Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

In August it'll be 5 years since PRIDE last put on an event.

Its ruleset is done.

Its champions have come off roids and been humbled.

Its pro-wrestling way of doing business is badly outdated.

Its demise has left Japanese MMA dead in the water.

In short, it is finished. It's over. And its legacy is all but meaningless in modern MMA.

Can we stop pretending that there is still a legitimate divide in the sport, and just move on into an exciting new era for MMA?

I mean, it seems to me that hating on the UFC at this point is pretty much the equivalent of hating on boxing in the Dempsey era because the fighters wore gloves and had a set number of strictly-timed rounds scheduled.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

Quisling quisling quisling quisling
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,633
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

People who still go on and on about pride and complain about every other organization aren't true MMA fans. They were just Pride fans.... if you notice they are also mostly big fake Pro wrestling fans. That is what drew them to Pride, and they have that kind of mentality. I love MMA from all of the orgs. I loved Pride too... of course I know that they were drugged up out the ears as well. UFC is my favorite org. This is because they have the best fighters and also because they ALWAYS put the best in with the best. If you love MMA, you have to love the UFC because the UFC is what is brought MMA into the spotlight and the UFC is what is currently keeping MMA alive and thriving.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
People who still go on and on about pride and complain about every other organization aren't true MMA fans. They were just Pride fans.... if you notice they are also mostly big fake Pro wrestling fans. That is what drew them to Pride, and they have that kind of mentality. I love MMA from all of the orgs. I loved Pride too... of course I know that they were drugged up out the ears as well. UFC is my favorite org. This is because they have the best fighters and also because they ALWAYS put the best in with the best. If you love MMA, you have to love the UFC because the UFC is what is brought MMA into the spotlight and the UFC is what is currently keeping MMA alive and thriving.


That's what I think too.

If you're an MMA fan/sports fan, you'll prefer the UFC, because their guys fight more often, their matchups are more competitive, and it's a serious athletic endeavour. You go to see a sporting event, not a show.

If you just like seeing guys getting curb stomped, then PRIDE is where you'll gravitate towards. Or at least you would have, before it ran itself into the ground.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 2,286
vCash: 1065
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

I love the UFC, but you're an idiot if you totally dismiss Pride. There was some ****ing great fights in that Org.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckay_89 View Post
I love the UFC, but you're an idiot if you totally dismiss Pride. There was some ****ing great fights in that Org.
There was also a shitload of corrupt bullshit that kept the sport from ever becoming more than a niche freakshow in the West.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Coq
Sodomizer
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 690
vCash: 75
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

i miss pride
Coq is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 2,286
vCash: 1065
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
There was also a shitload of corrupt bullshit that kept the sport from ever becoming more than a niche freakshow in the West.

I'm not arguing with you there, but that shouldnt take away from some of the wars we got to enjoy. You're making threads slating the PRIDE fanboys by using the unsavoury aspects of that org, and yeah they annoy me too, but you're also making yourself look ignorant by point blank refusing to respect the guys that came from there. ****, Hendo and Shogun gave us the best fight I've ever seen just a few weeks back and both those guys were PRIDE vets, so your point about PRIDE fighters being exposed in the UFC is totally invalid and makes you look dumb. Loads of those fighters were the real deal.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
There was also a shitload of corrupt bullshit that kept the sport from ever becoming more than a niche freakshow in the West.

Mean while, back in the Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by one punch View Post

See, here's the deal: the liberal biased media, and we KNOW that they ARE , like to create the perception that all or most of GOP candidates are FLAWED, or lack enough real experience, or have serious ethics violations, are not in the mainstream, and/or are corrupt.

Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

Pride was an important part of the sport's history, and usually very exciting. At one point, it had better champions than any other MMA organization. Nor did its rules diverge that much from modern MMA; the gulf wasn't as wide as Queensberry vs. LPR, for example.

It doesn't matter much today, no. But then, neither do Ali or Tyson.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Will Munny
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post


That's what I think too.

If you're an MMA fan/sports fan, you'll prefer the UFC, because their guys fight more often, their matchups are more competitive, and it's a serious athletic endeavour. You go to see a sporting event, not a show.

If you just like seeing guys getting curb stomped, then PRIDE is where you'll gravitate towards. Or at least you would have, before it ran itself into the ground.

UFC had a huge talent gap as well at the time. The top guys kicking the shit out of cans. That's gonna happen when a sport isn't mainstream yet. NOw with it being mainstream, and a huge influx of talent, we are seeing more parity. Same would have happened with Pride. Sports evolve.
Will Munny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
PrinceVega
帝拳ボクシングジム
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

nope thanks.
PrinceVega is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mutantville, North Carolina
Posts: 9,284
vCash: 157
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

Pride is part of MMA's heritage. That's like saying we should forget about UFC 1 - 21 because they happened so many years ago.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #14
JohnJohn
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

Just spent all day watching Pride re-runs on Spike; those are some serious classic fights.
JohnJohn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #15
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: From the Lands Down Under.
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 177
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckay_89 View Post
I'm not arguing with you there, but that shouldnt take away from some of the wars we got to enjoy. You're making threads slating the PRIDE fanboys by using the unsavoury aspects of that org, and yeah they annoy me too, but you're also making yourself look ignorant by point blank refusing to respect the guys that came from there. ****, Hendo and Shogun gave us the best fight I've ever seen just a few weeks back and both those guys were PRIDE vets, so your point about PRIDE fighters being exposed in the UFC is totally invalid and makes you look dumb. Loads of those fighters were the real deal.
I respect the guys who came from PRIDE.

I just don't consider them to be the invincible superhuman ass-kicking machines that the fanboys do.

And when they show up in the octagon looking softer and smaller, without the cartoon physiques, and then get their asses kicked, I don't embarrassingly try to make excuses for them.

For instance, I am of the opinion that ANY version of Shogun gets beaten down by Jon Jones more often than not. But the PRIDE fanboys won't even consider that for one second. Shogun's own brother who was in the corner as well as Shogun himself say that it was the knee 10 seconds into the fight that ****ed him up and he was out of it from then on. But PRIDE fans won't give Jones due credit for straight up beating the living shit out of a 29 year old MMA legend. They just make bullshit excuses for Shogun. PRIDE Shogun is invincible, you see.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013