Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
Tito Time
slayin um
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default ESPN Reports: Floyd mulling move to MMA...

Floyd Mayweather Jr., the world's No. 1 boxer, is strongly considering a revolutionary jump to mixed martial arts under a deal being discussed with Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.
Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's adviser and best friend, told ESPN.com Friday night that the five-division world champion, who generated 3.25 million pay-per-view buys and more than $200 million in revenue in two mega fights in 2007, came away from a Thursday meeting with Cuban giving serious thought to taking his game and considerable drawing power to MMA.

Mark Cuban on Floyd Mayweather's possible jump to MMA: "He wants to go on to the next big thing."

"It's definitely something he is interested in, and when Floyd makes his move, obviously it's going to be a mega event," Ellerbe said. "We don't have a timetable. Floyd is taking some time off, but Floyd understands what is involved. You have to take time to go out and understand what you're getting involved in, and he's ready to do that. But it's something he's definitely interested in doing.
"Mark Cuban is a very successful business man and has some very, very successful business ventures that we've discussed. We're looking to do a lot of business with Mark. He's a great guy, and we had a great meeting. Doing an MMA event with him is most definitely something we are looking at, among many things we are looking at doing with Mark Cuban."
Mayweather's interest in participating in an MMA event was sparked after he struck up a friendship with Cuban during their participation this season as contestants on the ABC reality series "Dancing with the Stars."
Cuban was Mayweather's guest at the fight and even carried two of his championship belts into the ring before he knocked out England's Ricky Hatton to retain the welterweight world championship Dec. 8 in Las Vegas.
Mayweather and Cuban were together again Thursday in Las Vegas, where they met to discuss various business ventures, including Mayweather participating in an MMA event.
A few boxers, such as former heavyweight contenders Ray Mercer and Frans Botha, have attempted to compete in mixed martial arts with little success. Mayweather's entrance would bring it to another level, especially at a time when the sports have been pitted against each other by fans and media -- MMA as the hotshot newcomer trying to overtake the century-old, more traditional sweet science.
One of Cuban's many business interests is ownership of HDNet Fights, a fledgling mixed martial arts promotional company whose bouts are aired on Cuban's HDNet. Cuban promoted his second event Dec. 15 in Dallas.
"Floyd is considering fighting with HDNet Fights," Cuban told ESPN.com. "We are going to let him visit some gyms to talk to some folks about what it would take to learn. He knows it won't be easy. But he is getting involved with MMA and HDNet Fights one way or another. He is pumped about it. He wants to go on to the next big thing. Floyd is a brilliant marketer. He follows the money."
Indeed, Mayweather, like Cuban, knows how to make money. Mayweather, 30, won the year's two biggest fights, a decision against Oscar De La Hoya in May in a fight that shattered all boxing revenue records and a 10th-round knockout of Hatton that did 850,000 buys and $47 million in television revenue on HBO PPV.
Mayweather-De La Hoya, with 2.4 million buys, set the all-time PPV record. Mayweather-Hatton was the biggest PPV fight in history not involving De La Hoya or heavyweights Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield.
Mayweather earned about $50 million for the two fights.
"If I said there's a guaranteed $30 million payday, Floyd would be lacing them up," Cuban said, optimistic that Mayweather would eventually participate in an MMA match. "If not, I could see him working to train and develop and invest in MMA fighters, knowing the upside. He can teach them how to be a better boxer and add to their other skills."
After each of his last three fights, Mayweather has talked about retirement or, at least, an extended break. Ellerbe said Mayweather is on vacation now but that when he returns, they'll discuss the prospect of an MMA bout in more detail.
"Floyd is about taking on challenges," Ellerbe said. "This ain't some kind of prank. That is one of many things we've talked about with Mark. Floyd would have to take time to really understand it, but it is most definitely something he is interested in."
Tito Time is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
djfonti
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 4885
Default Re: ESPN Reports: Floyd mulling move to MMA...

He'll never do it, in MMA you have to fight, something Floyd is petrified of.....
djfonti is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Quik
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yea and they can keep him
Quik is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
TFFP

vCash:

I don't know what we would have done without this thread

Quick, someone make a fourth

You can never have enough bullshit Floyd moving to MMA threads
Old 12-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
LeadLeftHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Floyd will get KTFO. He cant fight he can box but he cant fight especially in a completely different sport. Hows he going to defend against leg kicks arm and elbow locks? Shoulder roll!
LeadLeftHook is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
digiram
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

It ain't gonna happen. He's got brittle hands. Are they gonna make him and his oponnents wear boxing gloves??
digiram is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadLeftHook
Floyd will get KTFO. He cant fight he can box but he cant fight especially in a completely different sport. Hows he going to defend against leg kicks arm and elbow locks? Shoulder roll!

uuuh... learn...

mayweather is smart as hell and no matter what you guys THINK... he CAN fight. you dont become a p4p champion in boxing and undefeated, beating guys like hatton, castillo, corrales, chavez, hoya, ect, ect, ect if you cant FIGHT.

he CHOOSES to use his skills..... that doesnt mean he CANT fight.

to the point of this thread.... if he does this i dont know what i will think of him. This is a time where he should be helping boxing take back the face of combat sports like he HAS been doing this year. Its been mainly because of him and 24/7 that boxing is heading BACK to the mainstream this year.... he could build upon that.

He is a boxer.... not a grabber, holder, wrestler.... and hes not the best crossover fighter that we would have, meaning, i think guys like Wlad, Mormeck, Haye, JC, Williams, Pac, Rafa Marquez ect, would do better in mma for various reasons... to me they seem more NATURAL fighters as to where floyd relies heavily on his boxing skills and defense. obviously like i said he would learn quickly im sure but it wouldnt look good to have our #1 boxer go over and get beat no matter HOW close or to WHO.... the public and mma fans wouldnt care they would just use it as their platform.

also i hate mayweather giving mma any publicity at all... and leaving boxing... i just dont like the whole thing.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
G_RapPBF
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Lol. It would be funny to see Floyd knock out one of those journeyman MMA bums.
G_RapPBF is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #9
PRproud
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_RapPBF
Lol. It would be funny to see Floyd knock out one of those journeyman MMA bums.
It will be funny to see Floyd get hit with a knee or elbow in his face or get taken to the floor for summission,
PRproud is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
G_RapPBF
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRproud
It will be funny to see Floyd get hit with a knee or elbow in his face or get taken to the floor for summission,
Never happen. Too fast for journeyman fighters in a fringe sport.
G_RapPBF is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

Floyd is one guy that could actually hold his own for while b/c of his speed and balance. It is hard to get floyd to the ground unlike a typical boxer. He also can fight backing up. But if one of those clown ass MMA guys does that crazy pyscho tackle they do then I dont think floyd could hold his own with the grappling.
Toopretty is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

Why not let floyd make a mockery of MMA as well?

Its bad enough he doesnt face all the challenges in the sport of boxing? Why not let him talk a lot of shit, make a lot of money, and NEVER fight the top MMA guys

I ****ing HATE Floyd Mayweather JR. This guy is a clown of the highest magnitude. I mean when he should be looking to take two more fights and then continue PROMOTING BOXING which he has already chosen to do, he wants to TALK andFIGHT MMA??

This is pretty ****ing hilarious because Floyd is the ultimate BOXER, he's not a banger or inside fighter Insisde fighting and the ground game are at least 75% of MMA and suddenly he's game? Nah, I say he'll fleece MMA fans, just as he has done in Boxing. He'll become THE ULTIMATE TRAITOR in my eyes!! Why? Because he's not a boxer who's time is past and wants to try something different, he's an elite guy at the top of his game and after all the BS between the sports he wants to go there???

Floyd "Benedcit Arnold" Mayweather....GO F$%K YA SELF!!!
Please, GO AND STAY IN MMA!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
C Money is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #13
Big N Bad
Contender
ESB Senior Member

floyd is so talented that as long as he is not ignorant about what he is getting himself into then he can do well in mma. i can imagine him having explosive strikes, and being good at grappling. however im not too sure weather floyd is gonna enter mma, this may be a publicity stunt, only God knows.

the thing is, if he had the mentality of a proper fighter then he would be VERY good cos of his talent, however he doesnt really like to fight, so i wont buy this until the dotted lines get signed!
Big N Bad is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #14
Tito Time
slayin um
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
I don't know what we would have done without this thread

Quick, someone make a fourth

You can never have enough bullshit Floyd moving to MMA threads
you need twat.
Tito Time is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #15
G_RapPBF
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hey everyone! The dumbass who doesnt know shit about boxing his back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Money
Why not let floyd make a mockery of MMA as well?
Are you saying he made a mockery out of boxing? By making it its most profitable year in history?

Quote:
Its bad enough he doesnt face all the challenges in the sport of boxing?
6 belts. 5 weight classes . Something like 12 wins against former or current world champions. Wait what was that? Oh yeah Nuff Said.

Quote:
This is pretty ****ing hilarious because Floyd is the ultimate BOXER, he's not a banger or inside fighter
See now you just proved to everyone you dont know shit about Floyd Mayweather or boxing. BEcause if you did you'd know Floyd has an excellent inside game, as displayed against Hatton.

We know you hate him, thats what haters do, but just realize he will never lose little boy. So keep crying like that bitch Hatton.
G_RapPBF is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum