Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Hughes has NO chance

Seriously, lets look at this objectively, Hughes has zero chance of winning this fight with the frenchie.

Frenchie has vastly superior striking,has pinpoint accuracy, great hands and kicks. Hughes has terrible striking, he just flails his arms around has zero technique at all. He doesn't have power in his punches either to test GSP's questionable chin. Hughes also has bad defence, while GSP has a good one against punches.

Hughes has great wrestling but I think with his fights with Koscheck and with Hughes himself, GSP is now equal to Hughes and CANNOT be taken down. I fully expect GSP to avoid all takedowns and even outwrestle Hughes.

I can't really say much about their Jiu Jitsu, maybe theiy're about even, I doubt Hughes can be that much better than GSP to help him during the fight.

GSP is stronger, faster more well rounded.........everything Hughes has, GSP does better or is at least equal.

It's a mismatch really. Matt Hughes will be brutally crushed barring a complete miracle.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Default Re: Hughes has NO chance

Negative.These guys are 1 and 1 rightfully. GSP`s loss to Serra will be playing on his mind and Hughes knows that GSP can be hurt and quite easily providing he can land on the button. GSP is an exceptional striker but he was found out quite surprisingly by Serra.

The problem here is literally ANYTHING can happen.Naturally Hughes is the underdog but his a very live underdog.GSP`s striking is superior but if this goes to the ground Hughes has a good ground game and good GNP him into submmision or submit him on the mat. Too many variables here for it to be a mismatch. Either way another GSP victory would be good for the UFC as well as the welter division in MMA in terms of bringing clarity to 170lbs.Anything less would just bring even more anarchy to the inconsistency of MMA already.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Gsp is an obvious favourite but to say hughes has no chance is pretty foolish.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

I stick by my prediction.
I thoroughly believe GSP will mush Hughes into mince meat.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Oh i agree and think gsp will wreck him, but hughes at least as a shot.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

I hope so, but I think Hughes will work for a takedown no matter what it takes...he's knows he's a sitting duck on the outside...his only chance is a sub or bring it to the ground and even then GSP always seems to have an answer for him. I'm sure Hughes will have a new gameplan because in their second fight Hughes didn't look like he should have been in the ring with him.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
Boinko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX
I hope so, but I think Hughes will work for a takedown no matter what it takes...he's knows he's a sitting duck on the outside...his only chance is a sub or bring it to the ground and even then GSP always seems to have an answer for him. I'm sure Hughes will have a new gameplan because in their second fight Hughes didn't look like he should have been in the ring with him.
I agree about the ground game.
After St. Pierre's total domination of Koschek on the ground, I don't give Hughes that much of an advantage should it go to mat. Yes, that's obviously where Hughes wants it to be since he's totally overmatched standing up, but George has a hell of a ground game.
Stylistically, this just isn't a good matchup for Hughes. Even in their first fight, George was doing very well before getting caught in that armbar.
And if Hughes is going to pull it off this time, he'll have to do it in a similar manner. A quick, unexpected submission. And that could happen...
Boinko is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Hughes already finished him in under a round, and GSP just lost to Serra in embarassing fashion, to think Hughes has no chance is foolish.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2007, 11:40 PM   #9
Frankwhite

Hughes has exactly 50% chance to win this fight.
On top of that GSP will come to fight night well prepared, focused and ready to demolish Hughes. Hughes on the other will probably enter the ring big headed but you can rest assured Matt is trainning very hard.
Ready to take GSP to the ground for Hughes Money Plan.

Hughes in 2nd round.

Who will be in Hughes?GSP Corner ??????
Frankwhite is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #10
Quik
Belt holder
ESB Addict

GSP will end Hughes career.
Quik is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 06:57 PM   #11
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwhite
Who will be in Hughes?GSP Corner ??????
For Hughes it will almost surely be Matt Pena-his boxing coach, Mark Fiore-his wrestling coach, and Robbie Lawler-his teammate.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #12
demzor
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1363

Don't ever count Matt Hughes out..
demzor is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #13
amhlilhaus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

st pierre was caught by a fluke punch, it illustrates how fine a line mma gloves and striking can be. but hughes is a legend and it's never a good idea to totally rule out someone like this, for him to win he'll have to take pierre down consistently and maintain a busy workrate on the mat, he can't be stood up too many times because each time he's on his feet he's in a disadvantageous situation.
amhlilhaus is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 12:10 AM   #14
Boinko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs
Hughes already finished him in under a round, and GSP just lost to Serra in embarassing fashion, to think Hughes has no chance is foolish.
I don't think anyone really believes Hughes has no chance. It's just pre fight trash talk.
I doubt many people would consider Hughes the favourite, but there are so many variables that is anyone really going to be stunned if Hughes wins? Surprised yes. Stunned no.
Boinko is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinko
I don't think anyone really believes Hughes has no chance. It's just pre fight trash talk.
I doubt many people would consider Hughes the favourite, but there are so many variables that is anyone really going to be stunned if Hughes wins? Surprised yes. Stunned no.
Outside of the "volatility of MMA" and the high risk of a "fluke Punch" landing. Meaning, GSP being caught off guard or making a dumb mistake, or going in there tentative.....I truly believe Hughes has no chance of winning this fight. This is very similar, different styles of course, but similar to Silva vs Franklin, in that Franklin had no way to beat him. Hughes has no way to beat St. Pierre. Anyone that thinks Hughes is going to get St. Pierre on his back, forget about then keeping him there to GnP him, is kidding themselves. St. Pierre made a mistake, an AMATEUR mistake at that, in the first fight and Hughes did a very basic basic basic move to beat him. You learn that in 1st grade of BJJ, if someone over commits on a kimura.....you armbar them. It is by no means an indication that Hughes has any shot of doing it again to GSP. but everything GSP did in the rematch, he can and will do again....outstrike him, take him down, stuff his takedowns, pass his guard, and knock him out GSP is more skilled, more athletic, stronger, quicker, and more hungry.....he's going to destroy him. Simple as that
BewareofDawg is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum