Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #16
TFFP

vCash:
Default Re: 2 Much Hype About Undefeated Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Foquinha
well I strongly disagree that Forrest was not as good p4p as a faded and weight-drained Eubank.
I'm neutral for starters, I'm passionate about boxing...not about who happens to be born on the same patch of land as myself. I reckon a lot of UK boxing fans have more respect for Mosley, even with 4-5 losses on his ledger.
Before the Kessler fight maybe, but that just confirmed to British fans what we always thought about Joe

To be honest, not many people would know who Mosley was if he walked up and "check hooked" them. Only the hardcore, of which there aren't that many, and even then it would be 50/50 at best

Forrest never was and never will be as good as Eubank, weight-drained or not. You will never convince me otherwise
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #17
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
Before the Kessler fight maybe, but that just confirmed to British fans what we always thought about Joe

To be honest, not many people would know who Mosley was if he walked up and "check hooked" them. Only the hardcore, of which there aren't that many, and even then it would be 50/50 at best

Forrest never was and never will be as good as Eubank, weight-drained or not. You will never convince me otherwise
fair enough, so we will have to agree to disagree on that!
cheers man
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #18
pudding
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I disagree

It's fantastic to have an unbeaten record. I'm sure there are others, but I'll use Joe Calzaghe as an example:

Joe Calzaghe has never lost a professional boxing match in 44 (FOURTY FOUR) fights

It gets better and better each time you say it. Have a go

Billy Conn once said there was always something suspicious about an undefeated record. In Joe Calzaghe's case it was somewhat unavoidable. The big names of the division ducked him so that he couldn't get any of the big fights which he wanted. If there was only one champion per division inveterate duckers like Roy Jones would have had to face Calzaghe in the ring. Although Jones ducked Calzaghe, it is not immediately clear whether he was ducking a loss or just a tough fight.
pudding is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #19
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudding
Billy Conn once said there was always something suspicious about an undefeated record. In Joe Calzaghe's case it was somewhat unavoidable. The big names of the division ducked him so that he couldn't get any of the big fights which he wanted. If there was only one champion per division inveterate duckers like Roy Jones would have had to face Calzaghe in the ring. Although Jones ducked Calzaghe, it is not immediately clear whether he was ducking a loss or just a tough fight.
I'd say the former, from a completely neutral viewpoint
Old 12-25-2007, 11:23 AM   #20
The Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudding

prove that jones ducked calzaghe. it's strange how many calzaghe fans have it out for jones. jealousy? perhaps.
The Clam is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #21
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clam
prove that jones ducked calzaghe. it's strange how many calzaghe fans have it out for jones. jealousy? perhaps.
Actually, most Calzaghe fans have great respect for Jones. Stop making things up

Shame there was never any real interest from either party. Jones was doing his thing at LHW when Calzaghe had started to make some noise

It's Hopkins that is overrated
Old 12-25-2007, 11:36 AM   #22
The Clam

Quote:
Actually, most Calzaghe fans have great respect for Jones. Stop making things up

Shame there was never any real interest from either party. Jones was doing his thing at LHW when Calzaghe had started to make some noise

It's Hopkins that is overrated

i'm not making things up. just as you cite the less intellegent american fans, i cite the less intellegent calzaghe fans.

i like calzaghe, and it's unfortunate that they weren't aligned for a bout. jones was doing his thing and calzaghe his.

hopkins is overrated at this point, but let's see what joe can do.
The Clam is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #23
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
i'm not making things up. just as you cite the less intellegent american fans, i cite the less intellegent calzaghe fans.

i like calzaghe, and it's unfortunate that they weren't aligned for a bout. jones was doing his thing and calzaghe his.

hopkins is overrated at this point, but let's see what joe can do.
He's always been overrated I'm afraid

Hence him running like a girl 6 years ago
Old 12-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #24
Keihule
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I have mixed opinions about undefeated hype.

Personally, I think we all forget here on the forums that any professional fighter is no bum and goes through extensive training to prepare for bouts, so anyone who has not lost to other professionals is certainly worthy of some credit.

However, I think people hype undefeated's too quick. A guy is 15-0 and they say he should be challenging top contenders, I think people get title shots too quick too, guys fighting for belts with barely 20 fights. I think that combined with this "fringe fan" money making PPV frenzy is destroying weight divisions and giving the title of "#1 contender" less and less significance each and every day.

Being the #1 contender means absolutely nothing now, it doesnt even guarentee you a shot at the title anymore.
Keihule is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #25
The Clam

Quote:
He's always been overrated I'm afraid

Hence him running like a girl 6 years ago
right. well, i don't rate hop too highly, but he's still a pain in the ass to fight. this is why jones's domination was inpressive. for joe to tko hop would be a feat, even if ol' hops is leaning on a cane.
The Clam is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #26
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
right. well, i don't rate hop too highly, but he's still a pain in the ass to fight. for joe to tko hop would be impressive, even if he is leaning on a cane.
Even I don't think Joe will win by stoppage

50% Joe Lacey's him, and he looks every bit his age. Even the wiley old defence starts to look creaky under the intense pressure. Wide points win

49% A clear, but competetive points win for Joe despite countless cheating tactics from Ol Popkins

1% Hopkins disqualified for headbutting
Old 12-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #27
Nigel_Benn
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Im british and have a ton of respect for mosley rather then calzaghe.
Nigel_Benn is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #28
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel_Benn
Im british and have a ton of respect for mosley rather then calzaghe.
Deport
Old 12-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #29
The Clam

Quote:
Even I don't think Joe will win by stoppage

50% Joe Lacey's him, and he looks every bit his age. Even the wiley old defence starts to look creaky under the intense pressure. Wide points win

49% A clear, but competetive points win for Joe despite countless cheating tactics from Ol Popkins

1% Hopkins disqualified for headbutting

haha. i heard that hopkins was headbutting cement walls in anticipation for this fight.

i entirely agree with those percentages. i don't think there will be a stoppage either, but if calzaghe pulled it off with those brittle hands, it would be difficult to continue to deny the welshman.
The Clam is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #30
pudding
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Just after Calzaghe gave Lacy a boxing lesson Jones admitted in a BBC interview that he avoided fighting Calzaghe because he had a "belt to protect" as he put it. You can try the BBC website to see if that interview is still there.
pudding is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum