Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 75
Default Re: Lyoto Machida in the early UFCs

Just curious Cross-trainer, why did you pick Machida for this scenario?
Pachilles is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,291
vCash: 277
Default Re: Lyoto Machida in the early UFCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba View Post
Don't know about that just because Royce would have won his share of matches and probably loses to Machida via decision. .
I think Machida would have ruined Royce, Machida is a solid BB who has been training BJJ for years added to the fact he is bigger and he would be on top I would bet Royce couldn't do anything and with modern GnP involved he would brutalize Royce.

Also it would only go to the ground if Machida let it.

In answer to the thread: Karate would be huge, I also think it would slow the sports development or at least change it, you may have more boxers/kick-boxers entering the fray after learning TDD.

But the grappling element of Machida's game would be ignored.
196osh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,291
vCash: 277
Default Re: Lyoto Machida in the early UFCs

Hell Machida might sub Royce after ground and pound. Machida has been training BJJ for 18 years according to WIKI.
196osh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #19
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
Default Re: Lyoto Machida in the early UFCs

machida all day il support him win or loss he brought back traditional karate with a modern twist onnit and beat people with it most elusive and one of the most technical strikers in the ufc.
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lyoto Machida in the early UFCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
Just curious Cross-trainer, why did you pick Machida for this scenario?
Two reasons. First, because he's a successful "traditional" martial artist, which raises the questions I discussed earlier. Second, because people consider him an excellent example of the sport's progress. He's well-rounded and more or less complete. Plus, he has the size that Anderson Silva and GSP don't.

GSP versus the early UFC's would also be quite interesting, though...
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #21
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: And the NEW...
Posts: 6,008
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lyoto Machida in the early UFCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer View Post
Two reasons. First, because he's a successful "traditional" martial artist, which raises the questions I discussed earlier. Second, because people consider him an excellent example of the sport's progress. He's well-rounded and more or less complete. Plus, he has the size that Anderson Silva and GSP don't.

GSP versus the early UFC's would also be quite interesting, though...
Glamrock woulda slapped a guillotine on ol' George, and that's all she wrote.
Axe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #22
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 9,167
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lyoto Machida in the early UFCs

He beats everyone including royce gracie-ken shamrock and dan severn.
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #23
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,025
vCash: 800
Default Re: Lyoto Machida in the early UFCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 196osh View Post
I think Machida would have ruined Royce, Machida is a solid BB who has been training BJJ for years added to the fact he is bigger and he would be on top I would bet Royce couldn't do anything and with modern GnP involved he would brutalize Royce.

Also it would only go to the ground if Machida let it.

In answer to the thread: Karate would be huge, I also think it would slow the sports development or at least change it, you may have more boxers/kick-boxers entering the fray after learning TDD.

But the grappling element of Machida's game would be ignored.
Dont know about that. That was prime Royce and say what you want, Machidas BJJ now doesnt equal to Royce then. He would take him down but he wont mount him and Royce was so defensive in his guard that I dont think he stops him.

Maybe if he caught Royce standing then he would stop him for sure.
chimba is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #24
Anarchy99
Babalu will KILL You!
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 441
Default Re: Lyoto Machida in the early UFCs

Machida vs PRIME TANK ABBOTT!!!!!! WARRRR TANK!
Anarchy99 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #25
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 3,631
vCash: 500
Default Re: Lyoto Machida in the early UFCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba View Post
^^^No its not because intended or not, it shows that current fighters are better than older ones and we're talking only 15 or so years of evolution.

Hopefully, MMA in its current form survives and becomes one of those sport that respects its elder statemen but doesn't propagate the myth of them being unbeatable.
I see where you're going with this. No one thinks the boxing pioneers were unbeatable and by pioneers I mean guys like Corbett and Sullivan. By the 1940s-1960s boxing as an art form was evolved and SRR and Ali, two of the guys I'm sure you're taking a backhanded swipe at, would mop the floor with today's crop of fighters.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013