Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #31
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Virgil Hunter on changes for Amir Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
I'll reserve judgement until he's hit with a hard shot.

Then we'll see how he reacts.
He'll always be slightly shakey i think, what we should look to see is better ring generalship, the ability to read a fight whilst in it (ie Garcia looking for the same punch from the start and Khan not ad******g to that) and changing gears (as Slip said curve balls and that).
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #32
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darni187 View Post
Stop picking on me
I'm not, I am mystified as always, how you have this unquestioned loyalty to a fighter? When the fighter in question is a arrogant overrated dick.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #33
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathmanc1986 View Post
He'll always be slightly shakey i think, what we should look to see is better ring generalship, the ability to read a fight whilst in it (ie Garcia looking for the same punch from the start and Khan not ad******g to that) and changing gears (as Slip said curve balls and that).
Yeah, he always be weak for definite.

What you'd like to see is him not wanting to bang his way out of trouble whenever he's caught.

He obviously watched Nigel Benn vs Anthony Logan too many times and thought that he could do the same.

It's definitely ring generalship like you say, from very early on there were left hooks galore whizzing past his chin - doesn't take a genius to think ''shit, better tighten up here'' - or at least it shouldn't do.

Nothing wrong with hanging on for dear life - Hatton basically took Urango for a dance for 8 rounds.... probably should have been disqualified but played within whatever rules the referee set him on the night.

Khan just runs away, but it's a small world in there
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #34
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Hunter is the real deal and the perfect guy for Khan. But it's probabily too late for any significant improvements. Khan's flaws are just too ingrained at this point and he doesn't have the boxing IQ to change much.

Like i always say. No matter where you go, you are what you are player. And you can try to change but that's just the top layer.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #35
Darni187
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
I'm not, I am mystified as always, how you have this unquestioned loyalty to a fighter? When the fighter in question is a arrogant overrated dick.
I agree with you, but in boxing terms I still think he can improve and you learn from your mistakes, I agree Khan outside the ring is somewhat a dick and I am happy in a sense Garcia humbled him, let's see if he learns and improves from that.
Darni187 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #36
Darni187
Champion
East Side Guru

As Hunter states Khan problems are not of a physical nature more of a mental issue, over time mentality can change.
Darni187 is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #37
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

I think he's bang on when he says Khan just needs to be better mentally.

He's got all the physical attributes, just the mental stuff he needs to sort out. He runs out of ideas during fights when things aren't going his way and he proved against Garcia that he can let opponents get inside his head and affect him.

He just needs to grow a thicker skin and smarten himself up instead of just acting like a kid.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #38
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Right, so Freddie Roach was the one who was going to turn Khan into a world beater, iron out his flaws, put some meat on him so he can takes shots, etc, etc. Despite all this, Khan still reverts to type and gets stopped.

So now it seems Roach wasn't suitable after all and now it's somebody else's turn and it's all psychological, apparently.

I envisage a few more stoppage losses and a few more trainers before Khan's career is through.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #39
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole View Post
Right, so Freddie Roach was the one who was going to turn Khan into a world beater, iron out his flaws, put some meat on him so he can takes shots, etc, etc. Despite all this, Khan still reverts to type and gets stopped.

So now it seems Roach wasn't suitable after all and now it's somebody else's turn and it's all psychological, apparently.

I envisage a few more stoppage losses and a few more trainers before Khan's career is through.
i agree, hunter is talking about making khan a more intelligent fighter using his brain more but that will only take him so far, he is thick as pig shit so cant see hunter doing any good with him
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #40
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Hunter is the real deal and the perfect guy for Khan. But it's probabily too late for any significant improvements. Khan's flaws are just too ingrained at this point and he doesn't have the boxing IQ to change much.

Like i always say. No matter where you go, you are what you are player. And you can try to change but that's just the top layer.
Come on, Slip. Did you really think that would go unnoticed?
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #41
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
Glad I've given you a laugh Rico but I don't think I'm a troll, I came here with good intentions but because I was a little critical of Hickey's recycled thread he launched a vicious attack on me (on the first page of this thread you can see he tells me to "f*ck off" and calls me a "c*nt") rather then come down to his level and hurl similar abuse back at him I chose to start a thread mocking his inability to start new threads (it's a sore point with Hickey)

If anyone's a troll it's Hickey, he's been posting rubbish for years (hence the fact his thread starting rights were removed from him)
Cool

Which former poster are you, anyway?
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #42
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Come on, Slip. Did you really think that would go unnoticed?
It's a public service annoucement, Rico. Only time you'll see me quoting Jay-Z. lol
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #43
Boxalot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

It's always been accepted (untill his last 2 fights) that Roach was absolutely perfect for Khan's style of fighting, but i'm not so sure. He's almost perfect for him from a physical standpoint, but not from a mental one imo. Roach has said before "i think every fight should end in a knockout". That's a quote, word for word. He always sent Khan out to engage and to win via stoppage, which is extremely dangerous for someone as physically vulnerable as Amir.

Offensively, he's a beast, an absolute beast. He'll need to sacrifice some of that offensive output if he wants to be successful though , and Virgil is a very good fit for him imo. Hunter is saying all the right things for me, and he doesn't seem to be ignorant to Amir's flaws (he said that Amir hasn't got a poor chin, but he can't exactly come out and say it, can he? That'd be pretty damning for Amir and destroy his confidence) which is encouraging.

Rather than burying their heads in the sand like Roach did, they need to be addressed and a number of them are clear. He clearly lacks the ability to make adjustments on his own because, basically, he's thick as shit. He has zero inside game, lacks physical strength, hasn't got a clue what to do when he's hurt and cannot adapt whatsoever. All of these things can be addressed, although physical functional strength will take time to increase. Also, the mental aspects i've mentioned (learning what to do when hurt, how to adapt etc) can only be put into practice when he's put into that situation, so whilst it's important not to match him too tough and completely destroy him, they need to match him well enough where he's put into challenging situations. There's a very fine line between the two scenario's and i'm not sure they'll get it right.
Boxalot is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #44
Carnage
KingFroch
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2556

Do you people actually think that Virgin Hunting can change Khan?? We look at Hunters fighters he's trained and all we see is Ward. We miss fighters like Angulo, who has shocking defence. Unless Khan can completely transform his defence, start bobbing and weaving etc. he won't improve, that chin is just too suspect.

What Khan really needs to do if he wants to succeed is become a boring fighter. Fight a fight like he did against Kotelnik. I think Khan's in a lose-lose situation here. Either he does this (becomes boring) and loses fans as they like his explosive style or carries on and gets ko'd again, again resulting in a loss of fans.

I just think with his chin, he has no chance of competing at a high level for an extended period of time.
Carnage is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum