Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #31
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dewsbury
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 100
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I agree. But Ricky is often given the 'he beat Tszyu' as if it elevates him above many based on one phenomenal win. Tszyu was past his best and not all that in his prime.
Agreed that 1 big win does not give him a pass over the likes of Naz.Hatton was a good fighter but I think sometimes his popularity because of his style and his huge fan base get confused with greatness.I remember a casual fan at work telling me how Hatton would"knock his head off easy"before the Pac fight.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #32
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Boxrec certainly isn't a great way to gauge these men. Bungu had been inactive IIRC. Vasquez had been stopped more impressively (Contreras, Avelar) and comprehensively beaten (Khaokor) was out of his best weight and past his best.

Medina wasn't all that.
I disagree. Comparing fighters, ability etc is just merely opinion. The achievements I mentioned are irrefutable facts and impressive ones. The list could have gone on.

I see your point about how Vasquez was stopped but I've come to over look the bad points more because I feel boxing fans just argue and pick holes in a guys career in an attempt to show they aren't super human and unstoppable. In boxing if a fighter isn't invincible then for some reason they aren't good and that seems to apply even when we discuss fighters like mayweather, leonard, marciano etc
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #33
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.Townend View Post
He was very good at his best and could bang a bit.He was by far and away the best Hatton fought and was the best in the division at the time.
Of course, I'm not saying he's shit. But flopped by Hurtado and stopped by Phillips? Best wins Judah, Mitchell and an old Chavez?

Most people seem to consider him one of the best ten stone fighters and one of the 'greats' from the last era. I strongly disagree with that, I of course concede he was top class, the best 140lber of the day and had a real solid blow behind his right hand.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #34
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
I disagree. Comparing fighters, ability etc is just merely opinion. The achievements I mentioned are irrefutable facts and impressive ones. The list could have gone on.

I see your point about how Vasquez was stopped but I've come to over look the bad points more because I feel boxing fans just argue and pick holes in a guys career in an attempt to show they aren't super human and unstoppable. In boxing if a fighter isn't invincible then for some reason they aren't good and that seems to apply even when we discuss fighters like mayweather, leonard, marciano etc
Better resume is not just names but the context of the win and manner of victory.

This isn't picking holes, this is fact. When discussing 'who is greater' you have to pick apart both fighters to determine which had the stronger ledger.

I didn't dispute Vasquez wasn't good. But multi-weight 'champ' isn also highly misleading. Also, I'm one of the last people who would discount someone after a loss. But having watched a fair bit of Vasquez Sr, I can confirm he wasn't all that. So I disagree that you should judge an opponent on face value.

Oh, and Leonard wasn't undefeated either.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #35
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.Townend View Post
Agreed that 1 big win does not give him a pass over the likes of Naz.Hatton was a good fighter but I think sometimes his popularity because of his style and his huge fan base get confused with greatness.I remember a casual fan at work telling me how Hatton would"knock his head off easy"before the Pac fight.
Hatton and "greatness" shouldn't (and doesn't) get confused very often.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #36
royalt0208
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Royal County
Posts: 2,630
vCash: 895
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

I would say Naz, would give my breakdown but would likely get ripped by Flea and he intimidates me
royalt0208 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #37
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

Don't be stupid. I think Naz as well, for the record
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #38
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dewsbury
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 100
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Hatton and "greatness" shouldn't (and doesn't) get confused very often.
Not on here perhaps but prior to the Pac loss the feeling I got from casual fans was that the Mayweather fight was a slip up helped by the ref, and that Hatton was pretty much unstoppable.A good mate of mine was so stunned by the Pac defeat his reaction was total disbelief despite me telling him over and over in the build up how nasty a little ****er Manny is in the ring and how good he is.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #39
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

Flea is right about the titles IMHO. In support of the other side of an argument a "multi weight world champ" can easily become a a fighter who "picked up the weaker WBO/IBF trinkets" and vice versa.

You have to give a bit of context, the facts on their own are not usually enough to tell the whole tale and can sometimes be pretty misleading.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #40
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dewsbury
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 100
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalt0208 View Post
I would say Naz, would give my breakdown but would likely get ripped by Flea and he intimidates me
Not suprised,they are rough as **** in thornhill.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #41
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reykjavík
Posts: 22,534
vCash: 2500
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

Naseem's record is more consistent, Hatton beat the best opponent.
TFFP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #42
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

Thornhill estate in Southampton mate, posh as ****
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #43
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reykjavík
Posts: 22,534
vCash: 2500
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.Townend View Post
He was very good at his best and could bang a bit.He was by far and away the best Hatton fought and was the best in the division at the time.
At his best being the key here.
TFFP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #44
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dewsbury
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 100
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Thornhill estate in Southampton mate, posh as ****
Not the Thornhill round the corner from me then.Sorry mate thought you were a Dewsbury lad and was only joking anyway,some nice houses in thornhill dewsbury.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #45
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Who Had a Better Resume, Hatton or Prince Naseem?

No probs mucker
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013