Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Is Nate Diaz a realistic contender for next shot at the lw title, or not yet?

Cerrone was being talked of as the next challenger to the Edgar/Henderson winner.

Now that Nate has beat the dogshit out of him, does he stand next in line?

Cerrone was 6-0 in his last 6 and looked superb in his previous fight vs Dennis Siver, whereas this win only takes Nate to 2-2 in his last 4, and other than Cerrone he hasn't beaten a top lightweight in years.

Is Nate now a realistic contender, or is it too early to be saying this? His performance was mighty impressive though.

I think the most likely scenario is the Edgar v Henderson winner will face Gilbert Melendez, while Nate Diaz will meet the winner of the Pettis vs Lauzon match-up.

Popkins is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1065
Default Re: Is Nate Diaz a realistic contender for next shot at the lw title, or not yet?

Yeah Gil definitely deserves the next crack, hopefully Dana can bring him over ASAP as Masvidal was the last challenge in Strikeforce and Gil dealt with him fairly easily. I'd like to see Nate up against either the Pettis v Lauzon winner or the Miller v Guillard winner. A victory in either of those fights would prove he deserves a shot. Of course the only problem is if Gil wins the title he's screwed.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Is Nate Diaz a realistic contender for next shot at the lw title, or not yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckay_89 View Post
Yeah Gil definitely deserves the next crack, hopefully Dana can bring him over ASAP as Masvidal was the last challenge in Strikeforce and Gil dealt with him fairly easily. I'd like to see Nate up against either the Pettis v Lauzon winner or the Miller v Guillard winner. A victory in either of those fights would prove he deserves a shot. Of course the only problem is if Gil wins the title he's screwed.
I think we'll see Ben Henderson(c) vs Nate Diaz for the title someday soon.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1065

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
I think we'll see Ben Henderson(c) vs Nate Diaz for the title someday soon.
I think Bendo beats Frankie too, although Edgar has proven you can never count him out. Melendez is a very tough fight for either guy too. ****, the lightweight division is brilliant.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckay_89 View Post
I think Bendo beats Frankie too, although Edgar has proven you can never count him out. Melendez is a very tough fight for either guy too. ****, the lightweight division is brilliant.
Easily the best division in MMA.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
zarman

vCash:

Pettis beats Diaz to fight the winner of Melendez / Henderson who I believe would both beat Frankie
Old 12-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
You got that right.
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Cerrone was being talked of as the next challenger to the Edgar/Henderson winner.

Now that Nate has beat the dogshit out of him, does he stand next in line?

Cerrone was 6-0 in his last 6 and looked superb in his previous fight vs Dennis Siver, whereas this win only takes Nate to 2-2 in his last 4, and other than Cerrone he hasn't beaten a top lightweight in years.

Is Nate now a realistic contender, or is it too early to be saying this? His performance was mighty impressive though.

I think the most likely scenario is the Edgar v Henderson winner will face Gilbert Melendez, while Nate Diaz will meet the winner of the Pettis vs Lauzon match-up.

If not his next fight then as you say, within his next 2 fights he should get a shot.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
KERRIGAN
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 356

So if both Diaz boys become champions of the 155 and 170 division, where does that leave their sparring partners Melendez and Jake Shields from ever challenging for the title?
KERRIGAN is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERRIGAN View Post
So if both Diaz boys become champions of the 155 and 170 division, where does that leave their sparring partners Melendez and Jake Shields from ever challenging for the title?
Nate and Melendez does pose a problem for 155, but I'm not sure Melendez will beat the Edgar/Henderson winner.

Shields would have to do something special to become a contender again after his embarrassing blow-out vs Ellenberger. Shields will become a Fitch-style fighter who will not be considered a viable challenger even after several victories, I don't see it being a problem.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
****in a

Nate Diaz needs a good win or two before he gets a shot. There's too many great guys putting in work at LW to hand Diaz a shot
Primate is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
KERRIGAN
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 356

Quote:
Nate and Melendez does pose a problem for 155, but I'm not sure Melendez will beat the Edgar/Henderson winner.

Shields would have to do something special to become a contender again after his embarrassing blow-out vs Ellenberger. Shields will become a Fitch-style fighter who will not be considered a viable challenger even after several victories, I don't see it being a problem.
Whilst I agree with you that Shields is unlikely to become a contender at 170, if he were to exceed our expectations here and get on a winning streak and Diaz is the Champ, what do they do?

In boxing the Klitschko brothers avoid each other, but with the UFC owning Strikeforce(and most likely going to wrap it up when contractual obligations expire), it is going to be hard for someone to make a decent living if they stick to the avoidance.
KERRIGAN is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2011, 11:40 PM   #13
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Yes, Nate needs the next shot or at the very least a fight for the number one contender's spot.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Great win but one more fight I think. Pettis, Miller and Guida are good fights as like Cerrone they were all next in line but that last fight messed it up for them.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
Boinko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Gotta give Diaz his due, despite that the fact I hate his street punk attitude. I thought Cerrone would school him and I was quite wrong.
I don't see s a problem with him getting a title shot, so maybe he meets the winner of Edgar/Henderson. Unless he takes another fight before that.
Either way, I have not problem with him fighting for the belt. I don't think he beats either Edgar or Henderson, but I didn't think he would be Cerrone either, so who knows.
Likely though, wrestling will make the difference.
Boinko is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum