #41
hussleman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Both!!!
hussleman is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #42
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Its I couldN'T give a rats ass.
irishny is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum