Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 11-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #46
Aquamarine
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Joseph Calzaghe the Greatest European Boxer of All Time?

As for fighters of recent years say the past 10-15 (my era) id say the best Euro fighters i personally have seen are:

-WK
-Calzaghe
-Tszyu
-Michalkzewski

Amateur:

Oleg Saitov, Lomachenko & Alexei Lezin (beat both Klitschkos, Valuev, Sam Peter etc!)

Papp is the greatest though.
Aquamarine is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2014, 04:31 AM   #47
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beouche View Post
discuss
Not even the greatest Welsh one!
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2014, 04:47 AM   #48
Stallion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
As for fighters of recent years say the past 10-15 (my era) id say the best Euro fighters i personally have seen are:

-WK
-Calzaghe
-Tszyu
-Michalkzewski

Amateur:

Oleg Saitov, Lomachenko & Alexei Lezin (beat both Klitschkos, Valuev, Sam Peter etc!)

Papp is the greatest though.
Well, there isn't such thing as "the greatest", but among the recent boxers in pro boxing, the Klitschko brothers have left the biggest impact in the sport without any question.

Also, the continental Europeans have never considered "Euro" and "British" to be the same thing, especially in boxing. Term "European" is usually refereed to the boxers from continental Europe, led by those with good amateur backgrounds especially from the ex communist countries. Also, many of the ex Soviet counties are actually a part of Asia, therefore their boxers compete in Asian championships and not European, yet they are often referred as "Euros" when it comes to pro boxing, which is pretty absurd.

So yeah, while speaking about the "European" boxers, technically the Britons/Irish should be included, although it's usually not the common case.
Stallion is online now  Top
Old 01-13-2014, 03:57 AM   #49
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_MacKenzie View Post
The greatest European boxer of all time might be Lazlo Papp.

His wiki:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laszlo_Papp[/ame]

There's an old man who posts on another site who travelled around the world watching/managing/promoting boxing for many years, and he says Papp was the best he's ever seen.
That settles it then.

mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2014, 03:59 AM   #50
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain hook View Post
what is britain then? africa?
" A small , far off country of which we know very little."
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #51
ribtickler68
Contender
ESB Senior Member

No.
ribtickler68 is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #52
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

he makes the top five welsh ones, that's really his yardstick if you are going by the title he carried.

possibly cracks the top 20 british but there are so many other brits who defended the major titles longer than him (he only made one defence).

not sure about euro, top 50 entry I expect.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #53
skier47
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Easily the best European and top 10 all time. Marvellous Marvin Hagler raved about Joe's skill set as did Chris Eubank. The guy is undefeated and beat Lacy, Hopkins, Kessler and Roy Jones Jr. consecutively towards the end of his career when his hands were ruined.
He is one of the greatest boxers to ever don boxing gloves and I am so grateful I saw his amazing career unfold.
skier47 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #54
I Know Everythi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Joe Calzaghe is overrated and has a padded record. All boxing fans with an ounce of knowledge know that Calzaghe is a mediocre fighter with a padded record. Being undefeated is not impressive when you fight in your backyard vs bums for 95% of your career. He wasn't trash, but he wasn't exactly good either. Let's look at his "noteworthy" career.

1) Chris Eubank - this is not a notable win. Eubank was in the end of his career and a shell of his former self. And on top of that, a prime Eubank didn't beat anyone other than Benn - a decent but not great boxer. And he ducked James Toney cuz he knew Toney would crush him.

2) Jeff Lacy - A washed up version of Roy Jones finished this guy. That shows how unimpressive this win is.

3) Sakio Bika - a belt holder with no notable wins.

4) Manfredo Jr - another easy win. Not impressive

5) Kessler - he beat Froch. Whoop de doo who has Froch beaten outside of a washed up Glen Johnson, and padded record Abraham and Bute? (who have never beaten anyone notable) Froch also got a gift from the ref vs Groves and the judges vs Dirrell. Froch's win over Pascal is not impressive because Pascal is nowhere near the same fighter anymore. And Jermain Taylor was a blind squirrel who stumbled across an acorn vs Bernard Hopkins, and did nothing since then. After his 15 minutes of fame Taylor disappeared quickly. So now that we established that Froch is overrated like his countryman Calzaghe, there are no notable wins on Kessler's resume either.

6) Roy Jones - of course when Calzaghe fights Roy Jones, Jones is a shell of his former self. Roy already got viciously KOd twice before this, and he was not anything close to resembling a world class fighter. And he still knocked down the overrated pillow-punching/slapping bum Calzaghe.

7) Bernard Hopkins - Calzaghe did not win that fight. He got gifted a decision. His father was screaming at him in the corner before the last round - telling him he needed a knockout. From the look on Calzaghe's face before the judges' announcement he knew he didn't deserve to win the fight. Then Calzaghe was extremely surprised and excited when he found out he got gifted the win he didn't earn. Calzaghe got whipped and knocked down by a 43 year old man. So much for Calzaghe being an all time great fighter. Is it coincidence that when a man with a padded record finally faced real competition that he had such a difficult time? No. It proves Calzaghe's incompetence as a wannabe top-level boxer.

I know certain sheep that are following the herd have prepared pitiful arguments to defend the mediocrity that is Calzaghe's career, and I will dismantle them here.

1) Calzaghe beat Hopkins legitimately - NO he didn't. Just like Oscar DLH in his fights vs Pernell and Floyd (in which Oscar clearly lost both times despite what the judges said), Calzaghe was the ineffective aggressor while his opponent was the more effective counterpuncher. Calzaghe threw pitter-patter slaps on Bernard's arms and shoulders, and complained about Hopkins faking a low blow (which he probably did) - while forgetting all the times he hit Bernard in the back of the head without being penalized. On no planet did Calzaghe win more than 6 rounds, and because of the knockdown from Bernard there is no way he legitimately won the fight.

2) Well on compubox Calzaghe outstruck Bernard - Compubox stats almost always are innacurate - even glancing blows or blows that completely miss can be counted on the punch stats as an effective shot, so if the compubox stats are your reasoning for Calzaghe's legitimacy then you are a fool. On top of that, matches are scored round by round - not based on who landed more overall shots.

3) Calzaghe is undefeated - Calzaghe fought 44 nobodies (including Eubank). The other 2 were a washed up past-prime RJJ and a 43 year old man that he lost to, but received a gift. It's not about the number of fights you win. It's about who you win against and how you win. Brian Nielsen was 49-0 at one point. Would you take Brian Nielsen over Muhammad Ali (56-5), Evander (44-10-2), etc? I would hope not. Undefeated doesn't necessarily mean good.

What has been written is IRREFUTABLE, UNDENIABLE, UNCONTESTABLE, INDISPUTABLE, UNQUESTIONABLE, flawless FACT. Not opinion or conjecture. Not even the fact that Bernard Hopkins legitimately won (but got robbed by the judges) is an opinion. Nor is it an opinion that Calzaghe is nothing close to an all time great fighter by any stretch of the imagination. I challenge any human being to try and disprove the mastery of wisdom that has been displayed. If someone can do so, I will respond to acknowledge their superior knowledge. Unfortunately for delusional Calzaghe fans, no one can refute the irrefutable. Therefore, the chances of receiving a response from me are negligible.

VEGAS don't know nothin. YOU don't know nothin. I KNOW EVERYTHING
I Know Everythi is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #55
I Know Everythi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

All of these European boxers are better than Calzaghe

Lennox
Kid Lewis
Schmeling
Wilde
Fitzsimmons
Benvenuti
McLarnin

and even the bums known as the Klitschkos have accomplished more than the bum Calzaghe
I Know Everythi is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2014, 02:53 AM   #56
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
That settles it then.

It could be a really, really old man, McVey; you don't know. Older than us even.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2014, 06:16 AM   #57
Claus Holmen
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain hook View Post
what is britain then? africa?
Or Canada !!
Claus Holmen is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #58
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
No, Jimmy Wilde is and it is not really close, unless we are calling Fitzy a Brit.

Outside of Britain and Ireland, in proper Europe (we in England, do not really consider ourselves European) I would say Carpentier edges Benvenuti...
Speak for yourself.

I'm from Ireland and we're European.

And regardless of your feelings on the matter, England is part of Europe too.
cuchulain is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #59
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
1. Lennox Lewis.

After this it's up for debate
Born in Jamaica.

Learned how to box in Canada.

He's about as European as Bute is Canadian.
cuchulain is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2014, 10:58 PM   #60
gmurphy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuchulain View Post
Born in Jamaica.

Learned how to box in Canada.

He's about as European as Bute is Canadian.
He was actually born in London to Jamacian parents and moved to Canada at 12. But ya your right I don't think Britain has any right to claim Lewis, his family history shows no English connection and he learned to box and won gold for Canada in the Olympics so anyone who claims his British are off there head
gmurphy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum