Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #16
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1065
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

I actually agree that this version of Jones beats prime Shogun, but that doesn't change the fact that it wasn't a prime Shogun he faced. Yeah, there was a lot of steroid abuse in PRIDE, but youve still got to appreciate that they are all getting older as well.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #17
Will Munny
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Can we just stop talking about PRIDE now? Hasn't it been long enough?

There hasn't been a lhw in the sport, up to this point, that was/is capable of consistently beating Jones. He's just that good.
Will Munny is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #18
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckay_89 View Post
I actually agree that this version of Jones beats prime Shogun, but that doesn't change the fact that it wasn't a prime Shogun he faced. Yeah, there was a lot of steroid abuse in PRIDE, but youve still got to appreciate that they are all getting older as well.
Fine, but Shogun didn't lose to Jones because he was old. He wasn't even 30 yet.

And after the Jones fight, he avenged one of his losses in emphatic fashion (though Forrest himself is well past-prime, so really he hasn't avenged that loss at all, the rematch essentially meant nothing), and then he was involved in the consensus FOTY against a resurgent top-5 p4p ATG. That was a fight in which many onlookers feel that Shogun at least deserved a draw.

Plus we must remember that he wasn't facing prime Jones either. He was facing green Jones. We haven't seen prime Jones yet.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #19
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Fine, but Shogun didn't lose to Jones because he was old. He wasn't even 30 yet.

And after the Jones fight, he avenged one of his losses in emphatic fashion (though Forrest himself is well past-prime, so really he hasn't avenged that loss at all, the rematch essentially meant nothing), and then he was involved in the consensus FOTY against a resurgent top-5 ATG. That was a fight in which many onlookers feel that Shogun at least deserved a draw.

Plus we must remember that he wasn't facing prime Jones either. He was facing green Jones. We haven't seen prime Jones yet.

Age isn't everything though. I know the PRIDE fanboys love the 'Shoguns knees are gone' excuse but there's no denying that Shogun has a history of injury problems. Again, I see where youre coming from with you're annoyance Monaro and the likes, but to write off PRIDE because you dont like some of the obsessive fans is petty as hell man.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #20
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Age isn't everything though. I know the PRIDE fanboys love the 'Shoguns knees are gone' excuse but there's no denying that Shogun has a history of injury problems. Again, I see where youre coming from with you're annoyance Monaro and the likes, but to write off PRIDE because you dont like some of the obsessive fans is petty as hell man.
No doubt Shogun has had injury problems. And different fighters peak and decline at different ages.

But the guy was clearly nothing close to shot when it came to the Jones fight. Shogun's problem with looking like shit in that fight stemmed directly from a LHW monster ****ing him up with a vicious knee to the face a few seconds into the fight. He confirms this, his corner confirms it, and his subsequent fights against guys not named Jon Jones confirm it.

I don't disrespect the PRIDE fighters. I disrespect the organization itself, because it was a corrupt, steroid-ridden, mafia-infested racist freakshow.

Sure it staged some classic fights. But it also regularly shamed the sport, and it did absolutely nothing for the growth of the sport in the West, in fact it helped to keep it back in the dark ages.

And I think that the real disrespect comes when "fans" hold some guys up to be invincible superhumans, and then don't give their opponents any credit at all for dominating them.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #21
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

I'm not disagreeing with your last few posts, the fanboys are annoying as **** and PRIDE did have a lot of problems with corruption, but your initial post which basically disregards all the good things it brought was stupid. I know you are fishing to get the PRIDE nuthuggers worked up, but it seems stupid to me to even rise to their idiocy. Just enjoy PRIDE for the great fights it gave us.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #22
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with your last few posts, the fanboys are annoying as **** and PRIDE did have a lot of problems with corruption, but your initial post which basically disregards all the good things it brought was stupid. I know you are fishing to get the PRIDE nuthuggers worked up, but it seems stupid to me to even rise to their idiocy. Just enjoy PRIDE for the great fights it gave us.
Nail been hit on the head with every single word in this post
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 12:39 AM   #23
VX.Nefarious
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Talking about Pride, damn the best MMA fights I've ever seen are from Pride, too bad UFC can't be as exiting.
VX.Nefarious is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 12:54 AM   #24
Chex31
AttackingLikeASlickApache
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VX.Nefarious View Post
Talking about Pride, damn the best MMA fights I've ever seen are from Pride, too bad UFC can't be as exiting.
Chex31 is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 12:54 AM   #25
Chempasillo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 322

sorry, but pride was the best!!!
Chempasillo is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 01:23 AM   #26
Fighting Pride
Belt holder
ESB Addict

They still show old Pride fights on ESPN. It played a special part in MMA history. Fans who were brought up on it will always have fond memories of it.
Fighting Pride is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 01:51 AM   #27
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post
Just spent all day watching Pride re-runs on Spike; those are some serious classic fights.
Haha, I actually did to, but realize that life has to move on and mma will survive without it.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 01:54 AM   #28
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
No doubt Shogun has had injury problems. And different fighters peak and decline at different ages.

But the guy was clearly nothing close to shot when it came to the Jones fight. Shogun's problem with looking like shit in that fight stemmed directly from a LHW monster ****ing him up with a vicious knee to the face a few seconds into the fight. He confirms this, his corner confirms it, and his subsequent fights against guys not named Jon Jones confirm it.

I don't disrespect the PRIDE fighters. I disrespect the organization itself, because it was a corrupt, steroid-ridden, mafia-infested racist freakshow.

Sure it staged some classic fights. But it also regularly shamed the sport, and it did absolutely nothing for the growth of the sport in the West, in fact it helped to keep it back in the dark ages.

And I think that the real disrespect comes when "fans" hold some guys up to be invincible superhumans, and then don't give their opponents any credit at all for dominating them.

So you already know that if any Pride fighter and came to the UFC and lost they were "shot" or "past their prime" right? That is common knowledge around here.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 02:47 AM   #29
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

It's not hard to see who this topic is aimed at.
PIRA is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 03:40 AM   #30
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
People who still go on and on about pride and complain about every other organization aren't true MMA fans. They were just Pride fans.... if you notice they are also mostly big fake Pro wrestling fans. That is what drew them to Pride, and they have that kind of mentality. I love MMA from all of the orgs. I loved Pride too... of course I know that they were drugged up out the ears as well. UFC is my favorite org. This is because they have the best fighters and also because they ALWAYS put the best in with the best. If you love MMA, you have to love the UFC because the UFC is what is brought MMA into the spotlight and the UFC is what is currently keeping MMA alive and thriving.
What a ****ing crock. And most of all what a shitty loaded thread. As you were zombies.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum