boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-25-2007, 09:22 PM   #16
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: HBO/SHOWTIME Need to make stars out of........

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyShell
cool, a genuinely valid argument. yeah it would, but categorizing people for purposes of expediancy is a slippery slope.
The way i see it you can't say all people are the same but when you get alot of people from the same country giving the same view you can generalise to a degree while still knowing not all think that way.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #17
PhillyShell
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotti_killer
The way i see it you can't say all people are the same but when you get alot of people from the same country giving the same view you can generalise to a degree while still knowing not all think that way.
a fair point, but i think the term "yanks" kinda gives away that that's not what was going on in this particular case.
PhillyShell is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #18
Jason997
Contender
ESB Senior Member

This is a good post. The trouble with boxing promotion is that it is slow moving. The big money guys are the old timers because they have managed to make a name for themselves. Younger fighters (who may be better) just can't garner the reputation fast enough to make HBO buy into them 100%.

- Jason
Jason997 is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 09:32 PM   #19
PhillyShell
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason997
This is a good post. The trouble with boxing promotion is that it is slow moving. The big money guys are the old timers because they have managed to make a name for themselves. Younger fighters (who may be better) just can't garner the reputation fast enough to make HBO buy into them 100%.

- Jason
a good point. it doesn't help that some of the guys (like linares) are in weightclasses that don't garner that much attention
Old 12-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #20
Jason997
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Philly -- Linares isn't one I'm worried about. I don't care that he is based in Tokyo, or that he has only fought a few legitimate fights. He will rise very fast.

But I think boxing in general needs to figure out a way to quicken the pace that its young fighters become big names. I suspect this might mean more non-pay TV up front in order to get an extended PPV payback, instead of trying to get it all at once at the end of a few fighter' careers.

- Jason
Jason997 is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #21
PhillyShell
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason997
Philly -- Linares isn't one I'm worried about. I don't care that he is based in Tokyo, or that he has only fought a few legitimate fights. He will rise very fast.

But I think boxing in general needs to figure out a way to quicken the pace that its young fighters become big names. I suspect this might mean more non-pay TV up front in order to get an extended PPV payback, instead of trying to get it all at once.

- Jason
getting sports center (and similar shows) to talk about boxing (at all) would help a lot i think, considering how popular it is. but yeah, i think we can all agree that it would be only helpful to boxing to have more non-ppv fights.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #22
john b
EVERTON 0- OLdham 1
ESB Addict

vCash: 871

I know witter was green against judah but he basically ran away and that put of showtime and hbo. And is last few fights apart from vivian harris have been rather dull affairs. I would not call him the best LWW either .
john b is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #23
Jason997
Contender
ESB Senior Member

"getting sports center (and similar shows) to talk about boxing (at all) would help a lot i think, considering how popular it is. but yeah, i think we can all agree that it would be only helpful to boxing to have more non-ppv fights."

This is exactly right. Somehow promoters need to bring many more of their big name fighters into the mainstream of sports discussion. Right now only a couple of fights per year make Sportscenter.

- Jason
Jason997 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 12:43 AM   #24
crash
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

katsistidis
crash is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 12:45 AM   #25
Maxime
Sweet Science
ESB Addict

vCash: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
The P4P quality fighters that aren't getting P4P fights, HBO and Showtime have the power to make them stars to make big fights in the future. The following need building up:

Guzman - the best 130lber imo - but no one knows him so cant get big fights

Williams - maybe the best 147lber, maybe not but cant get big fights because no on knows him

Chad Dawson - The best 175lber with the P4P level skills/ability. Can't get a big fight because........

Haye - do many people know him stateside? The best Cruser and may become the best HW

Witter - best 140lber but no one knows him

Linares - best 126lber but no one knows him

HBO and Showtime need to grab hold of the biggest talents and promote them because it will make them more money in the future and it will save the sport
Anyone who claims Witter is the best at 140lbs needs to quite watching boxing and check himself into a mental institution right away.
Maxime is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 03:37 AM   #26
LockDog387
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Anyone who claims Witter is the best at 140lbs needs to quite watching boxing and check himself into a mental institution right away.
Witter is a great technical fighter, in which Hatton isn't. Paul Malignaggi is also a good technical fighter, but Witter is more experienced and has more power. To say he is the best the junior welterweight isn't really far off, I mean he is #2 behind Hatton.

As for the topic, Guzman, Williams, and Dawson have been hyped plenty enough, they just need more big fights. (particularly Dawson and Williams)
LockDog387 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #27
youngmonzon
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
Kessler

He has the skills, the look and the likeable personality
I agree. They need to make a star out of Kessler. He could be an ATG.

Also, Bute, Povetkin, Abraham, Haye, Houck, and Paul Williams deserve consideration.
youngmonzon is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #28
Haye
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotti_killer
That would take a rather long time with 300 million americans alone.
HaHa, owned him..
Haye is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum