Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Reading any upsets in the tea leaves?
Matthews beats Marsili 16 69.57%
Marsili beats Matthews 7 30.43%
Matthews and Marsili draw 0 0%
Forbes beats Barrett 14 60.87%
Barrett beats Forbes 1 4.35%
Forbes and Barrett draw 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32200
Default January 20th: Derry Matthews vs. Emilano Marsili & Steve Forbes vs. Ryan Barrett

So what's the deal with TV coverage for this Merseyside card? I'm assuming it is televised. BoxNation, Sky, Premier?

Also, what do you all make of the match-ups? It seems both Matthews and Forbes are having it softly bowled to the wicket, set up with fairly toothless opponents judging by their low rate of stoppage in wins over loads of nothing special.

Marsili has tasted domestic success in Italy, but of course that is an inferior domestic scene to the UK's. Derry in spite of his losses is a bit more proven at a higher level.

Forbes is a very good boxer who is very well past his best. Is Barrett an upset threat?
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
WalletInspector
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: January 20th: Derry Matthews vs. Emilano Marsili & Steve Forbes vs. Ryan Barrett

Boxnation.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
WalletInspector is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: January 20th: Derry Matthews vs. Emilano Marsili & Steve Forbes vs. Ryan Barrett

I believe Boxnation IB.

Derry's on a good run of form and performed well up and to the fight being stopped against Rees. I don't know enough about his opponent to say to much but i can't help but think Derry and co fancy there chances of going down this route.

With regards to Forbes vs Barrett, Ryan's a decent lower level domestic fighter who operates on the periphery of the divisions main domestic scene. He's fought Khan professionally and it didn't last long.

Ryan is a rangy southpaw and will fair ok in this fight and may well have a chance against Forbes if he's that far gone. Forbes operates around WW so Ryan will come up to meet him i suspect. It's a hard fight to gauge but they wouldn't of got him Barrett thinking he'll lose to him they will wanna build Forbes up a little i'd think.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Emiliano Marsili
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Nid5u3DM4[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKSbBKWK6DE[/ame]

On a quick glance he's southpaw, lively type who looks to punch with intent. Seems like a rough house at times with crude patches in his work which Derry may like . TBH looking him you'd not batter a eyelid if this was for a European title so it's not a bad match at all. Undefeated Italian Champion who likes a fight and he seems like he's got decent ability and mixes it up well.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Think Forbes will outclass Barrett even if he is gone.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Think Forbes will outclass Barrett even if he is gone.
I'd hope so, you never know with some fighters if he CBA with it and hasn't prepared but i think Steve's professional enough to come over and win on points. Barrett will fight heart out though it's a chance to beat a ex world champion. I'd go for Forbes to win by 4 rounds.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If Derry win the IBo I'd like to see him maybe take on some low-risk names for his record, might even earn him a title shot at the big 4?
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
I'd hope so, you never know with some fighters if he CBA with it and hasn't prepared but i think Steve's professional enough to come over and win on points. Barrett will fight heart out though it's a chance to beat a ex world champion. I'd go for Forbes to win by 4 rounds.
I agree, Forbes is a lazy fighter too. So I think Barrett will take heart from that. It's possible Forbes just turning up thinking he's getting an easy payday and he'll be in that sparring partner mode. If he does and Barrett performs above what he ever has done before he could squeeze a win. But really his talent level shouldn't be enough if Forbes has the right attitude.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post

Yeah. Lots of question marks around 2lb.

The losses to Jo Jo Dan and Mayfield - OK, no big deal. He is too old and never had much appetite for brawling, so these young workhorses with even shreds of talent are going to be too much - he just isn't up to snuff against fringe world contenders and up-and-coming prospects with a lot fewer rings in the trunk. That doesn't necessarily mean he can't stamp out a comfortable living by beating up on C-level types, continually getting a spot on cards of moderate import by selling his name as a former champ (fairly well respected in his day), a popular alum of The Contender, and a close mate/ofttime sparring partner/frequent protege of the various members of Clan Mayweather.

However, the loss to Harrison Cuello is deeply troubling. At the time I remember he cried bloody murder about the decision - but it was conveniently non-televised, so who knows? How does a guy with Forbes' skillset allow it to even be close against a no-mark banger with zero amateur experience who pretty much gets outboxed and shut out by everyone he doesn't stop? (including ****ing Breidis Prescott of all people). Was that a case of CBA?

The question ought to be, is Barrett on about the same level as Cuello? If so, how determined is Stevie to stop the bleeding and avert a disastrous end to his career on a bad losing streak? (currently failing at 70% of his efforts over the last six years; he could risk exiting on as bad as a 3-11 run if he's careless here...)
Old 12-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Done up a poll.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Don't know about Marsili and don't know what state Forbes is in so just guessing.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I reckon Forbes outpoints Barrett, gets a shot at Derry after he wins as well. He was originally going to be taking on Derry but the IBO rejected him.
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyT View Post
I reckon Forbes outpoints Barrett, gets a shot at Derry after he wins as well. He was originally going to be taking on Derry but the IBO rejected him.
Good theory. Forbes needs to give up on 147 and even 140 is a push.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyT View Post
Ouch.

He's definitely small enough a ww/lww to still make 135 despite his age.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #15
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Ouch.

He's definitely small enough a ww/lww to still make 135 despite his age.
Alex Arthur was rejected as well I think.
HeavyT is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum