Official GTMSBT Marquez
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1002
Default Re: Boxers that recover quickly

Hagler.
Morales.
JMM.
Duran.
A lot of the great 70s heavies: Lyle, Shavers, Frazier, Ali and others all took shots that looked as if they might get dropped and shook them off.
haglerwon is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 01:33 AM   #17
Count Pacula
Cashweight Thrillionaire
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Mayweather has a solid chin and can recovery well physically, but mentally, it takes him a round or two to figure out what his opponent's doing and then stop it from happening, rather than come right back in spite of it having occurred. Nacho once said "hit him once, and he's fine, but more than 2 or 3 punches, and he loses a step." As amazingly skilled as he is, there's some truth to it when you look at the expressions on his face early on in some of his toughest fights.
Not really. When he was hurt by Corley he went to the ropes and administered good defense and moments later Floyd actually hurt Corley with a left hook. You can't do that unless you're mentally recovered. Also Floyd actually had Shane backing up when Mosley failed to finish Floyd in rd 2. Shane was getting hit on the body which took some steam off his punches. If the round had lasted longer Floyd would've made it an even round or possibly even win it. In round 3 we saw a fresh and focused Floyd. His recovery time is good if not great.

As for getting hit by 2 or 3 solid punches and getting rocked, doesn't that apply to almost every fighter? Hell, I don't remember a time when FMJ was actually hit by that many shots consecutively. Not many people talk about it but Pac was actually stunned by Cotto once (don't remember which round but he was knocked off balance briefly by a hook). And then of course he was hurt by Marg's body shot and almost went down. Not sure why you don't have Floyd on the list.
Count Pacula is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #18
MAIN
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingbull View Post
We often talk about the chin of a boxer and how fast they can get knocked out but who do you guys think were some of the best fighters that recovered from a knockdown? seems to be a lost art these days.

Piss drinker

see fights 1 and 2 with manny and especially the one wit katsidis

and of course maidana, he was dropped by ortiz, got up to whoop his ass, also dropped by khan and should've been out had he been a regular man, but got up and went the full 12

a notable is ninja turtle, the way he got dropped by holt and still took the ud was good, i'd like to say lamont as well in his ortiz fight, a 10 round fight and having a 10-7 round against you and still pulling out to get a draw

since you're asking about knocked down, would be kind of hard to say since manny hasn't been knocked down while being in the states but he does have great recovery in taking flush shots and still being able to fight through it and fight back, and the same can be said for lil floyd

***just for fun, rocky balboa

Last edited by MAIN; 12-08-2011 at 02:25 AM.
MAIN is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2011, 01:50 AM   #19
haglerwon
Official GTMSBT Marquez
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1002

Froch is pretty good, too.
haglerwon is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 01:53 AM   #20
NaughtySnowman

vCash: 75

This guy isn't the greatest to do with your question, but still it's pretty impressive, was on Eurosport last night
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU7fN1ehP8U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU7fN1ehP8U[/ame]
NaughtySnowman is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 02:03 AM   #21
omiyourhomie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Marquez
omiyourhomie is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 02:50 AM   #22
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Pacula View Post
Not really. When he was hurt by Corley he went to the ropes and administered good defense and moments later Floyd actually hurt Corley with a left hook. You can't do that unless you're mentally recovered. Also Floyd actually had Shane backing up when Mosley failed to finish Floyd in rd 2. Shane was getting hit on the body which took some steam off his punches. If the round had lasted longer Floyd would've made it an even round or possibly even win it. In round 3 we saw a fresh and focused Floyd. His recovery time is good if not great.

As for getting hit by 2 or 3 solid punches and getting rocked, doesn't that apply to almost every fighter? Hell, I don't remember a time when FMJ was actually hit by that many shots consecutively. Not many people talk about it but Pac was actually stunned by Cotto once (don't remember which round but he was knocked off balance briefly by a hook). And then of course he was hurt by Marg's body shot and almost went down. Not sure why you don't have Floyd on the list.
Floyd is usually cool under pressure, but getting clocked against Judah, against Ortiz, and against Mosley,in the remainder of the round, he boxed well, but it took him pretty much the rest of the round each time to re-set. He defends well but even when nothing's landed after a god punch or set of punches, I feel he can't retake control immediately the way a Morales or a Marquez might. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but his recovery IMO isn't the best in terms of mental recovery. His chin is fine and he's clearheaded pretty quickly, he just doesn't collect himself quickly is all I meant.

Pacquiao got clocked by Cotto really hard in that fight, I know what you're talking about, but he kept on going about his business like he was fine; when he got hit by Margarito, he fought his way off the ropes with sheer intensity.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #23
Borincano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanitoboxing View Post
Trinidad
Yes, Trinidad. I use to feel bad for guys to drop him. Pryor was another one, but I think his cool aid had something to do with it. I have a DVD of him fighting a undefeated KO artist. He got dropped like a Tyson victim and he just jump up like he just won the lottery. SRL was commentating and could believe it himself. If I find the DVD, I hope someone can explain how I can upload it. It would be such a great fight for all to comment on. I know they just mention the Arguello fight only, but this fight has to be discussed if I can find it.
Borincano is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 05:07 AM   #24
JunitoJab
Antagonist
ESB Addict

vCash: 215

JMM

And has been mentioned, Maidana, from that Khan shot, damn, i even felt that shot, the way maidana winced, i thought it was over.
JunitoJab is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #25
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Aw how could i forget Trinidad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunitoJab View Post
JMM

And has been mentioned, Maidana, from that Khan shot, damn, i even felt that shot, the way maidana winced, i thought it was over.
I did too. I thought no no no, this can't be happening. Then he went on.

The man is a zombie.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 05:22 AM   #26
Borincano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtySnowman View Post
This guy isn't the greatest to do with your question, but still it's pretty impressive, was on Eurosport last night
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

A hurt fighter is a dangerous fighter. I remember Lennex getting hurt badly by I believe Bruno. He had Lennex, but bang, Lennex stops him.

Last edited by Borincano; 12-08-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:23 AM   #27
Borincano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunitoJab View Post
JMM

Yes, that was incredible.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #28
Lamp1n
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

yea Calzaghe for me
Lamp1n is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #29
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488

Zab Judah
Arcane is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #30
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Carlos Monzon...bouncing right up from a brutal right hand in the second Rodrigo Valdez fight...ooops....I'm sorry...I forgot, this is the general forum. Monzon-Valdez happened in '77.
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum