Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #31
roe

vCash:
Default Re: Martinez drops WBC Title Brands Chavez & Team Cowards

How anyone can criticise Sergio Martinez for this is beyond me. It's just more political bollocks in boxing.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #32
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

As if the Barker and Macklin fights are bad matches. Those two would be competitive with every other "top" fighter in the division.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #33
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Sergio's been fighting dangerous guys, travelling to fight them since i was 11 i'm 23 now and he's beaten some good names other then Williams and Pavlik. I don't blame him for wanting the big fights here and now. He paid his dues years ago IMO.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #34
royalt0208
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 895

IMO Martinez is the epitome of the poorly promoted modern era fighter, I like Lou but since winning the title he has not done a good job with Sergio. I would go into more depth as to why I think this but I can't be arsed, not as if anyone would disagree with that anyway.
royalt0208 is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #35
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Unfair - he's a career 154lb fighter, not a proper middleweight. He was obscure for years and is trying to leverage his champion status to get a big fight. Every fighter does it when they get the chance because they want a money fight for their retirement. Unfair to criticise him for simply asking for it.

Most picked Pavlik to beat him. Let's not rewrite history to suit an agenda. Same with Williams - Martinez was not the favourite and he decimated Williams.

Let's also go through those names: Pirog has one notable win over a prospect. He's a 19 fight novice who is completely overrated for what he's done. His last two fights were against Russian club fighters, FFS!

Golovkin has been having promotional issues that will hopefully be solved soon. He is not able to fight in the US because of them. HBO and Showtime will not give the money for a fight overseas. He's got a reputation from sparring but who has he fought to make him worthy? Kassim Ouma? Who had lost five of his last eight fights?

Andy Lee? Really? He's in the mix but come on... what's he done to merit a shot? He'd lose to Chavez.

Geale's got a decent win over Sylvester, but there's not much to make him a significant challenge and there's certainly no money in it.

It's a shit division at the moment and Martinez is miles ahead. Barker and Macklin are on a par with most of these guys. Barker proved that in the ring with Sergio (and too many discredit Martinez rather than credit Darren), Macklin by losing a razor-thin decision against Sturm.

Lot of shocking posts in here. Flea, mate, you're more balanced than this usually.
We have to take the Pavlik win with a pinch of salt tho mate. Given what we no now, it is a good win, but not a great one. The Williams one I'll concede as I picked him to win as well.

And I actually agree regarding Pirog. He is completely overrated and Martinez would cain him. But everyone is still seemingly high off the Jacobs win to make the fight an interesting one for tele. While Pirog is overrated, EVERYONE already knows that Chavez is shit.

The Lee and Golovkin fights are rather intriguing. We don't really know how good Golov is, and lee will have the height, reach and speed to cause a few problems IMO. Now I'm not necessarily saying either of these men beat him, but they certainly wouldn't be any worse than Chavez.

I no Martinez is looking for that career defining pay day, and I don't begrudge him that at all. He is an excellent fighter who deserves recognition. He is head and shoulders above everyone at 154 and 160 which is the problem. But that one pay day could have been Hopkins who said he would boil down for the chance to fight Martinez, who refused it because he was too small. Yet he slates Manny (a prime featherweight) for not fighting him.

I like Martinez. I really do (even if I think he is a tad overrated). He is completely right to **** the WBC off for lying about a Chavez fight, and is equally right to **** HBO off for not pushing for it. But there are still plenty of other fights out there for me at 154 and 160 to ensure he has a good retirement.
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #36
pong
Belt holder
ESB Addict

martinez is in a really hard position his promoter sucks, hbo and wbc are willing to screw him over in favour of cashcow.he only calls out the two superstars as a marketing tool as do most fighters

macklin is the best fight out there for him.sturm pretends he never heard of him, jr is waste of a greats sperm and GGG and pirog won't be accepted by hbo

anyone see pirog saying GGG need to fight some names before fighting him awhile ago
pong is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #37
Pad-Man
***Team England***

Just had a gander through this thread. I really am lost for words. Martinez is doing what is right for boxing and should be applauded. If every boxer took a moral and financial stand like this it would revive the health of boxing overnight.

WBO are crooked bastards as are WBA and WBC. The Ring is the un-official top belt in my eyes and he is doing right trying to defend just that. Why pay the alphabets sanctioning fee's when you don't have too?

HBO need to grow a pair also. They should give credit and coverage about what Martinez has done. Going against him just shows they are as crooked as the alphabetty's. Just watch Pac v JMM to see what their bias is like.

Martinez, Showtime, Ring Belt = Good combination. I just hope Martinez sparks a trend.
Pad-Man is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #38
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

I just hope Sergio gets a few more fights of value.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #39
Pad-Man
***Team England***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
I just hope Sergio gets a few more fights of value.
I also hope the fans realise what this guy has done. he has cut ties with the powerhouses that dictate things in the US.
Pad-Man is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #40
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad-Man View Post
I also hope the fans realise what this guy has done. he has cut ties with the powerhouses that dictate things in the US.
But he hasn't. He fought Dzinziruk cos HBO told him to and trust me he's not making any financial sacrifice and making a stand.

He gets paid more than Chavez by HBO yet Chavez is the bigger draw at the gate AND gets higher TV ratings. So he's not being shafted by them at all. He decided to fight Dzinziruk for more $$$ rather than Zbik for peanuts.

You really think he's going to jump over to Showtime if they're not paying at least as much as what HBO are willing to pay him?
ishy is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #41
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vano-Irons View Post
So the WBC are favouring a Mexican fighter. Now there's a shock.

This shouldn't really come as a surprise. Sulaiman is a serial prick only looking to enhance his white mansion in the forest.

But Martinez isn't completely innocent. He is walking around calling out Manny and Floyd like he is a massive draw. He is pretty much a middleweight looking for every possibly advantage in the ring, but can't back up his words. He shied away from a Hopkins fight because he isn't big enough, yet calls out Manny.

He calls Chavez a fraud and cherry picker, yet is intent on fighting him and won't let up. Not once have I heard mention of Pirog, Lee, Geale or even Golovkin. He lands a good shot against Williams and beats a drunk Pavlik and suddenly he is demanding things left right and centre like Lady Gaga on speed.
Geale turned down the Martinez fight for October and HBO twice rejected Lee as an acceptable opponent. Golovkin obviously hasn't been able to fight anywhere civilized until last month. Hopkins did not say he would come in at 170, and said Martinez would have to fight him at 175, which is obviously unrealistic and isn't much of a payday either (there's a reason he's so desperate to get back to Canada: he can't draw in the States by himself).

Martinez said at the press conference today that he'd be willing to take on Ward for the right price.
purephase is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #42
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I never thought I'd say it but it might be time for the sport to have a massive overhaul. If every fight boycotted the orgs you'd hear no complaint from me. Even if they chose The Ring belt. It's getting ludicrous and I'd rather the lesser of the evils.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 12:55 AM   #43
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Martinez has been cheated long enough........................
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #44
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

My word, just work up and everyone is taking me seriously I thought a reference to Kouji Sato would be enough

**** Martinez. But nah, ain't really his fault. And I called Pavlik-Martinez
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 01:09 AM   #45
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

As for Pirog and Golovkin, they're no less a challenge than Chavez, hence why I offered them. If not Chavez, take on someone else in the top 10. Pirog certainly looks more formidable than Darren Barker. As for Macklin......eugh.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum