Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-31-2011, 07:29 AM   #16
PivotPunch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Why did Lesnar never develop as a fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Lesnar nearly lost his LIFE because of diverticulitis a few years back. Never heard him complaining. Scurla needs to grow a pair.
PivotPunch is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2011, 07:30 AM   #17
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by geppy View Post
Did Brock make excuses? I dont know. I am just being honest, being out for so much time off twice was like taking a few steps back, rather then developing. He was off 14 months before this fight and probably a similar amout the time before. But in the end the biggest issue was how Brock reacted when he gets hurt, he curls up and waits for the ref to stop the fight.
You keep saying this, but this statement completely disregards the facts that Brock had a shit offence and a shit defence in addition to his horrible reaction to punishment. Had he been able to mount successful, sustained offence, he may have been able to avoid getting pinned back so much, but he never could because his fundamentals were rubbish as was his technique. Continually focusing on his reaction to taking a shot overlooks his technical failings in all stand-up areas.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #18
Ubersteve
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 888

Removal from his combat specialty by a good few years + taking on tough competition straight away + having team death clutch rather than training somewhere else + two major illnesses/surgeries.

If he had fought the same level of competition as Cole Konrad has he would be unbeaten. As it is in less than ten fights he's fought five fights against full or interim heavyweight champs.
Ubersteve is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #19
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PivotPunch View Post
Trust me bub i got a BIG ass pair. REAL TALK.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 07:35 AM   #20
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by geppy View Post
Did Brock make excuses? I dont know. I am just being honest, being out for so much time off twice was like taking a few steps back, rather then developing. He was off 14 months before this fight and probably a similar amout the time before. But in the end the biggest issue was how Brock reacted when he gets hurt, he curls up and waits for the ref to stop the fight.
Brock was very humble in defeat. He knows his limitations. And illness aside he was never cut out for this. I just hope he makes it back to the WWE
Old 12-31-2011, 07:48 AM   #21
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Its been said... he wasnt a fighter, he took onthe sport to learn and faced some of the best. ReLly Have ti admire that but at the end if the day he hasnt spent his life dedicated to fighting. He was a new student with a freakish athletic build

He probably lost the drive along the way
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #22
Hoshi
bigboi
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2419

I think he just didnt have enough time. I remember seething because he was getting shots at top fighters but in hindsight its what stopped him evolving.

If he had fought people with similar experience to him he may have improved. Not outclassing somebody or being outclassed.

Also I feel he got on the MMA train too late.

Dos Santos and Velasquez will be the two top dogs for a while. Not convinced with Overeem
Hoshi is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #23
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Two things.

Brock's training. When you choose a camp that is out of its depth striking wise how are you going to get better?

Brock's focus on size. Instead of dropping weight and being a sharper, better balanced 230 - 240 pound fighter he hits the weights and comes right up to 265 plus. Hid the massive holes in his game and allowed him to bulldoze flat footed guys in the past but anyone with any footwork makes him look useless.
PIRA is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #24
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRA View Post
Two things.

Brock's training. When you choose a camp that is out of its depth striking wise how are you going to get better?

Brock's focus on size. Instead of dropping weight and being a sharper, better balanced 230 - 240 pound fighter he hits the weights and comes right up to 265 plus. Hid the massive holes in his game and allowed him to bulldoze flat footed guys in the past but anyone with any footwork makes him look useless.
I don't think you've been listening to Joe Rogan. Brock moves like a WELTERWEIGHT ffs!
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 09:51 AM   #25
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Two things.

Brock in a month of sundays is clearly NOT a 230lb man.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #26
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Brock in a month of sundays is clearly NOT a 230lb man.
Brock was a 230 pound young man once. You are probably right that 230 would be a stretch but is there absolutely no reason why he could not walk around at 250 - 260 and diet for fights down to 240-250? Quality footwork training would rid him of those oversize legs and he might even learn how to sweep or, god forbid, actually leg kick properly instead of bitch flicking.
PIRA is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 10:06 AM   #27
jsalerno
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1297

Anyone who thought Lesnar had a chance against Reem was just sucked in by the Dana Lite hype. This was never going more than a few minutes. Brock was a freak show experiment for the ufc that went on longer than any of them expected. What scurlaruntings describes is 100% true about brock.
jsalerno is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #28
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Two things.

Nah. Brock should've built on his strengths, not got rid of them. Being a 265lbs man needn't have been a drawback, if he'd fought each fight as a wrestler first and foremost, but supplemented this by working hard at his stand-up with the best coaches available. If he'd cut to 230-240, he'd have lost the only thing which set him apart from the rest. To be a 230-240lbs hw and have success nowadays, you need to have special abilities. Frank Mir has learned this. Brock could never have had the abilities of a Fedor or a Cigano, no matter how hard he'd worked. He should've supplemented his physical strengths, rather than stagnate in the way he did.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #29
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Brock was a 230 pound young man once. You are probably right that 230 would be a stretch but is there absolutely no reason why he could not walk around at 250 - 260 and diet for fights down to 240-250? Quality footwork training would rid him of those oversize legs and he might even learn how to sweep or, god forbid, actually leg kick properly instead of bitch flicking.
The more size he lost, the more he'd have to make it up in skills. That would never have worked out for him.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #30
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
I don't think you've been listening to Joe Rogan. Brock moves like a WELTERWEIGHT ffs!
i never listen to Joe Rogan - I value my sanity and listening to that twat Mike Goldberg puts my TV in danger.
PIRA is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum