Old 12-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #31
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rank the p4p top 5 in MMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
Dude he has dominated Faber, beat up Hominick (although appeared to gas in the last round), and clearly beat Florian (although in a boring fight where he didn't do much).

You have Edgar above him, who arguably lost the first fight to Penn, and the rematch to Maynard. Even if you score those for Edgar as the judges did, his performances weren't better than Aldo's vs Florian and Hominick.

Also Henderson isn't even the best in his weightclass, or the weightclass he came from where he lost clearly to Shields and got beat up by Anderson. I think the fight with Shogun could've been a draw, a fight in which he barely survived the last round spending most of the time mounted.
Both Henderson and Edgar are competing successfully against FAR, FAR, FAR better fighters than Aldo is. If Hendo and Edgar were fighting guys the calibre of Hominick and Florian rather than fighting guys like Shogun and Penn, Hendo and Edgar would look better than Aldo is looking.

Standard of opposition is of critical importance, and you seem to be completely overlooking this. I have overlooked it to a certain extent with Cruz, but IMO he looks much more impressive and complete than Aldo has of late. JMHO.
Popkins is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #32
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Both Henderson and Edgar are competing successfully against FAR, FAR, FAR better fighters than Aldo is. If Hendo and Edgar were fighting guys the calibre of Hominick and Florian rather than fighting guys like Shogun and Penn, Hendo and Edgar would look better than Aldo is looking.

Standard of opposition is of critical importance, and you seem to be completely overlooking this. I have overlooked it to a certain extent with Cruz, but IMO he looks much more impressive and complete than Aldo has of late. JMHO.
Good point.

However I don't agree with Hendersons loss to Shields. Shields is an elite fighter, yes. But style wise, he should not be an elite challenge for Henderson. I think he is a perfect matchup for Henderson actually...and Henderson basically got dominated. I think Hominick and Florian are harder style matchups for Aldo, than Shields is for Henderson. Simply because Shields is dogshit on his feet, where Hendo is most dangerous and also Henderson has an extremely strong wrestling base to defend takedowns so he could keep it standing. He failed there.
BewareofDawg is online now  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #33
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Good point.

However I don't agree with Hendersons loss to Shields. Shields is an elite fighter, yes. But style wise, he should not be an elite challenge for Henderson. I think he is a perfect matchup for Henderson actually...and Henderson basically got dominated. I think Hominick and Florian are harder style matchups for Aldo, than Shields is for Henderson. Simply because Shields is dogshit on his feet, where Hendo is most dangerous and also Henderson has an extremely strong wrestling base to defend takedowns so he could keep it standing. He failed there.
Come on man. Hendo was weight-drained to **** against Shields. Why do you think he has never fought at 185 since? Hendo could make that weight easy when he was younger, but at 40 years old it's a different ballgame (see Bernard Hopkins, boxing's equivalent, who moved from 160 to 175 at 40, skipping over the 168 division). Hendo looks comfortable and strong now at 205 in a way he just didn't vs Shields, this much was obvious from the fight.

You force Aldo to boil himself down to 135, you'll see a lesser fighter... and Aldo ain't battling Father Time as well.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #34
HENDO
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Gsp isn't in the top 5. He's scared of Diaz and Anderson. Pretty soon the entire top 5 will be all black.
HENDO is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #35
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HENDO View Post
Gsp isn't in the top 5. He's scared of Diaz and Anderson. Pretty soon the entire top 5 will be all black.
Three sentences = Three fails.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #36
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Dan Henderson.
Jose Aldo.
Frankie Edgar.
Dominick Cruz
Gilbert Melendez.

That is actually just me starting at #3 on my P4P list.

Anderson and GSP are 1 and 2.
afterglow is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #37
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Come on man. Hendo was weight-drained to **** against Shields. Why do you think he has never fought at 185 since? Hendo could make that weight easy when he was younger, but at 40 years old it's a different ballgame (see Bernard Hopkins, boxing's equivalent, who moved from 160 to 175 at 40, skipping over the 168 division). Hendo looks comfortable and strong now at 205 in a way he just didn't vs Shields, this much was obvious from the fight.

You force Aldo to boil himself down to 135, you'll see a lesser fighter... and Aldo ain't battling Father Time as well.
I don't know dude, he lost to Rampage as well. I'm also of the opinion that Fedor would TKO him in a rematch, and Shogun would beat also. I know he's on a good run, and don't have a problem with you rating him high, but I just can't see putting him above Jose Aldo.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #38
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterglow View Post
Dan Henderson.
Jose Aldo.
Frankie Edgar.
Dominick Cruz
Gilbert Melendez.

That is actually just me starting at #3 on my P4P list.

Anderson and GSP are 1 and 2.
You have Henderson at #3 and Jones not even top #7? You have seen how they performed against common opponents Shogun and Rampage right? Don't use the style makes fights excuse because those two basically cover all styles of MMA.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #39
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Dan Henderson
GSP
Frankie Edgar
Jose Aldo
Nick Diaz
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #40
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
You have Henderson at #3 and Jones not even top #7? You have seen how they performed against common opponents Shogun and Rampage right? Don't use the style makes fights excuse because those two basically cover all styles of MMA.
Jones isn't there because he doesn't belong their due to his physical advantages.

Jones is a HW with possibly the longest reach in MMA, and is fighting at LHW.

A few months ago Dan, who is a MW, went up to HW and beat a top ten within a round.

Dan fights at his walk around weight at LHW, Jones is a much larger than his opponants.

He may not bloat up to 250 like Page's fat ass, but he is bigger than everyone he faces, yet Dan rarely is.

Edgar doesn't cut any weight and beat the best LW ever two times in a row.

Aldo has cleaned out his division with ease for the most part other than gassing, but that is mostly due to the cut, not him getting beaten up.

Jones dominates people because of his height and reach. And that is not what P4P is about at all. Infact he is the opposite of what it is.

Anderson has beaten everyone in his weightclass and even moved up two times.

GSP has dominated his class with easy for several years.

And i've already spoke on the other two.

It's just common sense to look past the hype and see that Jones is winning because he won the dinosaur arms lottery.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #41
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Quote:
Jones isn't there because he doesn't belong their due to his physical advantages.

Jones is a HW with possibly the longest reach in MMA, and is fighting at LHW.

A few months ago Dan, who is a MW, went up to HW and beat a top ten within a round.

Dan fights at his walk around weight at LHW, Jones is a much larger than his opponants.

He may not bloat up to 250 like Page's fat ass, but he is bigger than everyone he faces, yet Dan rarely is.

Edgar doesn't cut any weight and beat the best LW ever two times in a row.

Aldo has cleaned out his division with ease for the most part other than gassing, but that is mostly due to the cut, not him getting beaten up.

Jones dominates people because of his height and reach. And that is not what P4P is about at all. Infact he is the opposite of what it is.

Anderson has beaten everyone in his weightclass and even moved up two times.

GSP has dominated his class with easy for several years.

And i've already spoke on the other two.

It's just common sense to look past the hype and see that Jones is winning because he won the dinosaur arms lottery.
Thats one of the most stupid things I've ever heard. You are a moron.

Thats like saying Anderson Silva shouldn't be in the top ten because he's to naturally gifted and it isn't fair.

And reach isn't everything, how come this man isn't dominating?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #42
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Wrestling is the best base in MMA, and Jones is a good wrestler. But without those advantages, he would just be a good wrestler not a top guy IMO.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #43
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Quote:
Wrestling is the best base in MMA, and Jones is a good wrestler. But without those advantages, he would just be a good wrestler not a top guy IMO.
Sure, whatever you think buddy
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #44
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Silva
Jones..

Cruz
Edgar
Aldo

*GSP is ****ed up, and has something to prove during his comeback which won't be anytime soon.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #45
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

afterglow - you cant say that about Jobby Jones yet at the same time have Anderson as your top 1 or 2

Anderson is naturally a LHW who cuts to beat up midgets

Anderson shouldnt be fighting at mw. JBJ should move up soon. And thats cause they are too big and far too dominant where they are. But both are top 3 p4p for sure
Beouche is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum