Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Gooners2
Archie Solis
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Did anyone think Herol Graham did enough to beat McCallum......

Did anyone think Herol Graham did enough to beat McCallum...... I watched the fight again today and without scoring it just seemed to me Herol Graham was being more consistent throughout the fight, although I didn't score it so I aint gonna say Herol won, but what your thoughts?
Gooners2 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did anyone think Herol Graham did enough to beat McCallum......

Yeah I had Graham winning at the time and have had him winning since, even with the point deducement. First six rounds he befuddled Mike.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Gooners2
Archie Solis
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Yeah I had Graham winning at the time and have had him winning since, even with the point deducement. First six rounds he befuddled Mike.
Yeah that's kind of what I saw.
Gooners2 is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

You know the score, Atberry. Scorecards bro, scorecards.

I had Mike winning by two IIRC. Could see a draw though. I thought the deduction which was harsh was key. Graham put up a great courageous effort, although he showboated a little too much. But McCallum edged it for me.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

I had McCallum by 1. If there was a fight to prove Herol's H2H brilliance though, this was it. Long time since I've watched it.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

There was a few swing rounds. And in round 5 the ref called a knockdown on McCallum which wasn't (clearly a slip) IIRC the judges didn't score the KD on their cards.

Graham
Graham (very close)
McCallum
Graham
Graham (BS KD called by the ref but judges didn't score)
McCallum (Very close)
McCallum (very close)
McCallum ( BS point deduction from Graham in a close round)
McCallum
McCallum
McCallum
Graham (very close)

Had it something like that. McCallum won at least 7 rounds for me. I think i may have even been too generous to Graham in giving him the last round. Will need to rewatch.

Last edited by slip&counter; 12-27-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I just ordered the Mike Mccallum career set. When I get it ill give this fight a watch a post my scorecard
sportofkings is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Gooners2
Archie Solis
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
There was a few swing rounds. And in round 5 the ref called a knockdown on McCallum which wasn't (clearly a slip) IIRC the judges didn't score the KD on their cards.

Graham
Graham
McCallum
Graham
Graham (BS KD called by the ref but judges didn't score)
McCallum (Very close)
McCallum (very close)
McCallum ( BS point deduction from Graham in a close round)
McCallum
McCallum
McCallum
Graham (very close)

Had it something like that.

Your card has me thinking Graham actually might of won then. I scored the first 6 rounds in my head and had them the same as you, only whilst I did't keep track in the mid to late part of the fight, I do think Graham won more than 1 round.

The KD was squared up by the fact Graham had a point taken if I recall.
Gooners2 is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

I will have to watch to post any feedback, two brilliant technicians though i hope this thread gets feedback it deserves.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooners2 View Post
Your card has me thinking Graham actually might of won then. I scored the first 6 rounds in my head and had them the same as you, only whilst I did't keep track in the mid to late part of the fight, I do think Graham won more than 1 round.

The KD was squared up by the fact Graham had a point taken if I recall.
I think you found it hard to keep track of it simply because some of the rounds were very hard to score and closely contested. Could give a couple even, but i try not to give even rounds if i can help it. Always try and find a winner in a round.

Round 2 (where McCallum seemingly lands more effective punches to the body and a double lead right hand rocking Grahams head back) 6 (fought mostly on the inside with Herol up against the ropes) and 7 were VERY close. After that i think McCallum sweeps it till the 12th which is very close again. Those rounds could go either way, but i think McCallum was more effective especially on the inside. And his body work was MUCH better and perhaps overlooked.

It was a long time since i watched it so may need to refresh my memory with another viewing.

Last edited by slip&counter; 12-27-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

1- Graham
You will rarely see a guy beat Mike McCallum with his hands down the entire round, but Graham is one of them.

2- Graham
McCallum has a good but brief spell in the middle of the round, but other than that it's pretty much all Graham.

3- Even
Round fought on even terms until McCallum stuns Graham and comes on strong. Graham though comes back at the end of the round to even things up again.

4- Graham
Graham is too slippery for McCallum during most of the round and works the up-jab beautifully. He also lands some big uppercuts in the second half of the the round. McCallum is competitive throughout however. He slips well, works the body, catches Graham with his hands down from time to time.

5- Graham
Superb allaround boxing from Graham this round. Didn't count the knockdown (ruled by the ref) since it was actually a slip and the judges didn't count it either.

6- Graham
The infighting that took place during most of the round was pretty much even, but when separation was forced I had Graham as a pretty clear superior. McCallum may have slightly edged the infighting however, I think he landed more just not as big. Very hard round to score.

7- Graham
Graham clearly outpointed McCallum during the round but got caught once with a big punch. It didn't really hurt him, though.

8- Even (10-9 McCallum)
A very close round but Graham loses a point for throwing McCallum for a 3rd time.

9- McCallum
Great competitive round, but McCallum lands bigger, lands more, and controls the ring.

10- McCallum
Another great round. Both fighters are fighting on pure instinct, but Graham appears the most tired and takes the most punishment. It's a crying shame that Graham lacked stamina in his career...

11- McCallum
Graham employs very effective defense, but is mostly just running and holding at this point, no longer scoring.

12- Graham
Graham showed a lot of heart this round, gave it every last bit of energy he had and squeeked it out. McCallum did the chasing but he struggled to land and ended up walking into a lot of Graham's punches. McCallum also didn't defend well against Graham's sporadic offensive energy bursts.

Herol's fight for me.

No commentary BBC mess-up there. Also no American TV - they chose Benn-Watson, instead.

Last edited by atberry; 12-27-2011 at 09:31 PM.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

What i most remember from the fight is Herol not fighting his usual fight in spots and getting cought MUCH more then he did previously. McCallum wore him down to the body, which effected Herol in the mid to late rounds.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
Gooners2
Archie Solis
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
1- Graham
You will rarely see a guy beat Mike McCallum with his hands down the entire round, but Graham is one of them.

2- Graham
McCallum has a good but brief spell in the middle of the round, but other than that it's pretty much all Graham.

3- Even
Round fought on even terms until McCallum stuns Graham and comes on strong. Graham though comes back at the end of the round to even things up again.

4- Graham
Graham is too slippery for McCallum during most of the round and works the up-jab beautifully. He also lands some big uppercuts in the second half of the the round. McCallum is competitive throughout however. He slips well, works the body, catches Graham with his hands down from time to time.

5- Graham
Superb allaround boxing from Graham this round. Didn’t count the knockdown (ruled by the ref) since it was actually a slip and the judges didn't count it either.

6- Graham
The infighting that took place during most of the round was pretty much even, but when separation was forced I had Graham as a pretty clear superior. McCallum may have slightly edged the infighting however, I think he landed more just not as big. Very hard round to score.

7- Graham
Graham clearly out pointed McCallum during the round but got caught once with a big punch. It didn't really hurt him, though.

8- Even (10-9 McCallum)
A very close round but Graham loses a point for throwing McCallum for a 3rd time.

9- McCallum
Great competitive round, but McCallum lands bigger, lands more, and controls the ring.

10- McCallum
Another great round. Both fighters are fighting on pure instinct, but Graham appears the most tired and takes the most punishment. It's a crying shame that Graham lacked stamina in his career...

11- McCallum
Graham employs very effective defense, but is mostly just running and holding at this point, no longer scoring.

12- Graham
Graham showed a lot of heart this round, gave it every last bit of energy he had and squeeked it out. McCallum did the chasing but he struggled to land and ended up walking into a lot of Graham's punches. McCallum also didn't defend well against Graham's sporadic offensive energy bursts.

Herol's fight for me.

No commentary BBC mess-up there. Also no American TV - they chose Benn-Watson, instead.

I personally thought that was part in the fight where McCallum hurt him. Where his legs weren't complete under him imo. Cant remember which round it was in.
Gooners2 is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
Gooners2
Archie Solis
ESB Full Member

1.52 I thought Graham was momentarily hurt here. His legs didn't seem to be completely under him. Its a difficult to see because of how grainy the video is but....

McCallum seems to catch him again toward the end of that round just when you think he's starting to get his legs back. He's being aggressive but its almost foolhardy cause he knows he's a little hurt
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt2IIu7J-84&feature=related[/ame]
Gooners2 is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Just watching round 12 again. I think it's a McCallum round. Herol hardly does anything. Mike definitely lands the more effective cleaner punches. Counter left hooks and straight rights. Herol was gassed from the body shots. I think people give Herol the benefit of the doubt in the close rounds because of who he is and people slightly feel for him, so they end up giving him more credit.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum