Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-04-2007, 02:53 PM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Who Are The Best 8 Fighters That Sugar Ray Robinson Fought?

And are they better than these guys, my pick of the fighters than he shared an era with but didn't fight?

In no particular order:

Charley Burley
Ezzard Charles
Archie Moore
Holman Williams
Jimmy Bivins
Jack Chase
Lloyd Marshall
Cocoa Kid

Last edited by Radar; 02-15-2006 at 07:55 PM.
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: Who Are The Best 8 Fighters That Sugar Ray Robinson Fought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
I don't think Charles and Moore really count, as they were clearly bigger opponents.
True, but i'm pretty sure Charles was doing time at MW when SRR was. Also, SRR was in negotiations with Moore over a fight at LHW which never happened (he priced himself out of it apparently). Besides, i'm sure they could have fought at a catchweight.

And i'm not neccesarily holding it against him that he didn't make all of these fights - just wondering how his best competition lines up v the best guys he didn't take on in that era.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Kid Gavilan and Henry Armstrong are the best fighters SRR faced. In p4p sense they are at least as good as any fighter from that list.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
True, but i'm pretty sure Charles was doing time at MW when SRR was. Also, SRR was in negotiations with Moore over a fight at LHW which never happened (he priced himself out of it apparently). Besides, i'm sure they could have fought at a catchweight.

And i'm not neccesarily holding it against him that he didn't make all of these fights - just wondering how his best competition lines up v the best guys he didn't take on in that era.
I think it's a good thing he never fought Moore. Moore was no slouch, and with the extra weight, Robinson would have been in deep waters against the Mongoose.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnoff
I think it's a good thing he never fought Moore. Moore was no slouch, and with the extra weight, Robinson would have been in deep waters against the Mongoose.
Yeah, Moore probably would have beat him. There are another seven boxers in my original list who may have been able to beat him, too.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Lets be fair, it's pretty hard to see many welterweights beating a top 1 or 2 175 legend.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 06:13 AM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Lets be fair, it's pretty hard to see many welterweights beating a top 1 or 2 175 legend.
Yes, that's true. I think SRR is probably the best fighter that ever drew breath. It's just interesting that there are so many holes in his resume as far as his era goes - because some of these fighters were black and obscure he got away with it free from criticism. But I think an argument could be made that the guys on that list could ALL be on a p4p list from that time, say, top 20.

Three are a lock for ALL TIME p4p top 20 in my view.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:21 AM   #8
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Yes, that's true. I think SRR is probably the best fighter that ever drew breath. It's just interesting that there are so many holes in his resume as far as his era goes - because some of these fighters were black and obscure he got away with it free from criticism. But I think an argument could be made that the guys on that list could ALL be on a p4p list from that time, say, top 20.

Three are a lock for ALL TIME p4p top 20 in my view.
Well if we compare Robinson's resume to Monzon and Hagler we see that they didn't even take one step up while Robinson by modern standards had already taken 2 to get to middleweight. I myself wouldn't call the likes of Moore and Charles holes on his resume lest we consider the likes of Spinks, Qawi and Foster as holes on the others, heck we may as well go to heavyweight seeing SRR was already a couple of divisions up. At Welter, Robinson's peak division, he beat who he had too including bonafide greats. He was about 95-2-1 by the time he last defended his 147 title, must be close to Marvin and Monzon's combines career. I so get your drift tho.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:23 AM   #9
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Out of interest are you calling Burley one of the three? Being supposedly avoided doesn't get you into the top 20 P4P alone. There's a heckuva lot better resumes and records around.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:30 AM   #10
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Well if we compare Robinson's resume to Monzon and Hagler we see that they didn't even take one step up while Robinson by modern standards had already taken 2 to get to middleweight.
I think he looks amazing at MW when he's firing properly. I shudder to think how he must have looked on his best night at WW.

He out and out ducked Burley at that weight though.

Quote:
I myself wouldn't call the likes of Moore and Charles holes on his resume lest we consider the likes of Spinks, Qawi and Foster as holes on the others
Well, Charles and SRR were at MW at the same time, I think. I may be wrong though And whilst "holes" may be a little strong both Moore and Charles represent "what ifs" as well as the opportunity to make himself "greater", always interesting.

In terms of quality, let's say that Burley, Marshall and Jack Chase are similair in terms of quality to Mayweather, Hopkins and Taylor - I don't think it's stretching things - can you imagine a guy fighitng between WW and MW between 2002 and 2007, failing to fight any of these guys and still being seen as the greatest of his era? Especially if they were all very available?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum