Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
JayF
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Sussing out second rate MMA gyms

James Doolan starts his blogging journey for [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] with this lovely little number, following on from the great blogs he did at MMA Hit Pit.

He looks at five ways to gauge whether you're training at a second rate gym, and how coaches will try to pull the wool over your eyes.

I've seen all this stuff first hand before and this is a top read from the top European-ranked bantamweight!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Quote:
1. No Fundamentals.

I like to refer to this as ”all flash and no bash”. At these clubs all the students are training flying triangles, cartwheel guard passes, flying knees, spinning kicks and all other manners of cool stuff, but they can’t pass guard, they can’t escape side control or posture on the mat, they can’t stand in a balanced stance with their hands up while striking. Good coaches start and finish with fundamentals. World class fighters tend to be world class because their fundamentals are world class.

Why are coaches not teaching fundamentals? From the dodgy gyms I have encountered, it’s usually because either the coach himself doesn’t know the fundamentals, in which case he shouldnt be coaching, or the coach wants to show off and impress people with his amazing knowledge and flash moves. In either case you as a student are being sold short. If you’re paying for MMA coaching you really want functional MMA techniques, tried and tested stuff, not random low percentage techniques that rarely work.

One of my favorite UK fighters Terry Etim was recently talking about his guillotine win over Edward Faaloto at UFC 138. In most BJJ gyms the guillotine is up there with the first chokes you will learn. Terry mentioned in this interview that after training sessions he would stay back and do a hundred reps of the guillotine. Now he has one of the best guillotines in MMA.
JayF is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum