Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: How do you rate today's HW division fighters H2H with past Heavies?
As good or better than it ever was 31 15.98%
Good, but not the best 28 14.43%
About average 37 19.07%
Poor 61 31.44%
Abysmal 37 19.07%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #181
MaliBua
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Has the Heavyweight Division ever been this Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris View Post
Typical post from someone with no point to make. This era is awful.
MaliBua is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #182
Bubby
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscator View Post
I agree. And I look forward to run-downs of the remainder of the '70's and '90's. I hope you keep it up.
I will.
Bubby is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #183
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Lost of good young fighters:

Vyacheslav Glazkov
Kubrat Pulev
Robert Helenius
Magomed Abdusalamov
David Price
Mariuz Wach
Bogdan Dinu
Sergey Rozhnov
Denis Boytsov
Artur Szpilka
Michael Perez
Ondrej Pala
Edmund Gerber
Michael Wallisch
Seth Mitchell
Deontay Wilder
Luis Ortiz
Andrzej Wawrzyk
Tyson Fury
Alexander Ustinov
Richard Tower
Tor Hammer
Joe Hanks
David Rodriguez
Pianteta
Dereck Chisora
Dimentrenko

As well as:

Wladdy
Vitali
Haye
Adamek
Huck
Povetkin
Chagaev
Arreola

BUT THEY HAVE TO FIGHT EACH OTHER!
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #184
Bubby
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Let's start proving how good or bad todays division is...

Ring magazine's top ten of 2012:

Champion: Wladimir Klitschko, 35yo, 6'6", 243lbs, 81"reach, 56-3-0 record,
RING/IBF/WBO/IBO/WBA champion,

#1 Vitali Klitschko, 40yo, 6'7", 250lbs, 82"reach, 44-2-0 record,
WBC champion, never knocked down, never behind in a fight.

#2 Alexand Povetkin, 32yo, 6'2", 225lbs, 76"reach, 23-0-0 record,
has beaten two other fighters in the top ten.

#3 Tomasz Adamek, 35yo, 6'2" 216lbs, 76"reach, 44-2-0 record,
has beaten no other top ten fighters, former LHW/Cruiser champion.

#4 Eddie Chambers, 30yo, 6'1", 210lbs, 76"reach, 36-2-0 record,
only lost to two other top ten fighters.

#5 Alexander Dimitrernko, 29yo, 6'7", 255lbs, 83"reach, 32-1-0 record,
only lost to #4.

#6 Robert Helenius, 28yo, 6'6", 240lbs, 80"reach, 17-0-0 record,

#7 Denis Boytsov, 26yo, 6'1", 215lbs, 30-0-0 record,

#8 Rusland Chagaev, 33yo, 6'0", 225lbs, 74"reach, 28-2-1 record,
former champion, only lost to other top ten fighters.

#9 Chris Arreola, 30yo, 6'4", 245lbs, 77"reach, 35-2-0 record,
only lost to other top ten fighters.

#10 Kubrat Pulev, 30yo, 6'5", 250lbs, 15-0-0.

Now we can compare this top ten with past top ten's and see how good it actually is..
Let's move on to 2012 vs 1973.

Ring magazine's top 10 of 1973.

Champion: George Foreman. See my 1972 post.

#1 Muhammad Ali. See my 1972 post.

#2 Joe Frazier. Frazier had lost the world title to Foreman.

#3 Ken Norton, had split two fights with Ali, Ali was the only name on Norton's record at this point.

#4 Jerry Quarry, by 73 Jerry was on his way out, overweight, 209lbs by 73.

#5 Ron Lyle, had lost to Quarry and fought to a draw with L-heavyweight Gregorio Peralta in 73.

#6 Earnie Shavers, 28yo, 6'0", 210lbs, 34-1-0 record.
Shavers entered the top 10 in 73 with KO's over Jimmy Young and old Jimmy Eills, but was himself knocked out by Quarry also in 73.

#7 Oscar Bonavena. See my earlier posts on Bonavena.

#8 Joe Bugner. See my 72 post on Bugner.

#9 Jimmy Eills, old war horse by 73.

#10 Chuck Wepner 34yo, 6'5", 218lbs, 23-9-2 record.
Didn't know the meaning of the word "duck"..

Wepner proved the talent pool wasnt very deep in 73.
Bubby is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #185
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537

Bubby all that work to tell us F A.

What your doing is childlike. If someone were to ask why boxrec is a bad thing (which it isn't) then you would be a perfect example to use.

Putting a negative spin on nearly all the fighters from past era's as oppose to emphasizing the present day fighters unbeaten records and how many top ten men they been in with. How transparent do you wanna be!

If you have to state how many top 10 men current fighters have fought then that should tell you straight away there is something wrong. Top ten fighters getting it on nowadays is a rarity.

In the past an unbeaten record wasn't the be all and end all and 99% of top fighters back then didn't have padded records. Even the also-rans and fighters with losing records had to earn their stripes more than their modern-day counterparts. Something that goes over the heads of boxrec junkies like yourself.

Personally i think we are now entering a new era which is shaping up nice, but time will tell.
If your talking about the era that followed Lewis' reign then that is the worst in history bar none.

Until these guys and/or their promoters have the balls to fight men in and around them before getting an undeserved title fight, then the division will always be weaker now than in days gone by.

Bubby don't forget people is the one who said Danny Williams is like a modern day George Foreman! Amongst many other idiotic statements.
Don't be fooled because bubby has the mental capacity to sit there and copy stuff from boxrec. It's not hard really is it. Type of thing we all done back in school when our home work was late.

Last edited by Threetime no1; 02-27-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #186
Bubby
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetime no1 View Post

What your doing is childlike. If someone were to ask why boxrec is a bad thing (which it isn't) then you would be a perfect example to use.

Putting a negative spin on nearly all the fighters from past era's as oppose to emphasizing the present day fighters unbeaten records and how many top ten men they been in with. How transparent do you wanna be!

If you have to state how many top 10 men current fighters have fought then that should tell you straight away there is something wrong. Top ten fighters getting it on nowadays is a rarity.

In the past an unbeaten record wasn't the be all and end all and 99% of top fighters back then didn't have padded records. Even the also-rans and fighters with losing records had to earn their stripes more than their modern-day counterparts. Something that goes over the heads of boxrec junkies like yourself.

Personally i think we are now entering a new era which is shaping up nice, but time will tell.
If your talking about the era that preceded Lewis' reign then that is the worst in history bar none.

Until these guys and/or their promoters have the balls to fight men in and around them before getting an undeserved title fight, then the division will always be weaker now than in days gone by.

Bubby don't forget people is the one who said Danny Williams is like a modern day George Foreman! Amongst many other idiotic statements.
Don't be fooled because bubby has the mental capacity to sit there and copy stuff from boxrec. It's not hard really is it. Type of thing we all done back in school when our home work was late.
I'm not putting a negative spin on anything. A negative spin would be pointing out that Shavers was KO'd in only 29 seconds by over-the-hill, overweight, Quarry.
That would be a negative spin. I think I'm being very fair to both sides..
Bubby is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #187
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'm not putting a negative spin on anything. A negative spin would be pointing out that Shavers was KO'd in only 29 seconds by over-the-hill, overweight, Quarry.
That would be a negative spin. I think I'm being very fair to both sides..

Hardly.

For example why not point out Wlad getting molested by semi-retired golfer Sanders in 2.
Or that Dimitrenko, Pulev, Boystov and Helenius are all unbeaten or thereabouts but ain't done nothing of note as yet and are still unproven quantities.

That would seem fairer. You know to balance out things like one-eyed Frazier and Chuck 'forgot to duck' Wepner.

You have some comedic quality bubby and that little blonde in your avvy is cute, but really you should learn about the sport and not dismiss the past just because you love the modern era.

Because regardless of how you percieve it boxing was better as a whole in the past. And the fighters in general where cut from a different cloth and had to work harder to earn their crust.

Last edited by Threetime no1; 02-26-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #188
Bubby
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Hardly.

For example why not point out Wlad getting molested by semi-retired golfer Sanders in 2.
Or that Dimitrenko, Pulev, Boystov and Helenius are all unbeaten or thereabouts but ain't done nothing of note as yet and are still unproven quantities.

That would seem fairer. You know to balance out things like one-eyed Frazier and Chuck 'forgot to duck' Wepner.

You have some comedic quality bubby and that little blonde in your avvy is cute, but really you should learn about the sport and not dismiss the past just because you love the modern era.

Because regardless of how you percieve it boxing was better as a whole in the past. And the fighters in general where cut from a different cloth and had to work harder to earn their crust.
You clearly want only fairness! I could also point out that Frazier was down twice vs Bonavena whos best win was over an actor-turned pro wrestler-turned pro boxer. The fact is you admitted you only liked black fighters some time ago. So you opinion is not worth nothing....Btw, the part about Wepner not knowing how to duck was from two sports writers in the 70s, not me.
Bubby is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #189
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You clearly want only fairness! I could also point out that Frazier was down twice vs Bonavena whos best win was over an actor-turned pro wrestler-turned pro boxer. The fact is you admitted you only liked black fighters some time ago. So you opinion is not worth nothing....Btw, the part about Wepner not knowing how to duck was from two sports writers in the 70s, not me.

When did i admit the 'fact' that some time ago i only like black fighters?!?

Bubby that is slanderous! You do know i'm white right? And that my two favourite fighters at the moment are actually white.

Has for the Wepner thing it doesn't matter who it came from it is still comedic and you still included it, yet you never included anything similar for the modern era fighters.

Bubby my little sugar plum like i said you're too transparent and i was merely mentioning Wlad's defeat to point out the error of your ways.

I give you a balanced argument and you can only hang on what i said about Wlad and Wepner.

I'll see what shite you come out with when the Klitschko's retire, but until then you are just a nuthugger and a troll who's sole purpose on here is to bash anything that isn't related to a Klitschko.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #190
Uncle Roger
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1877

Quote:
I still don't understand why you and all the other Klitschko fanboys have something against white people liking/idolizing black fighters? You also keep saying that people only like black boxers too, which is bluntly idiotic and racist
Uncle Roger is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #191
Bubby
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Roger View Post
I still don't understand why you and all the other Klitschko fanboys have something against white people liking/idolizing black fighters? You also keep saying that people only like black boxers too, which is bluntly idiotic and racist
If I had anything against people who liked black fighters I would hate myself!
But when a poster like "ThreeTime" who posted once before that he only liked black fighters starts running down the Klitschkos and other Euro fighters you know he has an aganda.....
Bubby is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #192
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
If I had anything against people who liked black fighters I would hate myself!
But when a poster like "ThreeTime" who posted once before that he only liked black fighters starts running down the Klitschkos and other Euro fighters you know he has an aganda.....

Obviously you think you've got something on me because you've now stated this 'lie' twice. If you think you got something let's see it.

Are you hurt because i reminded everyone of your Danny Williams/George Foreman comparison.

And "starts running down the Klitschko's and other euro fighters". You see bubby it's the 'running down' bit that gives things a nasty tone.

Last edited by Threetime no1; 02-26-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #193
Bubby
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Let's start proving how good or bad todays division is...

Ring magazine's top ten of 2012:

Champion: Wladimir Klitschko, 35yo, 6'6", 243lbs, 81"reach, 56-3-0 record,
RING/IBF/WBO/IBO/WBA champion,

#1 Vitali Klitschko, 40yo, 6'7", 250lbs, 82"reach, 44-2-0 record,
WBC champion, never knocked down, never behind in a fight.

#2 Alexand Povetkin, 32yo, 6'2", 225lbs, 76"reach, 23-0-0 record,
has beaten two other fighters in the top ten.

#3 Tomasz Adamek, 35yo, 6'2" 216lbs, 76"reach, 44-2-0 record,
has beaten no other top ten fighters, former LHW/Cruiser champion.

#4 Eddie Chambers, 30yo, 6'1", 210lbs, 76"reach, 36-2-0 record,
only lost to two other top ten fighters.

#5 Alexander Dimitrernko, 29yo, 6'7", 255lbs, 83"reach, 32-1-0 record,
only lost to #4.

#6 Robert Helenius, 28yo, 6'6", 240lbs, 80"reach, 17-0-0 record,

#7 Denis Boytsov, 26yo, 6'1", 215lbs, 30-0-0 record,

#8 Rusland Chagaev, 33yo, 6'0", 225lbs, 74"reach, 28-2-1 record,
former champion, only lost to other top ten fighters.

#9 Chris Arreola, 30yo, 6'4", 245lbs, 77"reach, 35-2-0 record,
only lost to other top ten fighters.

#10 Kubrat Pulev, 30yo, 6'5", 250lbs, 15-0-0.

Now we can compare this top ten with past top ten's and see how good it actually is..
Ok, now we can move on from 1973 to 74

Ring magazine's top ten from 1974

Champion: Muhammad Ali,

#1 George Foreman.

#2 Joe Frazier. would have only three fights after 74.

#3 Ron lyle.

#4 Oscar Bonavena, Bonavena would have only two more fights after 74.

#5 Joe Bugner, see my eralier post.

#6 Ken Norton, Norton fell from #3 in 73 down to #6 in 74.

#7 Jerry Quarry, very end of his career.

#8 Chuck Wepner, see my 73 post.

#9 Henry Clark, 30yo, 6'3", 215lbs, 32-8-3 record.
Clark had been around for 10 years, but this was the first time he made the ring. Clark replaced Jimmy Eills. Henry never beat a top fighter.

#10 Larry Middleton, 6'5", 209lbs, 21-5-2 record.
Middleton replaced Ernie Shavers, a very poor contender.

It was really down hill from here for the 70's era. As you will see...
Bubby is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #194
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Quote:

If your talking about the era that preceded Lewis' reign then that is the worst in history bar none.

Good post overall m8, But wtf do you mean by teh part I highlighted?!

Here is teh Ring Mag heavyweight top 10 of 1998 -

Title Vacant
  1. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  2. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  3. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  4. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  5. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  6. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  7. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  8. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  9. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  10. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
It was a v.strong era before Lenny Lewis's reign, NOT weak at all.

Foreman HoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooK!
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #195
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman Hook View Post
Good post overall m8, But wtf do you mean by teh part I highlighted?!

Here is teh Ring Mag heavyweight top 10 of 1998 -

Title Vacant
  1. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  2. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  3. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  4. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  5. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  6. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  7. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  8. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  9. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
  10. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
It was a v.strong era before Lenny Lewis's reign, NOT weak at all.

Foreman HoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooK!

That's tiredness after a night on the beer FH. My english let me down there. I've edited it with 'followed' now, thanks for pointing it out.

So yeah i meant post-2003 and of course before '98 was a strong era, quite possibly the second strongest in history.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum