Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-03-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
Chad Dawson

vCash:
Default The Thomas Hearns right hand

I am very tall for my weight and naturally been trying to use a Thomas Hearns right hand. Its very hard to land anything after throwing it for me. Because you are punching down its hard to then get back into position if you miss punching down your so out of position too. Anyone got any tips? :'(
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Arranmcl
Arran
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: The Thomas Hearns right hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dawson View Post
I am very tall for my weight and naturally been trying to use a Thomas Hearns right hand. Its very hard to land anything after throwing it for me. Because you are punching down its hard to then get back into position if you miss punching down your so out of position too. Anyone got any tips? :'(

Don't miss.
Arranmcl is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arranmcl View Post
Don't miss.
Nice tip, really helped him I'm sure.
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

If you are that tall and have long range on your punches, it is likely you won't be in punching range of smaller, less reach opponents in the first place. That is, unless you are leaning in real far and fighting small, as in bowing down to the opponents height. If you are "fighting tall" even missing against shorter opponents shouldn't present much of a problem.

As an average size guy for my weight back when I was boxing amateur, I'd do my best to get inside the arm length of taller opponents where their offense was less effective. Not to say I didn't take some shots coming in, but that's the price you pay for fighting inside taller opponents.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Also, try to get video of some of the Klitschko fights. Both those guys are very tall, even for heavyweights and check out their style, especially Wladimir's European straight up style of fighting. They are 2 of the better examples of how to fight tall that I can think of right now.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Height and weight?? Just alot of people make assumptions for their weights based on those in there gyms but most of the time those assumptions are wrong
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
thehook13

vCash: 75

Just keep perfecting the right and your stance, it will work. Dont throw too hard or over extend. Try follow it up with a left if you miss. Or a bob to right. Work on mean upper cuts aswell, tommy (and lennox) had the upper cut timing perfect
thehook13 is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Go and Study what Thumb Up Thumb down means. It is Emanuel steward secret with tall fighters and the right hand.
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Arranmcl
Arran
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
Nice tip, really helped him I'm sure.
Worked for hearns.

In all seriousness, if you miss then move your head straight away, or come back with a left then move your head. That's what i do anyway. I'm 6'0 and 126 lb (9 stone).

Also, can you describe in more detail how you go about throwing 'The Thomas Hearns right hand'? I know how to get decent pop out my right hand but i've never tryed to replicate his one. Would be interesting if you could explain further.
Arranmcl is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #10
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Its all in His back knee.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
supremo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Dont shift all your weight onto the front foot and then you are still able to move out the way of a counter if you miss.
Try to pull your left sholder back and push your right shoulder forward at the same time to maximise power.
Turn your full arm so that at the moment of impact if you stuck your thumb up it would be pointing near enough at the floor.
Get your distance correct so that you are hitting them with your right and uyour arm is fully extended so no power is lost out the way at your elbow.
Stand tall dont duck down to their level.

In my opinion, I am anot a coach though but I am a tall amateur fiughter.
supremo is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
LongJab
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Watch Lennox Lewis to see how he controls distance with the jab to set up a long right hand. Also focus on his subtle underrated footwork.
LongJab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing