Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #61
MattMattMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: which boxers would be successful in MMA ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Widdy, 8oz gloves allow BETTER punching form than 4oz gloves, that is my point, less risk of breaking your hands and not quite as damaging as smaller gloves for the guy being whacked. I would also say smaller gloves mean every shot counts more, probably why fronting is a lost art in boxing nowadays (also why we saw more clean K.Os back in the day)

I wasn't talking about sparring gloves, obviously, I agree with you there they can be cumbersome to work with. The fact that you've taken that from my post again shows how you're analytical skills are minimal.

Saying I'm 'trying to act clever' is like me saying you're trying to act stupid. How me presenting questions (backed up with fact, as usual) is acting clever I don't know.

It's also a good thing for people to say when they don't have anything to back up their biased claims.
What do you mean by 'fronting' in this context?
MattMattMatt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #62
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Widdy, 8oz gloves allow BETTER punching form than 4oz gloves, that is my point, less risk of breaking your hands and not quite as damaging as smaller gloves for the guy being whacked. I would also say smaller gloves mean every shot counts more, probably why fronting is a lost art in boxing nowadays (also why we saw more clean K.Os back in the day)

I wasn't talking about sparring gloves, obviously, I agree with you there they can be cumbersome to work with. The fact that you've taken that from my post again shows how you're analytical skills are minimal.

Saying I'm 'trying to act clever' is like me saying you're trying to act stupid. How me presenting questions (backed up with fact, as usual) is acting clever I don't know.

It's also a good thing for people to say when they don't have anything to back up their biased claims.
mate,my 'analytical skills'are fine
again,by you saying shit like this,on a boxing forum,just proves how clever you are.
mostly it just proves you read and study(apart from the physical side)a lot,and can talk the talk.
i am just a plastering ex boxer,who is a tad fick,who still goes to a gym now and again,can't spar cos of the head,but i try and give kids some advice,i will point them to the intellectuals on here.

****,the lad who works for me,who ive pointed out,even asks me advice on stuff,i will point him to some on here,im sure he will learn some stuff.

over and out
widdy is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #63
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Again Widdy, don't bother answering any of the questions, which are in no way related to your experience in boxing, which I will concede my inferiority to.

I know only the basics in terms of boxing technique, but try and teach the kids on my estate the same things, so fair play to you. Again, this isn't relevant in any way in applying textbook boxing technique to MMA, or rather the difficulty in doing so.

So either respond to the thread, rather than saying 'Boxing iz better den gay wrasslin' or concede that, in the context of the debate that is going on in this thread, that you don't know what you're on about. That doesn't mean you don't know about boxing, again, you're not reading my post properly.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #64
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMattMatt View Post
What do you mean by 'fronting' in this context?
I don't, I meant feinting thanks for pointing out the auto-correct error
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #65
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1057

If the MMA fighter decides to take it to the ground, then the boxer in big trouble, and is gonna be submitted or not be able to defend himself and be stopped

If the MMA fighter is stupid enough to try and win it in the stand up, then hes in big trouble, and is most certain to to be KO'd badly.

Standing up an elite Boxer is an exceptionally dangerous fighter probably the most dangerous, but when on the ground all his skill are taken away.
sugarsean is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #66
The Spider

vCash:

Coincidentally I read a Vic Darchinyan quote in a newspaper this morning where he says he will definitely have an MMA fight in 2012
Old 12-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #67
flashy k.o
Supporter of E.E fighters
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

it's obvious that if you put an mma elite fighter with an elite boxer in the ring , the mma fighter will be whipped on boxing rules , but look at Junior Dos Santos , he relies on his boxing skills / power / range and he became the UFC heavyweight champion .... so , I think that a good boxer which can learn fast ( wrestling,bjj, how to avoid a takedown etc ) , can do a good work in mma . ......
flashy k.o is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #68
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

But JDS didn't learn fast. He's been working hard for years. His takedown defence is good, it's not easy to learn.

There's not much money in MMA anyway, doubt any boxers would want to take the risk.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #69
jpab19
Exploding Muffin Dad
East Side Guru

vCash: 9287

Neither is "better" than the other. They're different sports, and just because you have a preference for one doesn't make it superior to the other.

Though I will be a hypocrite for a moment and say that gladiator fighting is totally cooler than curling.
jpab19 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2011, 03:34 AM   #70
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdy View Post
boxers punch right,mma fighters don't,you only have to watch it to know
a boxer fights without getting dragged into butt licking on the floor,he wins,a boxer gets dragged on the floor,he loses.

just a thought,are all mma fighters good top class wrestlers,i don't watch it at all,but i know a few lads who do it at pro level,in fact,i have a heavyweight pro working for me now,i thought it was a cross over sport,judo,karate,wrestling,boxers,most matial arts,not just wrestling

this post shows you know **** all about mma, you cannot throw punches in mma as you would do in boxing, if you commit to a punch in mma like following through with your shoulder for the straight right, pivoting left with the back foot, rotating the hips in an anti clock wise direction your balance for defending the takedown is gone, squared up shoulders and hips is how to defend a takedown and if you throw a textbook right hand even someone who has trained wreslting for 12 months will know how to duck the right hand shoot and put you on your arse as your balance is now gone and your hips are facing more to your left. Throwing less effective punches but keeping a squared up stance is more viable in mma than throwing a nice shot and getting pinned down

btw wrestling is the dominant ma in mma judo and karate are becoming more and more insignificant
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2011, 03:39 AM   #71
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
But JDS didn't learn fast. He's been working hard for years. His takedown defence is good, it's not easy to learn.

There's not much money in MMA anyway, doubt any boxers would want to take the risk.

i think junior did learn fast, he wouldnt be where he is today if he wasnt a fast learner, it still took him close to 10 to 12 training years to get where he is today

this notion that a boxer with a couple of years training could compete at the top of the ufc is all wrong
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2011, 04:01 AM   #72
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
i think junior did learn fast, he wouldnt be where he is today if he wasnt a fast learner, it still took him close to 10 to 12 training years to get where he is today

this notion that a boxer with a couple of years training could compete at the top of the ufc is all wrong
Exactly, at least a decade! As for textbook boxing striking, not essential with 4oz gloves.

So Floyd, B-Hop, Haye...all ancient before they'd even have a chance even assuming they take to it like a duck to water.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2011, 06:20 AM   #73
flashy k.o
ESB Addict

Quote:

when I said " to learn fast " I didn't refer to a few months ,I referred to 1-3 years, lets say ! ... "to learn fast" - is how fast can a man learn and apply a technique ( wrestling,ground game, avoid takedowns ,etc ) in comparation with others !

and it's not about the money , it's about if a good boxer can be successful in mma , if he can manage good in this discipline with the right training and time .... not overnight

aaa, and sorry if didn't specify the period of training ( how years )

Last edited by flashy k.o; 12-02-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #74
zulander
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

havent we seen james toney go into mma and last seconds
agaisnt someone who as equally shot in mma as he is in boxing.

The sports are simelar but different - think ruby league, rugby union, nfl
zulander is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #75
flashy k.o
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulander View Post
havent we seen james toney go into mma and last seconds
agaisnt someone who as equally shot in mma as he is in boxing.

The sports are simelar but different - think ruby league, rugby union, nfl
well yes , this is a good exemple but I don't know how long J. Toney prepared for that fight .... it was only a single fight in mma for J.T , but if Toney would 've had more time for preparing , some prepare fights in mma for the experience , maybe the things would've went better for Toney in that fight ....

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum