Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 01-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
Grillinnap
Flomos are morons
ESB Addict

vCash: 18446744073709551554
Default Re: Should non-English fighters be expected to practice improving their English speak

Carlos Tevez is laughing at this thread.
Grillinnap is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Should non-English fighters be expected to practice improving their English speak

Ofcourse not, what a stupid question. Ufc should promote better in non english speaking countries
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #18
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Fantastically stupid thread. The UFC has been all around the world. Likewise PRIDE built umpteen stars none of which could speak more than two Japanese words and the fans haven't had a problem yet. What a ridiculous question. To be expected though from ESB's very own closet racist.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #19
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

I know there are a lot of dumb, aggressive assholes who watch MMA, but some of you guys have no ****ing reading comprehension at all.

Nowhere did I say that anyone should be REQUIRED or FORCED to learn English. I was very clear about that. That's ****ing ridiculous.

I asked, should it be a part of being a top-level fighter?

It makes you more marketable.

It puts more money in your pocket.

It (I can only assume) makes the UFC happier to give you opportunities when you can directly engage interviewers in press conferences, film promo spots etc.

People wonder why Anderson isn't a HUGE star, considering his dominance and his highlight reel. Why does Machida draw more on PPV when he headlines than Anderson does? A lot of it is because Anderson refuses to learn or speak English. So he can't do shit to promote his fights, and he doesn't connect with audiences outside of Brazil. Whereas someone like Lyoto or JDS can and does.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #20
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

As far as Rampage etc not learning Japanese, that's a completely different ****ing culture and scenario. They have a completely different mindset.

PRIDE marketed Rampage as a homeless street person. I'm sure that'll work just great when the homeless black guy from America takes the microphone and starts speaking to the crowd in Japanese.

The UFC invests a lot of money into its headlining fighters. And there is a lot of money for the fighters to make. If you are working for an American company, and a huge part of your job is doing press work for American media, then I can't understand why you would be at the top level of the sport for five years and still be unable to speak basic English. To me it seems like you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #21
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Nope, cant expect an international fighter to learn english. Afterall, American fighters were never expected to learn Japanese during Pride.

yep
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #22
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beouche View Post
Anderson can talk in English. He just decides not to

You should call him out on it Haggis
Except when in Brazil of course.

Seriously people need to remember that Anderson has a screw loose and likes to **** with people.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
Except when in Brazil of course.

Seriously people need to remember that Anderson has a screw loose and likes to **** with people.
Remember at one of the PRIDE shows he came out dressed up as Michael Jackson?
I wouldn't say he has a screw loose but he's definitely an eccentric comic.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #24
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
I wouldn't say he has a screw loose but he's definitely an eccentric comic.
Awesome. How about letting the English-speaking fans see that side of his personality?

Instead we get a sullen, aloof champion who can't be bothered to learn basic English after five years of being the champion of an American organization. He's a multi-millionaire because of American fight fans, but he can't be bothered to tell the crowd in the arena "Thanks for coming here to see me fight."

Insead the only "eccentric comic" stuff we see out of Anderson is when he takes our money and decides that he'd rather dance around the cage, refuse to fight hard, and just generally troll the shit out of the fans who paid $50 to watch him in the main event.

That's his choice, sure. He can't be forced to learn English.

But it's a bullshit choice. And if I was an American who was putting millions of dollars in his pocket every year, and trying to get him more visibility in the States, I'd be pissed if my champion of 5 years STILL needed a translator to say "He runs his mouth too much. I'm going to kick his ass" for the talking-head soundbite at the start of the PPV telecast.

JDS not only learned English, but also worked hard to overcome his natural quiet personality, in order to put himself out there and make it easier for English-speaking fans to warm to him. That does a lot for his fan following, for his visibility and for his bank balance. IMO it's part of being a modern high-level fighter.

I can't understand why any foreign-language fighter wouldn't put some effort in. Especially when almost everyone they are dealing with in the company they work for is a native English speaker.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #25
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Awesome. How about letting the English-speaking fans see that side of his personality?

Instead we get a sullen, aloof champion who can't be bothered to learn basic English after five years of being the champion of an American organization. He's a multi-millionaire because of American fight fans, but he can't be bothered to tell the crowd in the arena "Thanks for coming here to see me fight."

Insead the only "eccentric comic" stuff we see out of Anderson is when he takes our money and decides that he'd rather dance around the cage, refuse to fight hard, and just generally troll the shit out of the fans who paid $50 to watch him in the main event.

That's his choice, sure. He can't be forced to learn English.

But it's a bullshit choice. And if I was an American who was putting millions of dollars in his pocket every year, and trying to get him more visibility in the States, I'd be pissed if my champion of 5 years STILL needed a translator to say "He runs his mouth too much. I'm going to kick his ass" for the talking-head soundbite at the start of the PPV telecast.

JDS not only learned English, but also worked hard to overcome his natural quiet personality, in order to put himself out there and make it easier for English-speaking fans to warm to him. That does a lot for his fan following, for his visibility and for his bank balance. IMO it's part of being a modern high-level fighter.

I can't understand why any foreign-language fighter wouldn't put some effort in. Especially when almost everyone they are dealing with in the company they work for is a native English speaker.

Cause they arn't here to talk....

If they were paid to talk then fine learn english.

I consider myself a MMA fan....and I ****in don't give a single **** what any MMA fighter has to say.

This is the ****in problem with american culture, I don't give a single **** what J-Lo and Brangolina are doing....same ****in thing with MMA fighter. I don't watch TUF, young adult drama queen and asshole don't interest me in the slightest.

Just imagine a world where ****in Chael Sonnen would just STFU....maybe I wouldn't root for him to get brutaly KTFO each and every ****in time he is fighting...

Maybe you liked what Volkam had to say last friday night ?

Why is this a thread ?

Are you here to watch people fight ? Or ear what they have so say in the post fight interview ?

And just wow...2 pages of this....incredible
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #26
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
Cause they arn't here to talk....

If they were paid to talk then fine learn english.

I consider myself a MMA fan....and I ****in don't give a single **** what any MMA fighter has to say.

This is the ****in problem with american culture, I don't give a single **** what J-Lo and Brangolina are doing....same ****in thing with MMA fighter. I don't watch TUF, young adult drama queen and asshole don't interest me in the slightest.

Just imagine a world where ****in Chael Sonnen would just STFU....maybe I wouldn't root for him to get brutaly KTFO each and every ****in time he is fighting...

Maybe you liked what Volkam had to say last friday night ?

Why is this a thread ?

Are you here to watch people fight ? Or ear what they have so say in the post fight interview ?

And just wow...2 pages of this....incredible
would boxing have been as big as it was back in the day if it wasn't ali, like him or hate him people listened and either wanted to see him win or lose. There will never be another ali but sometimes guys like sonnen get peoples interest. I never thought much of Sonnen until he dominated Okami, then Marquart and then his fight with Silva he went on his promotion thing.....I actually thought there is no way a guy can do this much talking and get killed......so i bet on him.....he did almost exactly what he said he was going to to.....until he got caught.

Sometimes an outspoken guy is a breath of fresh air.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #27
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Itīs important to learn, and I like when the fighters try to speak in english....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #28
Ne5ville14
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX View Post
would boxing have been as big as it was back in the day if it wasn't ali, like him or hate him people listened and either wanted to see him win or lose. There will never be another ali but sometimes guys like sonnen get peoples interest. I never thought much of Sonnen until he dominated Okami, then Marquart and then his fight with Silva he went on his promotion thing.....I actually thought there is no way a guy can do this much talking and get killed......so i bet on him.....he did almost exactly what he said he was going to to.....until he got caught.

Sometimes an outspoken guy is a breath of fresh air.

For the promotion of the fight yes I can agree with you.

It would be much better if a guy can trash talk in english, at least it would be funnier but for everything else, can you honestly tell me that you give a single **** if it's coming from a translator or the guy himself ?

Are you waiting anxiously at the end of the fight to know what Okami or Shogun or any non english speaking fighter has to say ?

Do you buy the UFC magazine to have the latest gossip on the MMA world ?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #29
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
For the promotion of the fight yes I can agree with you.

It would be much better if a guy can trash talk in english, at least it would be funnier but for everything else, can you honestly tell me that you give a single **** if it's coming from a translator or the guy himself ?

Are you waiting anxiously at the end of the fight to know what Okami or Shogun or any non english speaking fighter has to say ?

Do you buy the UFC magazine to have the latest gossip on the MMA world ?
No, I rarely even see a TUF episode and by the time the after fight interview comes on I'm so drunk it doesn't matter to me personally. But to some it does matter especially if they are trying to promote their next fight.
Anderson doesn't have to talk shit he does it in the ring and that's the way he prefers it even if he can speak good english. It's easier for him to let his opponent do the talking....
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #30
Ne5ville14
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX View Post
No, I rarely even see a TUF episode and by the time the after fight interview comes on I'm so drunk it doesn't matter to me personally. But to some it does matter especially if they are trying to promote their next fight.
Anderson doesn't have to talk shit he does it in the ring and that's the way he prefers it even if he can speak good english. It's easier for him to let his opponent do the talking....
Like I said for promo I agree, but most of the time you see some video with a guy dubbing for the fighter, so it really doesn't botter me at all, subtilte could be good too.....but does the new fanbase of UFC know how to read, that is the question... !

Humm...tbh I rarely watch pre fight press conference, but I can't remember a pre fight press conference with a non english speaking fighter.......but I could be really wrong about that !!!

Does it ring a bell for anyone ???

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum