Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
eze
Everybody Know Me
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default UFC Turns Down Offer To Co-Promote Fedor-Randy

The following is a quote from [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], which appeared in a blog entry from The [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s Steve Sievert:

"We got an official offer from M-1 to the UFC to do a co-promotion for the Couture-Emelianenko fight, and they (UFC) rejected that offer. Really, the only thing standing in the way for that fight right now is [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and the UFC. Obviously, M-1 is happy to do a co-promotion like that. It only serves to help them. I think the UFC is looking at it the other way, and it's like why do we want to help out another organization? The fans want to see that fight. At some point, you have to put that first."
eze is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
amhlilhaus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: UFC Turns Down Offer To Co-Promote Fedor-Randy

anyone who thought dana the dipshit would copromote with anyone is living in their own world, a one without reason.
amhlilhaus is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

Well... I can see the UFC's view here. They gave Fedor a huge money offer that he turned down... Randy resigns and runs their name through the mud... M-1 starts up and signs Fedor..... And now they expect the UFC to co-promote this fight, putting M-1 under their HUGE spotlight? Of course M-1 would want this, they are an upstart with no fan base yet. The UFC has everything in MMA at it's fingertips... so of course they would want to leach off of that. I don't blame the UFC for this move. Of course I would LOVE to see this fight, however you can't expect UFC to take a few slaps in the face, and then give a huge publicity hand out to M-1 (rival org), Fedor (turned them down), Randy (resigned from the company).
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Yep. UFC would also have a lot to lose considering they expect Fedor to win.. After all, if they expected Couture to win, this could be a match co promoted that could drive a nail in the coffin of M-1..
Koa is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa
Yep. UFC would also have a lot to lose considering they expect Fedor to win.. After all, if they expected Couture to win, this could be a match co promoted that could drive a nail in the coffin of M-1..
Exactly.Theres pro`s and cons that swing both ways.Either way Fedor Couture is GREAT for MMA.Putting the UFC and M-1 aside MMA NEEDS this fight.Right now the MMA lansdscape is VERY quiet.Because the UFC is pretty much MMA right now and the coverage in the east is less and less now there is no premier org, its shows have got thinner, and there has been a distinct lack of consistency.If the UFC wants its candle to continue to burn Dana will make Fedor Couture.But alas theres more chance of pork chops growing on the palm tree`s of Tel Aviv.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
curmudgeon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR
Well... I can see the UFC's view here. They gave Fedor a huge money offer that he turned down... Randy resigns and runs their name through the mud... M-1 starts up and signs Fedor..... And now they expect the UFC to co-promote this fight, putting M-1 under their HUGE spotlight? Of course M-1 would want this, they are an upstart with no fan base yet. The UFC has everything in MMA at it's fingertips... so of course they would want to leach off of that. I don't blame the UFC for this move. Of course I would LOVE to see this fight, however you can't expect UFC to take a few slaps in the face, and then give a huge publicity hand out to M-1 (rival org), Fedor (turned them down), Randy (resigned from the company).
Option B: Couture wriggles out of UFC handcuffs..err. contract, and M1 does the promotion for this very anticipated match on its own.
curmudgeon is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
LONE WOLF
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Fedor will fight Couture in Oct of 2008, when Couture's contract expires. UFC is dumb to turn this offer down, because they will get jack shit when that happens. They are just stalling.
LONE WOLF is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONE WOLF
Fedor will fight Couture in Oct of 2008, when Couture's contract expires. UFC is dumb to turn this offer down, because they will get jack shit when that happens. They are just stalling.
? I could've swore Couture's contract ends in summer.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoalf
his fighting contract expires...but he also has other clauses like commentary and something else I believe. I'll bet Dana is having a fit just thinking about this.....I'm sure he'll try something or he'll miss the train.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX
his fighting contract expires...but he also has other clauses like commentary and something else I believe. I'll bet Dana is having a fit just thinking about this.....I'm sure he'll try something or he'll miss the train.
Well does his commentary/promotional contract prevents him from fighting in other orgs.? Then again after reading what Fedor said about his contract it wouldn't be too surprising.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #11
theunderdog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 166

**** Dana
theunderdog is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 10:10 PM   #12
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoalf
Hopefully that is how its viewed, but likely he will lose a legal battle as he was contracted for 3 fights over a time period, if he refuses to complete those fights he doesn't really have a legal leg to stand on.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 10:12 PM   #13
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yea, it comes down to the details of the contract which we have no info.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2007, 12:26 AM   #14
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

Randy will not get out of his contract without finishing the number of fights that he agreed to. The UFC has to hold up their end of the deal, by providing Couture with fights that he can take. They have already held up their end by offering Couture to fight Nog. Couture's contract will not just run out do to the time limit, when he refused to fight his contracted number of fights.

When the contracts are drawn up, they are for a certain number of fights, which are assured by the UFC to be given in a certain amount of time. The UFC would be in breach of contract if they didn't make the number of fights available to the fighter within that time frame... however, the fighter is in breach of contract if he doesn't fight the contracted number of times.

Don't you guys remember Vera asking the UFC for an extension on his time to fight his last contract fight, due to his management problems? They gave him an extension, and he came back and fought after he had cleared up his legal issues.

The UFC doesn't seem all that unfair to me. Of course, they have to look after themselves.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2007, 03:53 AM   #15
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

UFC would have had Fedor if they would simply allow him to fight competetive Sambo. Now they have shit all over their faces.
Koa is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum