boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
roe

vCash:
Default Re: which boxers would be successful in MMA ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Jus interested as why Floyd (who has gone about his career in one of the most infuriating ways possible) is an indication of boxings superiority?
Just to me it shows that boxing is more than just about being tough. Not saying that's all MMA is because the skills involved are hard enough in their own rights. But I just think someone like Floyd wouldn't be able to compete in that because from what I've seen, MMA just seems to be a little too brutal just for the sake of it sometimes.

Sure it makes it more entertaining at times but it takes something away from it for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #17
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

As for B-Hop, even he said boxers would get their asses kicked in MMA.

Would David Beckham be good at rugby because he might have a chance to score a penalty every now and then? No, he wouldn't get there because he'd get mullered.

Tim Sylvia; not bad. Stood up with Ray Mercer and got smashed.

Kimbo; utter ****e. Took Mercer down and won with ease.

Most MMA fighters are not complete idiots, even those classed as primarily stand-up fighters would have the nous to take a boxer down and batter him.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #18
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjom View Post
i think anyone that can bang and has decent head movement foot speed, or someone who can control range, i remember bj penn beat sean sherk ( a wrestle) by introduing a decent jab, sherk couldnt get near him to take it to the ground and took a bit of a beating from boxing 101, the jab

wlad ticks all those boxes, so does manny yet they would still get put down pummelled, submitted whatever the choice be

sherk didnt want to take the fight to the ground, bj has serious bjj and sherk didnt want to risk getting submitted and bj also had at the time the best take down defence in mma, belive me bj's jab was not what kept that fight standing
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #19
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roe View Post
Just to me it shows that boxing is more than just about being tough. Not saying that's all MMA is because the skills involved are hard enough in their own rights. But I just think someone like Floyd wouldn't be able to compete in that because from what I've seen, MMA just seems to be a little too brutal just for the sake of it sometimes.

Sure it makes it more entertaining at times but it takes something away from it for me.
You don't know what you're talking about, but that's fine, genuinely not flaming you mate.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #20
roe

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
You don't know what you're talking about, but that's fine, genuinely not flaming you mate.
Fair enough
Old 12-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #21
Jimjom
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
wlad ticks all those boxes, so does manny yet they would still get put down pummelled, submitted whatever the choice be

sherk didnt want to take the fight to the ground, bj has serious bjj and sherk didnt want to risk getting submitted and bj also had at the time the best take down defence in mma, belive me bj's jab was not what kept that fight standing
i honestly dont think that a prime p4p top ten boxer with the attributes i stated would be absolutely destroyed, if it was that useless people wouldn't train it (obviously im accoutning for said boxer training in ground fighting and takedown defence etc for some time)

ye you're probably right im no mma expert but i do enjoy watching it, and that fight seemed to me like the jab was controlling the entire fight , but you make a good point about bj's ground game which id omitted
Jimjom is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #22
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Lol @ Hopkins being good in MMA!

His style works in Boxing, but MMA? He'd get eaten up in minutes.

Same goes for Ward. Being good in the clinch and relying on it in BOXING = a total nightmare for being in MMA.

Someone like Gamboa or Pac could have success due to their styles (Fast, Hard hitting etc).
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #23
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjom View Post
i honestly dont think that a prime p4p top ten boxer with the attributes i stated would be absolutely destroyed, if it was that useless people wouldn't train it (obviously im accoutning for said boxer training in ground fighting and takedown defence etc for some time)

ye you're probably right im no mma expert but i do enjoy watching it, and that fight seemed to me like the jab was controlling the entire fight , but you make a good point about bj's ground game which id omitted
no worries, it would depend on your definition of "some time", dont forget that a lot of a boxers skills and things boxers do are not used in mma, if you do use certain aspects of the game in mma it will actually work against you, a p4p top ten boxers skill would be a great skill set to have in mma if you have the ground game to support it, mma boxing and boxing are two different things
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #24
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Thing is as well, the takedown is a hell of a lot easier to pull off than a one punch ko.

It's alright saying that Penn won by a jab (his tdd is amazing anyway), but there's leg kicks to defend against, takedowns, elbows, head kicks etc.

A lot more than just hands to look out for.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #25
Prosinecki
SPINAL
ESB Jr Member

Any of the above mentioned would have a better go at it than James Toney managed last year. It would be impossible not to.

I'd go along with Nipple's suggestions, Gamboa and Pacquiao would cause problems with their hand speed and would possibly prove to be awkward to take down. However, once the fight went to the floor they would be in a world of **** without an abundance of the necessary training. Different worlds.

I heard Enzo Mac was thinking about going into MMA a couple of years back, dunno how true that was.
Prosinecki is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #26
Jimjom
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
no worries, it would depend on your definition of "some time", dont forget that a lot of a boxers skills and things boxers do are not used in mma, if you do use certain aspects of the game in mma it will actually work against you, a p4p top ten boxers skill would be a great skill set to have in mma if you have the ground game to support it, mma boxing and boxing are two different things
all good points, ive noticed the bold bit especially, i imagine the stance has to be changed etc, but sometimes i notice the standard of the stand up is a bit poor (to be expected they wont obviously be as good as floyd or manny, they dont need to be and cant dedicate to boxing 24/7) but i do think more boxers could make the switch dependent on training in other arts, vic darchinyan has expressed an interest and you pointed him out earlier
Jimjom is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #27
flashy k.o
Supporter of E.E fighters
ESB Addict

guys , I said that boxers as Mayweather,Ward & Hopkins would be good in mma because they are smart enough to learn fast this game ( wrestling, bjj , leg kicks etc and to use them efficient in a fight ) ! Of course first thought was to say that brawlers with a good k.o power can be successful in mma but I think that is about how fast you can learn and how good can you execute your game plan or adjust it into a fight.
flashy k.o is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #28
Prosinecki
SPINAL
ESB Jr Member

Couture vs Hopkins would be a laugh. Combined age of nearly 100.
Prosinecki is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #29
flashy k.o
Supporter of E.E fighters
ESB Addict

aaa Chad Dawson has some wrestling tricks .... same thing with Froch , he threw Dirrel down ., in that fight .. i think
flashy k.o is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #30
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Stand-up can look sloppy in MMA because of a few things:

-Preparing to defend takedowns
-Worrying about leg kicks
-4oz gloves

No P4P boxer would look as flawless punching in an MMA fight even if they knew how to utilise their skillset.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum