MANILA, Philippines — Top Rank big boss Bob Arum disclosed on Sunday he is holding talks with at least two investment groups keen on staging the megabuck match between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather – boxing’s premier attractions. Arum said Pacquiao’s adviser.
Mike Koncz is also involved in the negotiations, confirming a statement made by the Filipino fighter late last week that something is going on in efforts to stage the mouth-watering clash between the two leading claimants to the mythical title of pound-for-pound king.
What tickles Arum’s fancy is the fact that the same group “is also in talks with Mayweather.”
“Mayweather is going solo,” said Arum, noting that the Oscar De La Hoya-owned Golden Boy Promotions (GBP) is not involved in the on-going discussions.
Arum said Mayweather doesn’t want GBP to be involved in the talks that’s why GBP Chief Executive Officer Richard Schaefer is unaware of the meetings that have been taking place.
Arum, who turns 80 early next month, said he is “seriously exploring a Mayweather fight” and that “everybody is going over the moon” in the event the fight is made.
But in the event nothing concrete and positive comes out of the talks with interested parties, he will pursue the next best thing – a fourth fight involving Pacquiao and Mexican counter-puncher Juan Manuel Marquez.
Meanwhile, Arum said he is excited to know the final numbers of the Pacquiao-Marquez III pay-per-view (PPV) buys.
“This is going to be Manny’s biggest (PPV) ever,” said Arum.
Pacquiao posted his largest PPV showing last May against Shane Mosley with 1.3 million buys.
This time, the minimum Arum is looking at is 1.4 million buys, and it could even hit 1.5 million.
Pacquiao earned $22 million in the Marquez fight and he stands to earn more as he also has a share in the PPV sales.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]