Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
JunitoJab
Antagonist
ESB Addict

vCash: 156
Default Lamont Peterson

Does anybody find it hard not to root for this guy ?

I expect Khan to beat him, which is a shame. He's a very good boxer & a good guy. Seems to respect everyone, doesn't trash talk (Not that i've heard anyway). Makes a lot of sense when he talks, such as from that radio interview Shaun posted yesterday.

It won't be easy for Khan, but if he wins, like i think he will, i hope Peterson gives a performance that fans unfamiliar with him, will remember.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OENBNY-6wF8[/ame]
JunitoJab is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
floyd_g.o.a.t
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Lamont Peterson

You cant hate lamont.

His story is amazing, its just such a shame that he will always be in the shadow of others and probably wont ever be known as an 'elite' fighter.
floyd_g.o.a.t is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
JunitoJab
Antagonist
ESB Addict

That's so true
Old 12-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
cesare-borgia
‹bermensch in fieri
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd_g.o.a.t View Post
You cant hate lamont.

His story is amazing, its just such a shame that he will always be in the shadow of others and probably wont ever be known as an 'elite' fighter.
Yeah this, he is probably b level but he can become a beltholder when everyone moves up to 147 and he is left at 140.
cesare-borgia is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Redondo5
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 4380

Whenever I think about his story I think of this video

BORKED

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbL0bX_hStM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]
Redondo5 is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Lamont is one person I wouldn't seeing Khan lose to. He's a genuine, likeable guy; one that I think has a good chance of causing an upset. And it's been said in another thread that he's looking to expose the weakness that Khan exhibited in the Prescott fight. I'll copy and paste what I think he will/could do:

I think he's referring to Khan's right hand constantly dropping when he throws his left. Despite being far more defensively astute since that loss, he still leaves himself open for someone clever and quick enough to rip a swift left hook in (a shot that I think Mayweather will stop or knock Khan out with).

And apparently, Peterson is most impressed by his Kotelnik win. I get the feeling that he's been watching that fight more than any other of Khan's. I know he [Khan] has improved further since then, but the below vid illustrates perfectly how open his chin is in the midst of throwing combos.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V63C2Be2ArY[/ame]

So, I'm looking for Peterson to not make the same mistake Judah and Kotelnik did - which was to wait for Khan to get off first, remaining in a defensive shell until the assult was over. Instead, he'll be throwing with him. Kind of like what JMM - someone who Peterson looks up to - did with Pac. When he does that, he'll have loads of opportunities to land that money punch. Check out Barrera's left hook after the 0:10 mark here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBlkQedQmLI&feature=fvwrel[/ame]

And going back to the Prescott fight, three of the most important punches landed on Khan were all left-hooks thrown in middle of exchanges:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M61qVugGIfI[/ame]

But of course, leaving yourself open when throwing punches, is something which nearly every fighter does. So it's not a huge knock on Khan. It's extremely difficult to put your chin in a safe place when attacking. But it is one of the easiest, most tried and tested methods of knocking him to the ground. And if I remember correctly, the knockdowns against Limond and Gomez were by left-hooks, too, right? He's gotta' be real careful on Saturday. Real careful.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Yea him and his whole family (not just Anthony) had a very very hard time growing up.

I'm not a big Amir fan, so I just hope he can somehow pull the upset and win this fight. If there was ever a guy who was handed a raw deal by life its him.

Whats also so nice about him is you never hear him moan about it, he is really genuinely humble. All round good guy!
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
JunitoJab
Antagonist
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redondo5 View Post
Whenever I think about his story I think of this video

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Yeah i remember that video. Very dramatic.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
JunitoJab
Antagonist
ESB Addict

Excellent post Rico, thanks for the time & effort. Peterson has a really nice left hook, hope to see him work it. I think this is going to be a great fight.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
JunitoJab
Antagonist
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
Yea him and his whole family (not just Anthony) had a very very hard time growing up.

I'm not a big Amir fan, so I just hope he can somehow pull the upset and win this fight. If there was ever a guy who was handed a raw deal by life its him.

Whats also so nice about him is you never hear him moan about it, he is really genuinely humble. All round good guy!
That is true, i haven't heard him complain at all..
Old 12-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #11
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunitoJab View Post
That is true, i haven't heard him complain at all..
He is a credit to boxing it would be nice to see him get a BIG win!
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #12
Post Box
I'm back too, bitches
East Side Guru

Yeah man the more I see ive been studying Peterson fights recently and the build up to this fight im growing a real liking to the guy. Good to see him getting the respect he deserves on here too

He's a class fighter and I would be shocked if Khan was to stop him but more shocked if Lamont was to pull the upset. Khan UD after dropping a few rounds
Post Box is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum