Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 1000
Default "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

Perhaps we should think twice before we criticize the likes of Sapp, Pudzianowski, and Choi. Japan's obsession for Godzilla vs. Mothra fights notwithstanding, a little variety is a good thing. Sometimes even great conventional fighters have trouble with exotic opponents, and need to adapt their styles accordingly. This is a good thing. It stretches MMA's skillset just a little further.

Remember Sapp smashing Nogueira onto the mat? Or how Nogueira couldn't land his favorite submissions because Sapp was just that ridiculously big and strong? Or for that matter, how about Fedor -- still the consensus GOAT heavyweight -- struggling to throw Choi and ending up on his back?

We could all use a little freakshow fight from time to time. If nothing else, it reminds us that even great MMA fighters aren't always immune to something they haven't seen before.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mutantville, North Carolina
Posts: 9,281
vCash: 157
Default Re: "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

I love freakshow fights. They're entertaining as hell. I hope that Strikeforce is still able to put on a few here and there. If not, there is a wide open market for it and whomever puts together the most entertaining card from all the remnants outside of the UFC will do good business.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
PivotPunch
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,518
vCash: 75
Default Re: "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

I like them too as long as there arenīt too many of them
PivotPunch is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,171
vCash: 100
Default Re: "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

People get so mad when there's a freakshow fight. Its hilarious how mad people get when it comes to two blokes fighting eachother in a cage.
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 1000
Default Re: "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

HM Choi was also a decorated K-1 fighter with some notable wins, hes also gone toe to toe with the baddest men in K-1 and went to decision or to the full rounds. The guy also has a couple of wins in MMA.

Unlike HMC who is an actual fighter and can take punches, BROCK LESNAR is a bigger freak show, a guy whose as big as a house, looks like a brick with no neck, and who doesnt have any notable striking and ground game looking lost and all at sea against Cain and especially against a proper experienced fighter like Overeem. Brock's main weapon has been bullying smaller opponents but as soon as anyone lands a punch on him he RUNS AWAY lol.
monaroCountry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 1000
Default Re: "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Jab View Post
People get so mad when there's a freakshow fight. Its hilarious how mad people get when it comes to two blokes fighting eachother in a cage.
Zombies seem to love watching Brock
monaroCountry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Jab View Post
People get so mad when there's a freakshow fight. Its hilarious how mad people get when it comes to two blokes fighting eachother in a cage.
You mean 'Dana' gets mad because he hates freak show fights... Oh wait a minute....
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,171
vCash: 100
Default Re: "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

Yeah, its not like Pride had ****ing freak show fights or anything.
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Jab View Post
Yeah, its not like Pride had ****ing freak show fights or anything.
And? PRIDE made no bones about. Neither do i. Got no problem at all with freak show bouts. But if you recall Dana said he hates freak show bouts. Then he bought Kimbo to the UFC much to the chagrin of some other fighters as he was on a nice salary. Then he gave us James Toney vs Couture as a headliner? And Toney walks away with 400k? Laughable at best.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,713
vCash: 847
Default Re: "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
HM Choi was also a decorated K-1 fighter with some notable wins, hes also gone toe to toe with the baddest men in K-1 and went to decision or to the full rounds. The guy also has a couple of wins in MMA.

Unlike HMC who is an actual fighter and can take punches, BROCK LESNAR is a bigger freak show, a guy whose as big as a house, looks like a brick with no neck, and who doesnt have any notable striking and ground game looking lost and all at sea against Cain and especially against a proper experienced fighter like Overeem. Brock's main weapon has been bullying smaller opponents but as soon as anyone lands a punch on him he RUNS AWAY lol.
Choi's biggest win in MMA is Jose Conseco...

Just let that sink in for a little while.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mutantville, North Carolina
Posts: 9,281
vCash: 157
Default Re: "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
And? PRIDE made no bones about. Neither do i. Got no problem at all with freak show bouts. But if you recall Dana said he hates freak show bouts. Then he bought Kimbo to the UFC much to the chagrin of some other fighters as he was on a nice salary. Then he gave us James Toney vs Couture as a headliner? And Toney walks away with 400k? Laughable at best.
The Couture/Toney fight was only the co-main event with Frankie Edgar/BJ Penn 2 as the headliner. Personally I don't care if Dana White goes back on his word every week - he's not the leader of the free world or a priest. He's a fight promoter and as long as they keep bringing us the best fights - it's all good. Was Couture/Toney a great fight? No but it was an intriguing matchup that got people talking.

It wasn't a main event like a Kimbo Slice fight on Elite XC. When Kimbo fought in the UFC it was always lower in the card - usually the opening bout. If the other legit MMA fighters have a problem with what KImbo was getting paid then they need to just look in the mirror. It's show business and that means putting butts in the seats. Is that fair - no but these guys aren't ronin wandering the wasteland saving peasants -they are professional fighters that are paid to put on a show. Kimbo sold tickets and is still doing it in boxing although the party almost came to an end last week with his third fight. lol

I don't see the UFC ever making a habit of promoting freakshow fights which creates an opportunity for the other orgs out there. If I had a financial backer I would scoop up every Bob Sapp, Tank Abbott, Kimbo Slice and Butterbean around and put together a hell of a show with them and sell the whole thing on PPV.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,171
vCash: 100
Default Re: "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
And? PRIDE made no bones about. Neither do i. Got no problem at all with freak show bouts. But if you recall Dana said he hates freak show bouts. Then he bought Kimbo to the UFC much to the chagrin of some other fighters as he was on a nice salary. Then he gave us James Toney vs Couture as a headliner? And Toney walks away with 400k? Laughable at best.
Yeah I agree, that was some bullshit. Kimbo should've been fed cans.
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
Default Re: "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

KIMBO should fight bobby lashley
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #14
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Jab View Post
Yeah I agree, that was some bullshit. Kimbo should've been fed cans.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:19 AM   #15
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 1000
Default Re: "Freakshow" Fights -- not really a bad thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarngold View Post
The Couture/Toney fight was only the co-main event with Frankie Edgar/BJ Penn 2 as the headliner. Personally I don't care if Dana White goes back on his word every week - he's not the leader of the free world or a priest. He's a fight promoter and as long as they keep bringing us the best fights - it's all good. Was Couture/Toney a great fight? No but it was an intriguing matchup that got people talking.

It wasn't a main event like a Kimbo Slice fight on Elite XC. When Kimbo fought in the UFC it was always lower in the card - usually the opening bout. If the other legit MMA fighters have a problem with what KImbo was getting paid then they need to just look in the mirror. It's show business and that means putting butts in the seats. Is that fair - no but these guys aren't ronin wandering the wasteland saving peasants -they are professional fighters that are paid to put on a show. Kimbo sold tickets and is still doing it in boxing although the party almost came to an end last week with his third fight. lol

I don't see the UFC ever making a habit of promoting freakshow fights which creates an opportunity for the other orgs out there. If I had a financial backer I would scoop up every Bob Sapp, Tank Abbott, Kimbo Slice and Butterbean around and put together a hell of a show with them and sell the whole thing on PPV.

PIRA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013