boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Since Pacquiao-Mayweather Seems Doubtful For May 5, 2012, Who Will Floyd Fight Then?
Saul Alvarez 10 27.03%
Robert Guerrero 6 16.22%
Devon Alexander 0 0%
Sergio Martinez 6 16.22%
Amri Khan 5 13.51%
Someone Else Not Named Yet 6 16.22%
I'm Not Sure 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Since Pacquiao-Mayweather Seems Doubtful For May 5, 2012, Who Will Floyd Fight Th

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post

Other than the past, what is your main reason for saying the fight with Pacquiao is doubtful?

Just asking!
Because both sides have never come to an agreement before, in three supposed previous negotiations?

Because Pac has looked bad in his last two fights, and Arum and Team Pac may not want to put him against Mayweather when he's coming off bad showings and is having recurring cramp issues?

Because Arum and Mayweather seem to despise each other?

I've always said I thought this fight wouldn't happen, and I just haven't seen anything to make me change my stance, even with the current PR blitz from both sides. I could be wrong though!
paulfv is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #17
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Since Pacquiao-Mayweather Seems Doubtful For May 5, 2012, Who Will Floyd Fight Th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladegunner View Post
canelo 154 champion.

Khan 140 king.

One thing for sure it gonna be a champion.
yup a GBP champ.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #18
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post

i don't know the exact reason why floyd has to fight GBP fighter exclusively fro the last 5 years. maybe it has something to do with the reported 3 or 4 fight contract under GBP when he returned from retirement or something about GBP advancing some loans for his previous tax problem.

well, roger just mentioned maidana as a floyd opponent. he would probably be the easiest in the lot according to styles.
Interesting. I had not heard that.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #19
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

You heard wrong.
It's out there, I'm sure you know that.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
yup a GBP champ.
If pac step up he could be a top rank champ, but pac just got his ass beat by marquez, arum is trying to milk his golden cow one last time before he has no choice but to get his ass kicked by mayweather.

The only good thing to come out of all this, is that fans finally see what's going on.
Bladegunner is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #21
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajingo View Post

Maybe but it's hight risk and low reward financially for him. If the Pacquiao fight doesn't happen then Floyd might fancy it as a way to outdo Pac if Pac fights Marquez again but I'd be surprised.
Totally agree: Sergio is a large risk, and though he is high up on the PFP charts, he still doesn't seem to be much of a draw.

Hard to see PBF wanting to take that fight.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #22
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfv View Post
It's out there, I'm sure you know that.
Just like it's out there that pac v mosley bombed, hence why that figure arum dished out was never verified

Also where are the marquez v pac numbers?

I guess that should have also gained more ppv buys, because everyone would want to see pac get his ass beat.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #23
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

If pac step up he could be a top rank champ, but pac just got his ass beat by marquez, arum is trying to milk his golden cow one last time before he has no choice but to get his ass kicked by mayweather.

The only good thing to come out of all this, is that fans finally see what's going on.
You mean like the two or three previous negotiations?

Only difference this time is that I think Team Mayweather believes they can get the PR "win," which wasn't the case, it seems, in previous attempts.

But don't think the fans didn't see what happened before. I doubt that.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #24
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Just like it's out there that pac v mosley bombed, hence why that figure arum dished out was never verified

Also where are the marquez v pac numbers?

I guess that should have also gained more ppv buys, because everyone would want to see pac get his ass beat.
Arum just said he's waiting on them. So am I, and many others.

Look, for all I know -- and I'm not making an accusation here, just speculating -- Team Mayweather bought the day-after PPV buys on Mayweather-Ortiz to make the numbers look more respectable. I have no idea. Maybe that's not Arum's game?

It's like celebrities or politicians who mass-buy their books to make the sales look better.

Or like boxers who bulk buy seats in arenas to drive up their own gate.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #25
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Only difference this time is that I think Team Mayweather believes they can get the PR "win," which wasn't the case, it seems, in previous attempts.

No i mean like the bull**** bob arum has been dishing out for the last 2 years, fight fans have now seen the truth, bob arum never wanted this fight neither did pacquaio and marquez showed the world why.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #26
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Quote:
Arum just said he's waiting on them. So am I, and many others.

Look, for all I know -- and I'm not making an accusation here, just speculating -- Team Mayweather bought the day-after PPV buys on Mayweather-Ortiz to make the numbers look more respectable. I have no idea. Maybe that's not Arum's game?

It's like celebrities or politicians who mass-buy their books to make the sales look better.

Or like boxers who bulk buy seats in arenas to drive up their own gate.
I'm also not making accusation that pac v mosley bombed hardcore hence why arum ran back to HBO
Old 11-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #27
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

No i mean like the bull**** bob arum has been dishing out for the last 2 years, fight fans have now seen the truth, bob arum never wanted this fight neither did pacquaio and marquez showed the world why.
Ah, I see.

The World According To Bladegunner. Got it.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #28
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Despite the public posturing from both sides, it appears doubtful at this time that there will be a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight on May 5, 2012.

If that is the case, and we assume that Mayweather will still fight on May 5, 2012, then who do you think his opponent is likely to be, if Pacquiao is out of the equation?

Poll above (Amir Khan's name is misspelled in the poll) and leave your thoughts below.

Personally, I don't know who Mayweather will fight if, as I expect, Pacquiao-Mayweather does not come off on May 5, 2012.

The difficulty for Mayweather is that, according to rumors, his fight against Victor Ortiz was a PPV disappointment. That means that there may be some pressure on Mayweather to do a good PPV buy rate on May 5, 2012 in order to try to keep up his image of being a good draw.

But, without Pacquiao involved, that could be a tall order for the American. Even with some good potential opponents available.

One would think Arum knows all of this, and that could be another possible reason for the Bobfather to keep Pacquiao out of the mix for May 5, 2012.

Because, if Mayweather has another disappointing PPV buy rate on that date, then Arum and Pacquiao would have a stronger argument, going forward, for a greater percentage of the purse split on a future Pacquiao-Mayweather bout.

Something to think about as all of this public relations maneuvering and strategizing continues.

No chance. Mayweather's PPV numbers would have to be horrifically low for Arum to seriously think about demanding a larger share. The very least thing Arum should do, is meet with Floyd’s people and mull over this supposed May 5th date. He can’t be as rejecting as he’s currently being. It’s not making Pac look good in the eyes of the public.

As for your question of who Mayweather will fight, I honestly don't know. I agree with ImElvis666, in that he'll never fight a Sergio Martinez. And rightfully so. It's way too risky. Amir Khan is also out of the picture, because he's holding off the opportunity until he feels he's ready.

That then leaves an Amir Khan left-over in Maidana, an unknown lightweight in Guerrero, and a shot Morales. Not exacty spoilt for choice, is he? Which makes me think this is one of Arum's aims. Unlike Floyd, Pac can pursue at least one more sellable opponent (JMM 4 or Bradley), and leave Floyd with his hands in his pants and without a decent dance partner for that May 5th date.

A green Canelo Alvarez is the only other ok option available, I think.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #29
TheChamp83
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

The Person will be a Legit Champion!!! and a top 10 P4P Fighter.....

Look at his Track Record!!!!...He always Fight 1.2.or 3
TheChamp83 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #30
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
No chance. Mayweather's PPV numbers would have to be horrifically low for Arum to seriously think about demanding a larger share. The very least thing Arum should do, is meet with Floydís people and mull over this supposed May 5th date. He canít be as rejecting as heís currently being. Itís not making Pac look good in the eyes of the public.

As for your question of who Mayweather will fight, I honestly don't know. I agree with ImElvis666, in that he'll never fight a Sergio Martinez. And rightfully so. It's way too risky. Amir Khan is also out of the picture, because he's holding off the opportunity until he feels he's ready.

That then leaves an Amir Khan left-over in Maidana, a lightweight in Guerrero, and a shot Morales. Not exacty spoilt for choice, is he? Which makes me think this is one of Arum's aims. Unlike Floyd, Pac can pursue at least one more sellable opponent (JMM 4 or Bradley), and leave Floyd with his hands in his pants and without a decent dance partner for that May 5th date.
Damn. Someone else I forgot in the poll.

Yeah, don't underestimate Arum. If he thinks he can leave Mayweather out to dry with bad options on May 5, 2012, then you have to believe that will factor into the equation.
paulfv is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum