Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #31
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,441
vCash: 1550
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite
thats the thing though. there is one important fact that you are ignoring. pbf isn't "just some striker." he is pbf, one of the greatest boxers in the history of the sport.
You're 12.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2007, 12:59 PM   #32
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite
thats the thing though. there is one important fact that you are ignoring. pbf isn't "just some striker." he is pbf, one of the greatest boxers in the history of the sport.
and that would matter if we were talking boxing.
You can't "box" in mma. You roll a jab and end up in a clench and kneed in the head. So, most of what he knows, he can't bring with him to mma.
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #33
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 727
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

Christ, anything for attention.
Donut62 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #34
sprite
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "heart never got to develop cause he never saw the fight from the downside"
Posts: 129
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrtfo
and that would matter if we were talking boxing.
You can't "box" in mma. You roll a jab and end up in a clench and kneed in the head. So, most of what he knows, he can't bring with him to mma.
any grappler would be knocked out by mayweather before they even have an oppurtunity to shoot in
sprite is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #35
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite
any grappler would be knocked out by mayweather before they even have an oppurtunity to shoot in
See that is ridiculouse. You saw "any", but remember that MMA is no longer a guy who wrestled in college with no other training fighting a boxer. A guy could throw kick or do anything and then shoot. If PBF throws a punch and commits, but does not land flush, he will be grabbed.

I spent most of my life in a boxing gym and have WAY better hands than anyone in my MMA gym but those leg kicks will break you down and one slip up and you're on the mat.

My mma gym has Muay thia and BJJ, that's it so my hands are leagues above everyone else's but I need more than that
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #36
sprite
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "heart never got to develop cause he never saw the fight from the downside"
Posts: 129
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

but mayweather is a great athlete. he would learn bjj or whatever that grabastic stuff is at an accelerated rate faster than anybody in the world.
sprite is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #37
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,633
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite
but mayweather is a great athlete. he would learn bjj or whatever that grabastic stuff is at an accelerated rate faster than anybody in the world.


Mayweather is a master of boxing technique... he isn't the greatest athlete in the world. Floyd has been boxing since he was in diapers. THAT is why he is great at boxing. There are plenty of wrestlers who are greater overall athletes than PBF... and THEY have been grappling their entire lives. They have mastered the art of grappling just like Mayweather has mastered the art of boxing.

Also, it is 100 times easier to get your hands on an opponent, than it is for that opponent to land a perfect knockout blow on you. Once someone who has been grappling their entire lives gets their hands on Floyd... it's over. Yes, Floyd is a great athlete, and he could learn other sports at a high rate. However, he isn't going to get better in that short period of time, than other great athletes who have done it their entire lives.

Also, Mayweather would have trouble with good Muay Thai fighters as well. You have to remember, that even in the striking aspect of MMA... you can't simply box your way around everything. He would have to be checking leg kicks, be prepared to block kicks to the body, kicks to the head, knees to the body, and head, elbows, the clinch, dirty boxing, where the other guy would be allowed to simply tie Mayweather up, while they threw their shots at him. All of these things seriously negate Mayweather's strengths. Let alone the obvious fact that he has to be ready to defend takedowns, shots, throws, submission attempts.... AND THE OTHER GUYS PUNCHES AS WELL. It is a hell of a lot easier to defend in boxing, where you only have to worry about two fists, with bog gloves, that not only take away some of the damage, but also Mayweather uses his own gloves as a main part of his defense. All of that is GONE in MMA. Nobody is going to pull his opponent off of him, when they tie up... nobody is going to have to settle for standing outside on Mayweather, while Mayweather uses his elbow for seperation, and setting up his shots. Mayweather lifts that elbow up, and he is going to be landing on his head in a matter of seconds.



Trust me, I have wrestled my entire life, and when I teach people wrestling who have never done it before... it is AMAZING how easy it is to manhandle these people. I mean, they literally have ZERO sense of body control, momentum, the general pushing and pulling of a grappling match, the techniques... ect.... There are certain moves that will work EVERY SINGLE TIME against them. It takes years and years to become fully aware on the ground, and after doing it from being a little kid on up, you can literally do it with your eyes closed, simply by feeling the positions, leverage, body weight, ect... It's almost like another sense that you get. I guess it may be impossible for me to explain.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #38
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Fife, Scotland.
Posts: 2,848
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

That was a good post but you shouldn't have bothered, the guy is a moron and will just stick with the mantra of "Teh Boxar will always land teh miracal KO first punch thrown!!11oneone!!1"
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #39
sprite
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "heart never got to develop cause he never saw the fight from the downside"
Posts: 129
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR

Mayweather is a master of boxing technique... he isn't the greatest athlete in the world. Floyd has been boxing since he was in diapers. THAT is why he is great at boxing.
since boxing is the most athletic and difficult sport in the world [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

and since pbf is number one in boxing

it logically follows pbf is one of the greatest athletes in the world

Last edited by Machiavelli; 11-27-2006 at 01:05 PM.
sprite is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:50 PM   #40
sprite
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "heart never got to develop cause he never saw the fight from the downside"
Posts: 129
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR


Trust me, I have wrestled my entire life, and when I teach people wrestling who have never done it before... it is AMAZING how easy it is to manhandle these people. I mean, they literally have ZERO sense of body control, momentum, the general pushing and pulling of a grappling match, the techniques... ect.... There are certain moves that will work EVERY SINGLE TIME against them.
thats because you've been hangin' with the scrubs who are slow to learn
sprite is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #41
Boinko
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite
since boxing is the most athletic and difficult sport in the world [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

and since pbf is number one in boxing

it logically follows pbf is one of the greatest athletes in the world
Sure, PBF is an amazing athlete no doubt.

But, notice hockey is second on that ESPN list. Does that mean that Mayweather could become an NHL player with ease just because he is a great athlete? Of course not.
Similarly, Floyd would have little chance against a really great wrestler/grappler no matter how great an athlete he is. The disciplines are so entirely different.
Boinko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #42
sprite
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "heart never got to develop cause he never saw the fight from the downside"
Posts: 129
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinko
Sure, PBF is an amazing athlete no doubt.

But, notice hockey is second on that ESPN list. Does that mean that Mayweather could become an NHL player with ease just because he is a great athlete? Of course not.
Similarly, Floyd would have little chance against a really great wrestler/grappler no matter how great an athlete he is. The disciplines are so entirely different.
there are no weight classes in NHL so your hockey analogy is null

and you are missing the point. since pbf is a great athlete he would learn those grabastic disciplines real fast. but that doesn't even matter cause pbf would own the ufc with his stand up fists.
sprite is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #43
Boinko
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite
there are no weight classes in NHL so your hockey analogy is null

and you are missing the point. since pbf is a great athlete he would learn those grabastic disciplines real fast. but that doesn't even matter cause pbf would own the ufc with his stand up fists.
You may want to go back and read Widdow_Makers's post again. There's no point me repeating what he said stated so correctly.
Boinko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #44
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,633
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite
since boxing is the most athletic and difficult sport in the world [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

and since pbf is number one in boxing

it logically follows pbf is one of the greatest athletes in the world
Let's see what another one of boxing's top pd 4 pd fighters have to say on the matter.

Here is what Winky Wright says...

EL: This question is a little off topic, but I wanted to know your thoughts on professional boxers entering the K-1 Mixed Martial Arts tournaments? Butterbean and Frans Botha have fought already and neither fared too well and now Botha will challenge Bob Sapp in December.

WR: No, I donít think itís a good idea because the MMA guys fight their asses off and they are straight all around fighters and we are boxers and that why itís called boxing and not fighting. The MMA guys can really fight and so can we, but thatís a different style all together and boxers that go into it could get seriously hurt.


[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you think that maybe Winky Wright, being a top pd 4 pd boxer in the world, might know a little more about this topic than you?
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #45
sprite
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "heart never got to develop cause he never saw the fight from the downside"
Posts: 129
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather to mma...this is BS right ?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR
Let's see what another one of boxing's top pd 4 pd fighters have to say on the matter.

Here is what Winky Wright says...

EL: This question is a little off topic, but I wanted to know your thoughts on professional boxers entering the K-1 Mixed Martial Arts tournaments? Butterbean and Frans Botha have fought already and neither fared too well and now Botha will challenge Bob Sapp in December.

WR: No, I don’t think it’s a good idea because the MMA guys fight their asses off and they are straight all around fighters and we are boxers and that why it’s called boxing and not fighting. The MMA guys can really fight and so can we, but that’s a different style all together and boxers that go into it could get seriously hurt.


[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you think that maybe Winky Wright, being a top pd 4 pd boxer in the world, might know a little more about this topic than you?
winky wright was never p4p number one

we are talking about pbf, who actually wants to fight mma
sprite is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013