Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 01-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
davidwatts
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default bjj/judo/wrestling.

which one of these would be the most useful and dangerous? bjj?

we hear about bjj and wrestling in mma, however i've hardly ever heard about judo in the sport?
davidwatts is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: bjj/judo/wrestling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwatts View Post

we hear about bjj and wrestling in mma, however i've hardly ever heard about judo in the sport?
You haven't been watching MMA long enough then.
The sport has had plenty of Judoka's. Most of them are primarily in Japan though. Yoshida, Dong Sik Yoon, Satoshi Ishii, and Shungo Oyama to name a few. Note both Fedor and Nog have backgrounds in Judo and have employed it successfully in their fights. IIRC Judo was Nog's first discipline.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
democritus2k

Although we don't hear it mentioned enough, judo does have it all and is perfect for MMA.

It may have something to do with judokas' infatuation with the gi. I say it's time to let that go and embrace MMA.

But what do I know, I'm just another ignorant ******* on ESB.
democritus2k is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

wrestling allows you to control where the fight goes but if you have zero jits knowledge then the wrestler will get subbed.

in style vs style fights people never consider that one style is usually dominant because they embrace teachings from other styles.

wrestling today is only so dominant because they know how to avoid punches and subs.

even randy couture threw a feint to the head before taking toney down but toney would never feint a takedown and then punch couture.

if all styles had zero knowledge of others styles then you would have to favour jits.

in reality, wrestling is the best because they would learn submission defence but it seems that wrestling is probably the hardest to master and combat.

wrestlers come from a VERY hard system of competition, cutting weight, fighting the best etc it isn't necessarily the same case for boxing, jits or judo. you don't get given a black belt in wrestling for attending classes for 10 years.

i wonder how many guys like gsp can adopt wrestling later and be equal to a wrestler.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
democritus2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
You haven't been watching MMA long enough then.
The sport has had plenty of Judoka's. Most of them are primarily in Japan though.
Yea, I'd love to see more of them come and compete in the US. The few judokas that do MMA in the US kick ass in opinion, too bad their striking usually sucks though.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:

Judo
Yoshihiro Akiyama
Karo Parisyan
Manvel Gamburyan
Fedor Emelianenko
Satoshi Ishii
Jimy Hettes

There are loads of guys from Judo in MMA.

One of the most under utilised martial arts. For stand up grappling it is one of the kings. So many opportunities for a throw or trip are lost in a fight.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
democritus2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Judo

There are loads of guys from Judo in MMA.

One of the most under utilised martial arts. For stand up grappling it is one of the kings. So many opportunities for a throw or trip are lost in a fight.
It's always awesome to see a judoka transition from a failed double leg takedown to a throw. Most guys don't even see it coming. Next thing they know, they're getting mounted and about to get submitted. Truly beautiful stuff to behold.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by democritus2k View Post
It's always awesome to see a judoka transition from a failed double leg takedown to a throw. Most guys don't even see it coming. Next thing they know, they're getting mounted and about to get submitted. Truly beautiful stuff to behold.
Watch Japanese MMA dude....
Old 01-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
democritus2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Watch Japanese MMA dude....
I might just have to do that...
Old 01-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
davidwatts
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

its just that i've hardly ever heard rogan mention judo when describing a fighter. however you are right with the japanese of course.
davidwatts is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
its just that i've hardly ever heard rogan mention judo when describing a fighter. however you are right with the japanese of course.
Don't put too much stock in Rogans rhetoric. I believe his knowledge of judo is minimal. Plus it's not an art form that you see much in the UFC.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
aliwasthegreatest
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Judo is used plenty in MMA, but not as much as it could be. The reason is that you have to adapt it to a no-gi setting. Karo showed that this is very very doable. Just takes the effort of going about adapting the gi throws you know to a no gi setting.
aliwasthegreatest is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwasthegreatest View Post
Judo is used plenty in MMA, but not as much as it could be. The reason is that you have to adapt it to a no-gi setting. Karo showed that this is very very doable. Just takes the effort of going about adapting the gi throws you know to a no gi setting.
The UFC should at least give fighters the choice.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

As mentioned before, the things that judo brings to the table that don't exist in wrestling involve the gi. All of the standing throws and trips in judo exist in wrestling but aren't used much because they rely on the guy being thrown to be leaning or off balance of moving in one direction..."heavily" is the only way I can put it. In a way where you know they're going to have a lot of weight over one foot, I guess. In judo you can create those situations by jerking the guy around with the gi. With no gi, singles and doubles and such are way easier to pull off, hence why they're emphasized in wrestling and used so much in MMA. When judo guys are really good and the opponent isn't expecting it, the throws work. Otherwise, the real upshots of judo in mma are the good base and knowledge of subs, maybe the footwork. But if you watch the olympic judo matches, try to picture them without the gi. Or better yet, try them on the mat with just the guy's arm and no sleeve or collar. It gets a lot ****ing harder.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
Zmora
Sława!!!
ESB Full Member

vCash: 3457

Takedowns in judo are very allrounded and are a great tool. But not those most spectacular with which most people associate judo those are actually very hard to adapt into modern mma.

Wrestling is very common right now, gives fighters great base in mma. Top control, takedowns, clinch game it's all there. Also training is a lot about power. Id say good wrestling + good boxing are most common among top fighters.

BJJ is all about ground game. But I think for mma it's better to focus on grappling. BJJ is more technical and...relaxed? Grappling is more dynamic, power based. Good BJJ/grappler is always dangerous, it's like havin a one punch ko power. Unfortunatelly nowadays it isn't enough.

I trained judo for 6 months, did some wrestling (with mates) and and I train bjj for some time now. I like it cause it's fun and challenging. But if I wanted to go into mma then probably I'd focus more on wrestling (mostly take down defense) and boxing.
That's just for the start. Of course the more you can the better it is for you
Zmora is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum