Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-31-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Why did Lesnar never develop as a fighter?

Brock Lesnar was a professional MMA fighter for over 5 years, and had the money to invest in top-quality coaching.

Yet his stand-up game was still every bit as shit last night as it ever was.

Why?

No-one was expecting him to go from Emmanuel Yarborough to Anderson Silva in only 5 years, but still, the lack of improvement over his career was weird.
Popkins is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Default Re: Why did Lesnar never develop as a fighter?

You have to ask? The dude came into the sport middle aged. He has NO FIGHTING experience to speak of. His wrestling credentials that he was 10 years removed from meant nothing. Likewise his grappling in the UFC was non existent.
You cannot expect to come into the top level of this sport with NO EXPERIENCE, leap frog your way to the top because you're popular and then do well. That's simply stupid.
Fans act like being taught to fight is like being taught to walk. That takes YEARS of training.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
You have to ask? The dude came into the sport middle aged. He has NO FIGHTING experience to speak of. His wrestling credentials that he was 10 years removed from meant nothing. Likewise his grappling in the UFC was non existent.
You cannot expect to come into the top level of this sport with NO EXPERIENCE, leap frog your way to the top because you're popular and then do well. That's simply stupid.
Fans act like being taught to fight is like being taught to walk. That takes YEARS of training.
I'd still expect someone with 5 years of top, top level training to make notable improvements. I don't believe Lesnar did, not in his striking.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
Amrn4s
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Hard head maybe. He should of joined a camp like Jackson's he would have done better in my opinion. Having other good guys to beat up on him. Looks like he can't even take a punch or kick.
Amrn4s is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 04:47 AM   #5
liger05
puroresu fan 4 life!!
ESB Addict

If you don't like or have the instincts to fight back when getting hit you shouldn't be fighting for a living.

Audley Harrison was the same. Olympic champion and in pro game you saw his reaction to being hit and knew he would never make it as he just didn't know how to react.
liger05 is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 04:52 AM   #6
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
I'd still expect someone with 5 years of top, top level training to make notable improvements. I don't believe Lesnar did, not in his striking.
Doesn't work like that. Fighting is at least 80% mental and 20% physical. Your mentality has to be "My might is right!". You ever sparred? The ones in sparring afraid to get hit are the ones that don't make it. They wilt when faced with adversity. When i used to get hit i just wanted to hurt my opponent even more. Most people are born with that instinct. Brock is not. He's weak.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:59 AM   #7
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Doesn't work like that. Fighting is at least 80% mental and 20% physical. Your mentality has to be "My might is right!". You ever sparred? The ones in sparring afraid to get hit are the ones that don't make it. They wilt when faced with adversity. When i used to get hit i just wanted to hurt my opponent even more. Most people are born with that instinct. Brock is not. He's weak.
I still find it strange. I can understand Brock being a fish out of water when he first walked into an MMA gym and first sparred etc, but 5 years of doing this stuff day in day out and 5 years of working with MMA people on his mental preparation etc, I just think it's ****ing bizarre that he was still clueless in a stand-up fight after all of that. You could basically take anyone/anything, and after 5 years of intense, top quality training, they would be vastly superior to how they were when they started. IMO, Brock wasn't. You are right, his mentality must have had a lot to do with it. Perhaps he improved in the gym, but when faced with a real opponent he just crumbled, forgot, and turtled, like we have seen in his last 3 fights.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 05:03 AM   #8
PivotPunch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

The answer is simple: he fought only 8 fights. Brock would probably beat any other fighter with 8 pro fights but he fought in the UFC against guys who have been fighting for 15-20 years. And tonight was the first time he threw leg kicks (its just a bad idea to stand with Overeem), Im sure his striking has imroved Overeem is just the wrong guy to show how much your striking has improved
PivotPunch is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 05:03 AM   #9
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
I still find it strange. I can understand Brock being a fish out of water when he first walked into an MMA gym and first sparred etc, but 5 years of doing this stuff day in day out and 5 years of working with MMA people on his mental preparation etc, I just think it's ****ing bizarre that he was still clueless in a stand-up fight after all of that. You could basically take anyone/anything, and after 5 years of intense, top quality training, they would be vastly superior to how they were when they started. IMO, Brock wasn't. You are right, his mentality must have had a lot to do with it. Perhaps he improved in the gym, but when faced with a real opponent he just crumbled, forgot, and turtled, like we have seen in his last 3 fights.
There's a world of difference to the gym and a 'real' fight. Id hardly expect Brocks training to be of the famed Chute Boxe gym war variety.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:08 AM   #10
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PivotPunch View Post
The answer is simple: he fought only 8 fights. Brock would probably beat any other fighter with 8 pro fights but he fought in the UFC against guys who have been fighting for 15-20 years. And tonight was the first time he threw leg kicks (its just a bad idea to stand with Overeem), Im sure his striking has imroved Overeem is just the wrong guy to show how much your striking has improved
As was Cain then... as was Shane then...
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 05:19 AM   #11
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PivotPunch View Post
Neither Cain or Carwin have resumes that long. Matter of fact their pro experience is hardly that dissimilar to Brocks.
Brock was a promoters dream. That's pretty much his only 'fighting' credential. Standing up or on the mat it would have made no difference. You cannot realistically expect a fighter WITH NO FIGHTING EXPERIENCE to take on a decorated vet of well over a decade an win. You may as well have chucked the Big Show in there with him.
Brock just doesn't have the mentality or the ability. Any wins he did get was bound to flatter him. That said id could watch Brock Mir x1000 and still be entertained.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:12 AM   #12
Zmora
Sława!!!
ESB Full Member

vCash: 3457

It is not like he was actually training for 5 years. He had lots of time off due to his diversomething (this intestinal disease). Last time he had aprox 1 foot of his colon taken of. After such serious surgeries you can't just immediately jump back into training. Those long breaks did thei job

I wonder if Reem knee'd him there in the abs thinking about that...
Zmora is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
geppy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2166

His medical issues didnt help any.

Really the biggest issue was that he didnt know how to react when he got hurt.
geppy is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 07:20 AM   #14
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by geppy View Post
His medical issues didnt help any.

Really the biggest issue was that he didnt know how to react when he got hurt.
Overeem nearly lost a HAND in a club brawl a few years back. Never heard him complaining. Brock needs to grow a pair.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
geppy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2166

Quote:
Overeem nearly lost a HAND in a club brawl a few years back. Never heard him complaining. Brock needs to grow a pair.

Did Brock make excuses? I dont know. I am just being honest, being out for so much time off twice was like taking a few steps back, rather then developing. He was off 14 months before this fight and probably a similar amout the time before. But in the end the biggest issue was how Brock reacted when he gets hurt, he curls up and waits for the ref to stop the fight.
geppy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum