Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Since Pacquiao-Mayweather Seems Doubtful For May 5, 2012, Who Will Floyd Fight Then?
Saul Alvarez 10 27.03%
Robert Guerrero 6 16.22%
Devon Alexander 0 0%
Sergio Martinez 6 16.22%
Amri Khan 5 13.51%
Someone Else Not Named Yet 6 16.22%
I'm Not Sure 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Since Pacquiao-Mayweather Seems Doubtful For May 5, 2012, Who Will Floyd Fight Then?

Despite the public posturing from both sides, it appears doubtful at this time that there will be a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight on May 5, 2012.

If that is the case, and we assume that Mayweather will still fight on May 5, 2012, then who do you think his opponent is likely to be, if Pacquiao is out of the equation?

Poll above (Amir Khan's name is misspelled in the poll) and leave your thoughts below.

Personally, I don't know who Mayweather will fight if, as I expect, Pacquiao-Mayweather does not come off on May 5, 2012.

The difficulty for Mayweather is that, according to rumors, his fight against Victor Ortiz was a PPV disappointment. That means that there may be some pressure on Mayweather to do a good PPV buy rate on May 5, 2012 in order to try to keep up his image of being a good draw.

But, without Pacquiao involved, that could be a tall order for the American. Even with some good potential opponents available.

One would think Arum knows all of this, and that could be another possible reason for the Bobfather to keep Pacquiao out of the mix for May 5, 2012.

Because, if Mayweather has another disappointing PPV buy rate on that date, then Arum and Pacquiao would have a stronger argument, going forward, for a greater percentage of the purse split on a future Pacquiao-Mayweather bout.

Something to think about as all of this public relations maneuvering and strategizing continues.

Last edited by paulfv; 11-28-2011 at 11:17 AM.
paulfv is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381
Default Re: Since Pacquiao-Mayweather Seems Doubtful For May 5, 2012, Who Will Floyd Fight Th

It's difficult to tell. It won't be Martinez, I'm sure of that. Despite Mayweather saying he wanted to fight him in the past, there's no way he has any serious intentions of fighting Sergio next.

I'd have guessed Khan but it seems Khan wants to fight a few times at welter before he takes on Floyd (wise decision if you ask me).
ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Since Pacquiao-Mayweather Seems Doubtful For May 5, 2012, Who Will Floyd Fight Th

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImElvis666 View Post

It's difficult to tell. It won't be Martinez, I'm sure of that. Despite Mayweather saying he wanted to fight him in the past, there's no way he has any serious intentions of fighting Sergio next.

I'd have guessed Khan but it seems Khan wants to fight a few times at welter before he takes on Floyd (wise decision if you ask me).
Yeah, I don't think that fight will get made yet, either, but I had to include Khan as an option because that fight seems likely in the future.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

canelo, maidana, guerrero or khan. one thing is sure, 99.99% it would be a GBP fighter.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post

canelo, maidana, guerrero or khan. one thing is sure, 99.99% it would be a GBP fighter.
I was going to mention that in my first post, but forgot.

I hadn't thought about Maidana. I guess I could have included Ortiz II, also.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1479

Martinez at 154 is who he should fight, it'll probably be Alvarez or Ortiz again though.
Bajingo is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfv View Post
Despite the public posturing from both sides, it appears doubtful at this time that there will be a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight on May 5, 2012.

If that is the case, and we assume that Mayweather will still fight on May 5, 2012, then who do you think his opponent is likely to be, if Pacquiao is out of the equation?

Poll above (Amir Khan's name is misspelled in the poll) and leave your thoughts below.

Personally, I don't know who Mayweather will fight if, as I expect, Pacquiao-Mayweather does not come off on May 5, 2012.

The difficulty for Mayweather is that, according to rumors, his fight against Victor Ortiz was a PPV disappointment. That means that there may be some pressure on Mayweather to do a good PPV buy rate on May 5, 2012 in order to try to keep up his image of being a good draw.

But, without Pacquiao involved, that could be a tall order for the American. Even with some good potential opponents available.

One would think Arum knows all of this, and that could be another possible reason for the Bobfather to keep Pacquiao out of the mix for May 5, 2012.

Because, if Mayweather has another disappointing PPV buy rate on that date, then Arum and Pacquiao would have a stronger argument, going forward, for a greater percentage of the purse split on a future Pacquiao-Mayweather bout.

Something to think about as all of this public relations maneuvering and strategizing continues.

What rumours the fight did 1.2 million.
Bladegunner is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajingo View Post

Martinez at 154 is who he should fight, it'll probably be Alvarez or Ortiz again though.
Didn't Floyd say something in the past about wanting to fight the Martinez-Williams winner?

Sergio did not look so hot against Barker. And Sergio will be 37 years old soon.

Maybe he could be next?
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladegunner View Post

What rumours the fight did 1.2 million.
I heard 850K the day of the fight, with around 350K bought later because of the controversy.

So, without the controversy -- which you cant count on for each fight -- then you're supposedly talking 900K or less.

If Arum wants to string Mayweather out to get a better purse split for a future Pac-PBF showdown, I don't think another 900K PPV buy rate would help Mayweather much in negotiations.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
canelo 154 champion.

Khan 140 king.

One thing for sure it gonna be a champion.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:

Other than the past, what is your main reason for saying the fight with Pacquiao is doubtful?

Just asking!
TG1 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

Quote:
I was going to mention that in my first post, but forgot.

I hadn't thought about Maidana. I guess I could have included Ortiz II, also.
i don't know the exact reason why floyd has to fight GBP fighter exclusively fro the last 5 years. maybe it has something to do with the reported 3 or 4 fight contract under GBP when he returned from retirement or something about GBP advancing some loans for his previous tax problem.

well, roger just mentioned maidana as a floyd opponent. he would probably be the easiest in the lot according to styles.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I heard 850K the day of the fight, with around 350K bought later because of the controversy.

So, without the controversy -- which you cant count on for each fight -- then you're supposedly talking 900K or less.

If Arum wants to string Mayweather out to get a better purse split for a future Pac-PBF showdown, I don't think another 900K PPV buy rate would help Mayweather much in negotiations.
You heard wrong.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #14
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1479

Quote:
Didn't Floyd say something in the past about wanting to fight the Martinez-Williams winner?

Sergio did not look so hot against Barker. And Sergio will be 37 years old soon.

Maybe he could be next?
Maybe but it's high risk and low reward financially for him. If the Pacquiao fight doesn't happen then Floyd might fancy it as a way to outdo Pac if Pac fights Marquez again but I'd be surprised.
Bajingo is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #15
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
i don't know the exact reason why floyd has to fight GBP fighter exclusively fro the last 5 years. maybe it has something to do with the reported 3 or 4 fight contract under GBP when he returned from retirement or something about GBP advancing some loans for his previous tax problem.

well, roger just mentioned maidana as a floyd opponent. he would probably be the easiest in the lot according to styles.
roger also mentioned pac.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum