Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #46
Bryn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2221
Default Re: which boxers would be successful in MMA ?

I wonder which Celebrity Chef would be best suited to toe wrestling.
Bryn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #47
efc85
non entity
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2770

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy k.o View Post
Active boxers of any weight division .

I'd say that smart boxers that can adapt&adjust in a fight as: Mayweather,Ward,Hopkins can be successful in a mma career .

sorry if this kind of thread was before !
Ones that can wrestle
efc85 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #48
supremo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

They would all get destroyed! just like any MMA fighter would get destroyed in a boxing ring
supremo is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #49
Thomas!!

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
As for Vitali, 'World kickboxing champion'. Never in K-1 so what tin pot organisation did he win a title in?
I duno have a look on wikipedia, some title or other. Im not up on KBoxing so I wouldn't know.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #50
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

boxers punch right,mma fighters don't,you only have to watch it to know
a boxer fights without getting dragged into butt licking on the floor,he wins,a boxer gets dragged on the floor,he loses.

just a thought,are all mma fighters good top class wrestlers,i don't watch it at all,but i know a few lads who do it at pro level,in fact,i have a heavyweight pro working for me now,i thought it was a cross over sport,judo,karate,wrestling,boxers,most matial arts,not just wrestling
widdy is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #51
Jordan_Davies
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 8070

Vitali Klitschko and David Haye have a shout

Bernard Hopkins however would be having flashbacks from his prison days . . . .
Jordan_Davies is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #52
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdy View Post
boxers punch right,mma fighters don't,you only have to watch it to know
a boxer fights without getting dragged into butt licking on the floor,he wins,a boxer gets dragged on the floor,he loses.

just a thought,are all mma fighters good top class wrestlers,i don't watch it at all,but i know a few lads who do it at pro level,in fact,i have a heavyweight pro working for me now,i thought it was a cross over sport,judo,karate,wrestling,boxers,most matial arts,not just wrestling
Okay, tell me a few things:

-How does a boxer maintain punching form with much smaller gloves?
-Why does not throwing punches out of a boxing textbook mean that punches are inferior?
-How does a boxer keep one foot forward and avoid getting single leg takedowned?
-How do Jose Aldo, Junior Dos Santos, Mark Hominick, Alistair Overeem throw any differently to boxers?
-How easy is it to avoid getting taken down?

This is literally one of the most ignorant and misguided posts I have ever seen. I guarantee you've seen about five minutes of an MMA fight.

Wanna' hear something funny? I was once far worse than you.

Last edited by Flea Man; 12-01-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: More to add
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #53
Jasper Simone
Veteran Traveller
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 2572

I'm worse than most when it comes to MMA.

Have seen...um...none.

That's a lie actually....I saw James Toney getting choked by someone.
Jasper Simone is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #54
flashy k.o
Supporter of E.E fighters
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

guys i'm talking about boxers who can make this transition and learn fast how to grab , avoid a takedown, submit , wrestle , kicking with their legs etc , ...... and then to be a star in mma due his ability to learn and adapt fast to another discipline .

lets say that is only a good boxer without a wrestling,bjj,judo,kickboxing background !
flashy k.o is online now  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #55
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy k.o View Post
guys i'm talking about boxers who can make this transition and learn fast how to grab , avoid a takedown, submit , wrestle , kicking with their legs etc , ...... and then to be a star in mma due his ability to learn and adapt fast to another discipline .
None of them you imbecile, it takes years and years of hard work and training.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #56
MattMattMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Assuming we are talking about boxers transitioning to MMA, there is a big problem with citing cases where MMA fighters have effectively applied boxing. We are not taking into the account that the reason that some MMA fighters are able to control, dictate, and win fights with a stand up game is because they are also well rounded enough that they also know how to defend a take down, know how to fight on the ground, know how to defend submission attempts, know how to use knees in a clinch, know how to control an opponent against the cage, and the result of this is that their opponent is well aware that there is more to their opponents game than boxing, they have a lot more to risk, and a lot less to gain, by trying to take a rounded MMA fighter down than they do when they take down a boxer.

When even a pretty poor MMA fighter faces a boxer in MMA, then they know that if they can get past the couple of punches that will come their way when they go for the take down then they can be almost guaranteed the win. That can't be said when facing an MMA fighter with good hands. There will always be isolated cases where an MMA fighter does something stupid (Silva trying to stand with Mercer) but in the vast majority of cases boxers will be out of their element.

To clarify where I stand, I think almost every MMA fighter would get mullered in boxing if they tried the switch.
MattMattMatt is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #57
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

MattMattMatt: great post, I agree with the last point as well

And guys that only like boxing, don't get upset: after easily beating James Toney, Randy Couture admitted that the exact same thing would happen in reverse if he fought Toney in a boxing match.

Only people that see 'Boxing Vs MMA' are boxing fans. Even Dana White, the UFC President loves boxing, or at least boxing before it became the watered down fractured mess we see today.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #58
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

UFC 1 buried this myth years ago, and the Boxer involved was ranked highly as well wasn't he?

Believe me, Royce Gracie was NOT a good BJJ player, far ****ing from it. Very mediocre at the game.

That should tell you something right there...

MMA Boxing is so different to traditional Boxing!

The hands set up takedowns, kicks, elbows etc.

Hands in Boxing set up, er, more punches... Lol.

Someone like GSP or Sonned would steam right through the Boxing equiv of them in their weight class.

Like i said before, it's a lot easier to take someone down than it is to spark them out.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #59
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Okay, tell me a few things:

-How does a boxer maintain punching form with much smaller gloves?
-Why does not throwing punches out of a boxing textbook mean that punches are inferior?
-How does a boxer keep one foot forward and avoid getting single leg takedowned?
-How do Jose Aldo, Junior Dos Santos, Mark Hominick, Alistair Overeem throw any differently to boxers?
-How easy is it to avoid getting taken down?

This is literally one of the most ignorant and misguided posts I have ever seen. I guarantee you've seen about five minutes of an MMA fight.

Wanna' hear something funny? I was once far worse than you.
flea,that is the stupidest thing ive read mate,the bolded bit
its ****ing much much much much,i could write hundred much's,easier to punch with smaller gloves than big gloves,hence sparring with 18oz(ish) and boxing with 8oz(ish).when sparring with 18oz,if you can hit some ****er right with them,its ****ing easier to hit with 8oz,clumsy as **** 18oz gloves

ive watched a few,not many,takedowns and wrestling in tight shorts is not my thing love,the rest you have wrote,is just you talking shite flea,you usual trying to be clever bollocks.

i will ask the heavyweight kickboxing champ who is now a cage fighter,only beaten once on a real bad cut,who works for me ,i will ask him your points,see if he can answer,watching it,and doing for real iare 2 differant things,but a few of you will disagree,im sure
widdy is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #60
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Widdy, 8oz gloves allow BETTER punching form than 4oz gloves, that is my point, less risk of breaking your hands and not quite as damaging as smaller gloves for the guy being whacked. I would also say smaller gloves mean every shot counts more, probably why fronting is a lost art in boxing nowadays (also why we saw more clean K.Os back in the day)

I wasn't talking about sparring gloves, obviously, I agree with you there they can be cumbersome to work with. The fact that you've taken that from my post again shows how you're analytical skills are minimal.

Saying I'm 'trying to act clever' is like me saying you're trying to act stupid. How me presenting questions (backed up with fact, as usual) is acting clever I don't know.

It's also a good thing for people to say when they don't have anything to back up their biased claims.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum